Pre-War H&R Model 999 Sportsman top-break

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Pre-War H&R Model 999 Sportsman top-break

Post by Old No7 »

There have been a number of posts about the H&R Model 999 Sportsman top-break revolvers on this site, and I know there's a few on here who like that old action.

Awhile ago, I picked up a "Like new in box" Model 999 2nd Model (1953-1972) that the local Cabela's had seriously underpriced (<40% of the going rate on GunBroker), as it had the original box with it. But I've always been looking out for an earlier model that was in great shape.

Thanks to a visit to the Hamburg PA Cabela's while traveling on business, I got one. The $25 charge to ship it to Maine was 1/2 what it would have cost to pay shipping plus a transfer fee to my local FFL, plus it was offset by their (-10% Off) sale on all used handguns.

This one appears to have been shot or handled very little, and it's a 1st Model with the Rice frame (1-piece wooden grips, fit over a birdshead frame), and of the 6th variation (with the markings moved to the right side of the barrel flat). It has a rimmed cylinder with adjustable f/r sights and the firing pin is on the hammer (unlike my newer 2nd Model which is on the frame).
Mdl 999 - 1st-6th Variation 01 (Small).JPG
Mdl 999 - 1st-6th Variation 02 (Small).JPG
I can't get enough of these nice old top-breaks with 5" or 6" barrels... Maybe that's because an H&R 999 was the first handgun I ever bought on my own back in the day, or maybe because I like the action, or maybe it's just because it is much easier on the wallet than collecting old Winchesters or Marlins?!?!

Either way, these old top-breaks easily find their way into my gun safe when I find a variation I don't have, that's in great shape. Can't wait to see how she shoots!

Tight groups! :wink:

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Old No7 on Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Pre-War H&R Model 999 Sportsman top-break

Post by gamekeeper »

Very nice :mrgreen: , I had a 999 in my sights before my government decided I couldn't be trusted with one..... :roll:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
gregg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gregg »

very nice
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Those are really nice pistols. I've got one like it made in 1933. Really sweet shooters.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

There's something really special about top-break revolvers. Nice score on that 999. I had one from toward the end of production. Why I ever let it go I can't recall. Love the Webleys as well.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

started picking those up some years ago, when they were still fairly cheap. had always wanted one when I was a kid.

nowi have a couple of pre-wars like that one, and some from after. they shoot well, and kids love them for their looks and quick ejection. have enough for several kids and myself. they will hopefully keep them for good.
cable