The Best Gun-Friendly States according to G&A

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

The Best Gun-Friendly States according to G&A

Post by JimT »

I just read that Guns and Ammo Magazine put out the list of best gun friendly states for 2016:
1. Arizona
2. Kansas
3. Utah
4. Alaska
5. Tennessee
6. Oklahoma
7. Montana
8. Texas
9. Georgia
10. West Virginia
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Re: The Best Gun-Friendly States according to G&A

Post by wecsoger »

Kinda surprised KY and OH are not in there, but I do know TN and WV are cool.

Link to the article?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Indiana is pretty good too. About 1 in 7 adults now has a CCW license... 8) http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/ ... ll-time-h/
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Interesting. I would have put the constitutional carry states, like Alaska and Vermont, at the top.

Washington State, until the recent unconstitutional transfer bs, was nearly gun friendly. However, since then the gun quantity in the state has just about doubled I think.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I don't know which magazine it was, but one put Washington DC right up there with Wyoming, and the reason was due to how many class 3 firearms were owned in the area. Obviously there are a lot of 'special' people in DC :roll: :evil: and they have special bodyguards with special weapons the peasantry isn't allowed easy access to.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Cant help wondering why Wyoming was left off that list, we have Constitutional Carry and almost no firearms laws.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

Wyoming should be near the top, how can they not be ? That seems amazing that they are so far down, everyone
in Wyoming carries a gun with the full consent of law enforcement, they also recognize every other state's carry
permit. Not sure they did their homework.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

daisygordoninc wrote:Wyoming should be near the top, how can they not be ? That seems amazing that they are so far down, everyone in Wyoming carries a gun with the full consent of law enforcement, they also recognize every other state's carry permit. Not sure they did their homework.
I believe they did. This is the 3rd year I think they have done this .. rating is based on a number of issues .. this is from the 2015 ranking:

G&A has conducted a thorough review of each state’s laws and considered initiatives pending in state legislatures. Every effort has been made to create a ranking system that is fair, equitable, accurate and objective. States were ranked numerically in each of five categories: right-to-carry, right to own “black rifles” (i.e., firearms possessing a tactical appearance), presence of the Castle Doctrine, subjects relating to the National Firearms Act (NFA) and a catchall miscellaneous column.

Part of Wyoming's issues were its weak use-of-force statutes in 2015.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I like that Wyoming (as I understand it) has told the feds that they can't come into Wyoming and enforce unconstitutional federal laws.

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

daisygordoninc wrote:Wyoming should be near the top, how can they not be ? That seems amazing that they are so far down, everyone
in Wyoming carries a gun with the full consent of law enforcement, they also recognize every other state's carry
permit. Not sure they did their homework.
Oh, they did their homework all right. The rest of the list is the minors. Wyoming is the Big League. ;)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Arizona is a CC State.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I'll third or fourth that about Wyoming. No WY means their list isn't worth used toilet paper.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

For a long time, in spite of it's liberal politics, Washington had wonderful gun laws, open carry, and a state constitution that forbid local towns, and counties from making their own gun laws....Sadly, I-594, and a Gubment that ignores the state constitution has changed all that in the last couple years. :evil: :evil: Public land that used to be open for hunting, and recreational shooting is being gated off, and closed. Jay Inslee, and his Commie Corps BrownShirts can go to hades. :evil:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

WY is #17 on list.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

octagon wrote:WY is #17 on list.
Which makes no sense. Especially for it to drop from last year's #6 spot.

Our laws have not changed for the worse and most of those whose have changed for the better still aren't up to where Wyoming's has pretty much always been.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

If it were not for Philly and Pittsburg, Pennsylvania would be in the top ten also. Those two cities and their inhabitants screw everything up for the rest of us law abiding folk.

For the most part we can do about whatever we please. Gunshows and gun clubs are everywhere. You pay $21 and get yourself a carry permit....no classes required. Cash and carry for all long guns and handguns after a 4473 and NICS. All Class 3 after a Fed check.

The big cities are terrible. Driving through one you would think Hollywood was making a Tarzan movie.-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

A couple things seemingly not taken into consideration in some of this type thing, but have a very day to day effect to me is how guns can be carried in vehicles. Most of the mountain states any gun can be in a vehicle, loaded, no case required, no hunting license required. Also, no magazine limits for for hunting with a semi auto makes it much simpler. I called WY game and fish once to ask about magazine limits for semi autos for hunting, the guy laughed on the phone before telling there were none. Especially like that no permit is required to concealed carry in some places. Those several things add much to the balance to me in very practical terms.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I was surprised SC was in the middle of the pack. Makes me also question how they arrived at the list.

What I did not question was the bottom of the list. Pretty much a solid list of states I will NEVER live in!

I got a call the other day from a headhunter with a position in the Boston area. I just laughed... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I betcha Hawai'i made the bottom five right above California. Hmm, Idaho didn't make the list.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Yea CA is number 51, (out of 50) or was it 54 like Odumbo said?
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Their rankings are bogus, always have been. When they have been called on it before, for ranking states that are less free over states that are more free, their answer was that certain states, like AZ, have better weather for shooting, or more gun stores with ranges, or more firearm manufacturers, or that particular states have less private ranges or fewer gun owners due to smaller population (which is why they have ranked AK low in the past, under states that are much more restrictive, like AZ.)