New holsters for pocket guns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

New holsters for pocket guns

Post by jdad »

Since I'm not a Tier 1 operator and I tuck my shirt in, pocket carry is my best option. The biggest problem is finding a holster that protects the safety, trigger, doesn't print, and keeps the grip in the correct upright position. I've used the Uncle Mikes, DeSantis, Galco, but none of them were what I wanted. I found a new company out of WA. (LOOK BLAINE :D )

Recluse Holsters http://www.recluseholster.com/

They make one sided, two sided (like I have), back pocket, cargo pocket, backup mag models. Mine were upgraded to horsehide at no charge. I have one for my Kahr CW380 and Sig P938. Super easy to draw from. Your trigger finger slips perfectly along the side of the pistol. You do need to remove the holster to reholster the pistol.

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New holsters for pocket guns

Post by Pete44ru »

Interesting, but when I pocket carry (usually my .380 Browning M-1955), I simply slip in an old empty/flat leather wallet into the pocket's outer side, next to the pistol, to prevent printing.

BTW - my pocket's ALWAYS emptied & cleaned prior to using it for CCW, to avoid any issues like trigger interference and/or lint/debris working into the pistol's innards.

yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

That is a good looking pocket holster. I use the pocket protector from Simply Rugged and like it quite a bit. It's a rough out design that really grabs the inside of your pocket.
http://www.simplyrugged.com/ecommerce/P ... parent=669

Eric
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

yooper2 wrote:That is a good looking pocket holster. I use the pocket protector from Simply Rugged and like it quite a bit. It's a rough out design that really grabs the inside of your pocket.

Eric
Simply Rugged are good, but the problem I found was how they sat in dress pants. Most dress pants have a tapered pocket as do a lot of pants. Notice how the holster is tapered like your pocket, on the Recluse.

If it works for you that's all that matters.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Tier 1 operator? What's that someone who only handles important telephone calls?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

jeepnik wrote:Tier 1 operator?
A sarcastic reference to the posers on AR15.com. You know those tier 1 operators who never leave their basement, without a Glock 17 on the hip, a Glock 26 IWB appendix carry, and a Glock 43 in an ankle holster. :lol: Oh, forgot, they also have 3 backup mags for each. :wink:
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

jdad wrote:
A sarcastic reference to the posers on AR15.com. You know those tier 1 operators who never leave their basement, without a Glock 17 on the hip, a Glock 26 IWB appendix carry, and a Glock 43 in an ankle holster. :lol: Oh, forgot, they also have 3 backup mags for each. :wink:
You forgot the AR with every attachment known to mankind, and a short barreled pump shotgun slung on their back.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

jeepnik wrote:
jdad wrote:
You forgot the AR with every attachment known to mankind, and a short barreled pump shotgun slung on their back.
I'm almost laughing too hard to type. Thanks, I needed that.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've had trouble with pocket holsters. An Uncle Mike's for my J frame Airweight, and Airlite, and the sleeve that came with my LCP......They stick in the pocket, and the entire pocket wants to pull out of the pants, gnarling up the piece in the process.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

BlaineG wrote:I've had trouble with pocket holsters. An Uncle Mike's for my J frame Airweight, and Airlite, and the sleeve that came with my LCP......They stick in the pocket, and the entire pocket wants to pull out of the pants, gnarling up the piece in the process.
Exactly one of the problems I was having. I'm going to get one for my 642 also now that I've tried these two out.

You may be able to go direct to his shop and test fit one. It's only a 30 minute drive up to Gig Harbor from Spanaway?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

jdad wrote:
BlaineG wrote:I've had trouble with pocket holsters. An Uncle Mike's for my J frame Airweight, and Airlite, and the sleeve that came with my LCP......They stick in the pocket, and the entire pocket wants to pull out of the pants, gnarling up the piece in the process.
Exactly one of the problems I was having. I'm going to get one for my 642 also now that I've tried these two out.

You may be able to go direct to his shop and test fit one. It's only a 30 minute drive up to Gig Harbor from Spanaway?
Yep, that's about right.... (I hate that bridge....6 buck toll... :evil: )

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

For anyone experiencing that particular issue, a simple stitch/knot, using thread the same color as the pants (pocket), and tying the bottom edge of the pocket lining to the pant leg material, will disappear the issue of traveling pockets.

Don't use a staple........ ;)

yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

jdad wrote:
yooper2 wrote:That is a good looking pocket holster. I use the pocket protector from Simply Rugged and like it quite a bit. It's a rough out design that really grabs the inside of your pocket.

Eric
Simply Rugged are good, but the problem I found was how they sat in dress pants. Most dress pants have a tapered pocket as do a lot of pants. Notice how the holster is tapered like your pocket, on the Recluse.

If it works for you that's all that matters.

That'd be the difference, I own one pair of dress pants and I think they've been worn about 30 times in the past 5-6 years! Glad there are so many good companies catering to people's varied needs.

Eric
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

When I was pocket carrying a J frame in an Uncle mikes IWB holster all was good. Everything worked fine.
I switched to a Glock 26 and things got complicated. A STICKY holster wasn't sticky enough to work right. A DeSantis "seems" to work but doesn't instill confidence. Maybe I just need to stitch together a suede pocket within a pocket for the Glock.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

jdad wrote:Since I'm not a Tier 1 operator...
I thought everyone on the internet was either a former or current SEAL or some form of special forces :D
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Never liked front pocket carry. Hip pocket OTOH...

C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The inside left pocket of my leather MC vest is perfect without any sort of holster. The AirLite, AirWeight, or LCP is quite comfortable, and genuinely undetectable.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Mika pocket holsters.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

MrMurphy wrote:Mika pocket holsters.
:?:
'splain please...

Mr. Hedley us no longer producing my much abused holster, but I have never seen a Mika....
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

MrMurphy wrote:Mika pocket holsters.
Second this, love mine. Robert Mika was LEO for many years, started making holsters for self and friends, and the business created itself. Nice guy to do business with, and holsters are very reasonable in price.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

[quote="Old Ironsights"]Never liked front pocket carry. Hip pocket OTOH...quote]

I like the hip pocket carry for my little NAA. Since I pretty much take that everywhere it just slips in and is unnoticeable.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I wear a Mika vest rig every day, working on a pocket rig for a 642 soon as well.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Thanks. I will get one for my sig 938 and try it out
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

As he related to me by phone, he was wearing an ankle holster one day back when the Earth was cooling, Elvis was still alive, and he was a cop.

As he was running in a foot chase, he saw a snubbie go sailing down the street in front of him and something in his mind said "that's my gun........". Sure enough he had somehow kicked the gun right out of the holster. He retrieved it and caught the guy, and after that, started working on a pocket holster for himself.

His vest holster has stayed in place through three serious ground wrestling matches (not exactly fights, but trying to get guys into cuffs who were not amused by the idea) including wrestling a guy across a bed, off the bed onto the ground, into a corner, out of the corner, and finally back up against the bed.
jruppert2
Levergunner

Post by jruppert2 »

I have a Mika pocket holster I use for a Ruger LCR. I purchased the pocket holster with the flat bottom. I found that most of my pants pockets are mostly flat like that. I also like that it is made of a synthetic material. Less moisture concerns.
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

jdad wrote:
Do you mean like the original Mall Ninja IE Gecko45. Read and enjoy. http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/
The Lord Bless You

Terry
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

JB wrote:
jdad wrote:Since I'm not a Tier 1 operator...
I thought everyone on the internet was either a former or current SEAL or some form of special forces :D
Just read an article about 1911's. The "expert" was saying how "Tier 1" operators like them. I didn't know telephone folks new much about handguns.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"