Wild Mushroom ID Help (GOT IT ! - Thanks)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Wild Mushroom ID Help (GOT IT ! - Thanks)

Post by Pete44ru »

I found this wild mushroom at the base of a tree and IDK if it's an edible variety. (I LIKE mushrooms ! )

The meat is white with rosy/orange tinges around all the edges of the growth, and grew at the base/roots of a tree (Elm ?).

The mushroom is about 18" wide/long axis, 9" wide/short axis, and weighed about 4-5lbs (+/-) after I picked it.

Image Image

My questions are:

Does anyone know WHAT kind of wild mushroom this is ?

Is it a "hen-of-the-woods" ?

Is it a "chicken-of-the-woods" ?

Is it edible ?

[EDIT: I have had it confirmed that I have a "Chicken-of-the-woods" wild mushroom (Laetiporus sulphureus), today - tomorrow is clean/slice/cook/freeze ! Thanks, all !]

Last edited by Pete44ru on Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Wild Mushroom ID Help

Post by jdad »

Contact your local university Biology department. They will have a knowledgeable Mycologist......Don't trust us. :wink:
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jdad wrote:Contact your local university Biology department. They will have a knowledgeable Mycologist......Don't trust us. :wink:
Yep. When it comes to wild mushrooms, I ONLY eat morels, and halfcaps.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

It sure looks like chicken of the woods! if it is a bracket type of fungus,that is it grows directly on a tree then it is not poisonous,at least one to kill.Is the flesh soft ,how does it smell?Try a very small piece to taste to make sure it is not full of some noxious chemical.
The ones that kill usually grow solitary and are very identifiable(look up the genus Amanita)
I would boil a very small piece in water(after you have compared it to photos on the web) salt it and taste it.
The soft bracket fungi chicken of the woods and especially Oyster mushrooms are wonderful.
Do a little research before you try it to satisfy your self!
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Thanks, fella's - I'll take all due care B 4 trying.

It was growing atop the Elm (?) tree's exposed roots - IOW, on the tree trunk, but at ground level.

The plant had 2-3 bases that were rooted in the treebark, none in dirt/soil.

jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Certainly no offense intended, but an old and wise friend once told me if you had to ask about a mushroom, don't eat it! Just my 2 cents. :D
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

jazman wrote:Certainly no offense intended, but an old and wise friend once told me if you had to ask about a mushroom, don't eat it! Just my 2 cents. :D
'
Wise, wise advice. Best place to pick nice edible mushrooms is in the produce section at Safeway.

Quite a few years ago I knew a fellow in Rock Springs WY, real smartass sort of guy, bigtime mushroom hunter and a real "expert" on the subject. Ran into his BIL one day, found out the guy was in the ICU, had been for several days, docs had an open line to the Poison Control Center in Houston, IIRC, after having eaten some "safe" mushrooms he had harvested in the wild.
Barely survived after over a month in the hospital. Ran into him about a year later, he and his wife were out hunting mushrooms. :shock:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

jdad wrote:Contact your local university Biology department. They will have a knowledgeable Mycologist......Don't trust us. :wink:
I don't even trust them... AFAIC, they're all toadstools and'll kill ya!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Looks like an oyster shell mushroom to me. Hope it is when you get it checked out.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've had it confirmed today as a "chicken-in-the-woods" wild mushroom (Laetiporus sulphureus) - tomorrow is clean/slice/cook/freeze !

milton
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Wild Mushroom ID Help (GOT IT ! - Thanks)

Post by milton »

Sounds great!!! :mrgreen:
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."