If anyone has any doubts - 44WCF /44-40 on deer

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894c

Re: If anyone has any doubts - 44WCF /44-40 on deer

Post by 1894c »

I never doubted it..the lightening power of any levergun should never be under estimated... :)
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

hayabusa wrote:Kirk that is a nice deer on the hood. Did you load it by yourself?

hayabusa
No. A friend and I wrestled it up on the hood just to drive it out of the bush and into the farmyard.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
jackruff
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jackruff »

Fascinating. I've been carrying my Marlin 336 in .30 W.C.F., aka .30/30, with the Williams peep sight most of this season. It's loaded with 173 gr flat nose Beartooth cast bullets with gas checks. Almost all I have hunted with in recent years have been my Marlins. Except for one meat hunt this season in a large green field when I used my Ruger M77 in 6mm Rem. Wouldn't you know that would be the only time I've had a shot?! I've killed lots of deer in years past with different rifles in 6mm, but that was the first one since I got my first lever gun - a Marlin 1894 in .44 magnum - several years ago. As someone said, you won't really be happy hunting if it's not with a gun you like.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Very nice. I decided to hunt with my .45 Colt this past weekend but the weather was so bad that nothing was moving except me.
35 Whelen
Levergunner

Post by 35 Whelen »

w30wcf wrote:So.......
Did anyone harvest a deer this year with the vintage .44-40?

I do know that Rowdy got another one this year. Not as big as the one shown in the 1st post but another 1 shot kill with the '73 and black powder. :D

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index. ... tach=57961

w30wcf
Well....not a 44-40, but it's little brother, the 38-40 in a 130, almost 131 year old '73 Winchester (1886 production).

Range was a smidge under 50 yds. The buck took off at the shot, ran about 50 yds. and was done. The bullet entered low behind the left shoulder, broke a rib, went through the left lung, perfectly centered the heart, creased the right lung and exited.

The load (below right) was a compressed charge of Swiss 3Fg under a 192 gr. FP cast of WW's from an RCBS 40-180 mould. The lube is TAC-1 and while not specifically a BP lube, holds up fine for 12-15 shots. This particular load averages an amazing 1402 fps out of the old Winchester.

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Some really great pics fellars. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
35 Whelen
Levergunner

Post by 35 Whelen »

Sorry! Double post.
Last edited by 35 Whelen on Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I've tracked down and finished off deer for people with my 92 in 44-40, maybe this next fall I'll have to do some serious hunting with it. I think we have a bunch of those Water Jugguloes around here.