marlin cowboys with short barrel?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jwm
Levergunner

marlin cowboys with short barrel?

Post by jwm »

Greetings, gents. I tried the search function without luck, so I'll ask here: what can anyone tell me about an 1895 Marlin Cowboy in .45-70, with octagonal 18 or 18.5 inch barrel? I'm familiar with the 26-inch model, but not the short version. Were these JM-made guns, or Rems, or both...or neither? I don't even know if its a factory gun or perhaps an altered longer barrel gun. Any information would be appreciated; I've been offered it by a non-gun-owning friend, but haven't had a chance yet to examine it in person. When I asked about a JM-stamping on the barrel in front of the receiver, he said "The receiver is the part with the handle that goes up and down, right?" :)
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Re: marlin cowboys with short barrel?

Post by jdad »

Yes, it is legit.

Factory new and no-one would touch it at $750. Who would want that much pain?

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/550916334
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

What pain ?
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Buck Elliott wrote:What pain ?

My days of being a recoil junkie are over. I sold my 1895 Cowboy after an 80 shot silhouette match.....that pain.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

jdad wrote:
Buck Elliott wrote:What pain ?

My days of being a recoil junkie are over. I sold my 1895 Cowboy after an 80 shot silhouette match.....that pain.

No wonder I'm downloading my 30/30 to 32/20 levels! And I thought I was doing it to conserve powder and Lyman #2 lead! :shock:
jwm
Levergunner

Post by jwm »

Okay, guys, thanks for the info. Do you know if these were JM, Rem, or both?

Trying to get the gun's caretaker (he's executing an estate) to provide useful information is like pulling teeth.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If you stick with 'vintage' loads, the 20" shouldn't be all that bad with recoil, but if you stoke them up and try turning the gun into a 'Guide Gun' loaded for mean bears, it would get your attention.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

If I didn't already have a 45-70, I'd get that one! :mrgreen: 8)
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

They are Remlins............................... :?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

.45colt wrote:They are Remlins............................... :?
The one on Gunbroker states it is NOT a JM stamped pre Remington.
Welcome to the fire, please let us know how it shoots.... 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about, but I have Marlin 1895 LTD III, that I bought new in 2000. It has an 18.5" octagonal barrel, ballard rifling, and full length magazine tube. In 45-70 of course.

I honestly wonder why they were not more popular when they were made, except for the fact that the Guide Gun was so similar.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

junkbug wrote:I'm not sure if this is what you are talking about, but I have Marlin 1895 LTD III, that I bought new in 2000. It has an 18.5" octagonal barrel, ballard rifling, and full length magazine tube. In 45-70 of course.

I honestly wonder why they were not more popular when they were made, except for the fact that the Guide Gun was so similar.

I have an LTD III as well and love it. Also wondered why there wasn't more demand for them. Last one I saw for sale had a $1500 tag on it.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
jwm
Levergunner

Post by jwm »

Well, I called my buddy up to tell him that I would take it, but unfortunately for me one of the deceased gentleman's nephews blew a gasket when he heard the old man's guns were being sold off and talked the executor into holding off on any further sales.

I'm a bit disappointed, especially considering that he was offering it to me at roughly half of what a 26-inch Cowboy model fetches in these parts. I truly hope that the nephew is keeping the iron in the family and not just grabbing it up to resell himself. In any case, thanks to all for your insights and assistance.