OT-Winchester High Walls and/or copies

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

OT-Winchester High Walls and/or copies

Post by kimwcook »

I have always like the Winchester High Walls and would like to hear from those that have them on the pros and cons between the various manufactured pieces available, ie..Winchester, Browning, custom, reproduction and so on. My wish list would one in either 45-70 or 45-90. Leaning more towards the 45-90.
Old Law Dawg
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

I owned a Browning (Japan) clone of the M.1885. It was beautifully made and finished. Even better quality than the original, in my estimation. It was a 45/70. If you use open (peep) sights, you have to mount the peep on the wood, as there is no extended tang on the reproduction I had. I did and it was very satisfactroy.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

The Browning didn't have an upper tang to mount a rear peep onto? I didn't know that. Thanks.
Old Law Dawg
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've owned, at various times, an original .22 L.R. Winchester M-1885, then two Browning B-78's (a .30-06 & a 6mm Rem), then a Browning M-1885 Traditional Hunter in .45-70.

I liked the Browning's fit/finish best, and the B-78 .30-06 for a light hunting rifle - but IMHO, the TH would be best suited in .45 cal.

The triggers have been nice on mine, and the rifles all accurate - but they're not that hard to take apart & mess with, if one has the Field Service Manual. :wink:
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Pete44ru wrote:.... they're not that hard to take apart & mess with, if one has the Field Service Manual. :wink:
I sure would like to find a copy of that manual.

Jack
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

I am fortunate to be the "caretaker for the next generation" of three original Winchester M1885 Schuetzen rifles & three Browning 1885 clones.Originals are very, very expensive. I was lucky & bought the Winchesters about 20+ years ago --not cheap or economical even then. If you have an action or a barreled action, you can spend a good deal of money building it up. Actions & complete rifles are getting harder to find.

The Brownings look like the Winchester, but that is about it. Mechanically, they are entirely different. They are a very strong rifle w/ a poor trigger system (lawyer trigger??). The Browning BPCR was designed & built from the ground to be very competitive in the BPCR silhouette competition & it has done very well in that regard. The BPCR & the Creedmoor have a tang for its rear sight as well as Badger barrels. The Creedmoor is a heavy 34" barreled .45-2.4" (AKA. 45-90). Both the BPCR & the Creedmoor command & receive a good price. The other Browning M1885's didn’t have a tang.

@ one time, I had a Browning B-78 in .45-2.1â€
Last edited by Ray Newman on Mon May 05, 2008 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Thanks Ray, very informative.
Old Law Dawg
JD2
Levergunner

Post by JD2 »

The Browning 1885 Traditional Hunter rifles (Both Low Wall and High Walls) did have rear tangs, and came supplied with at rear tang sight that looks exactly the same as the one made by Marbles. Winchester also made a similar 1885 High Wall rifle that also had a tang and came equiped with the Marbles tang sight. I believe that the Winchesters came in 38-55, 45-70, and 45-90. The Browning High Walls came in 30-30, 38-55, and 45-70, and the Low Walls came in 45 Colt, 454, and I think in 357 mag. There may be more callibers that I don't recall.

I have a Browning in 30-30, a Browning 45-70 BPCR, and a Winchester in 38-55. The are excellent rifles that are extremely high quality, and shoot very well. My only complaint is that the wood is rather plain and it would have been nice to have it a little more figured. They are great fun to shoot, and still have that look of an old time classic.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[I sure would like to find a copy of that manual.]

Jack, There's a copy posted as a "sticky", over on GBO's Single Shot Rifle Section:

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/ ... 245.0.html
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

From what I have seen at different matches, the Browning 1885's all have happy owners. I have yet to hear anyone complain about Brownings. As for Italian jobs or American made repos, well, I just can't comment on them as everyone one I know shoots Brownings or Sharps. I shoot originals and they shoot like scoped bolt guns.

First one is a 'original '78 Sharps in 45-70. Second one down is a special order 1885 .22 Low Wall with 28" octagon and set trigger, with a 32" Stevens scope. Third one down is my match gun, made in 1893 with a 30" #3 barrel, set trigger and chambered in 40-82. Last one is an unfired 1884 Springfield.

If I was going to get a new one, I would probably opt for the 40-65 with the fast twist in order to shoot the 350 grain or heavier bullets. The 45-90 is way cool but beats you up badly with the heavy bullets that are needed for long range shooting.-----Sixgun

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

I have a Uberti 30" .45-70...every bit as accurate as Sharps, maybe more so in the fact that everything is in line.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

I have a Cimarron/Uberti Lo-Wall, and am very happy with it. I cleaned up the trigger myself, and it shoots wonderfully. (22 Hornet) Mounted a Marbles Tang sight, and installed a fine bead front. The factory sights were poor IMO., but I am very picky about sights. Fit and Finish were very good, and it has become one of my favorite plinking guns. Considering that I generally won't own repro's, I am very happy with this one.

Ed
win92
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win92 »

I own a Browning 45-70 no tang thats shoots well. Iam waiting delivery on a Uberti Highwall copy.again in 45-70 with double set triggers, 32 inch barrel and windgauge sights . I chum with a guy who works for the Canadian importer of these things. I went down to the warehouse and looked a few over in order to judge fit finish and overall quality and was impressed. They are very similar to the originals but a lot cheaper to purchase. Once I have it going I'll let you guys know how it works.
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

I'm one of those shooters that my buddy Sixgun mentions who is pleased with his Browning 1885's. I have a BPCR in .45-70, a Traditional Hunter in .30-30 and a Miroku-made Winchester Low Wall in .22.

The BPCR is my silhouette rifle, and I've shot more that 20,000 rounds through it in 9 + shooting seasons -- all full power BP loads. I've had not a whit of trouble with this rifle. These guns are still good values.

As is often mentioned, the flaw in the BPCR is that no set trigger is available, although it's been rumored that MVA is working on a single set trigger for these Miroku guns. I've used the trigger fix devised by Dale McGee and it has worked fine, reducing the pull weight to just under a pound.

I think the C. Sharps 1885 is the best value in a rifle equipped a single set trigger. I've been inside several of them, and they are very well made.

jhrosier, I emailed you disassembly instructions for 1885 Miroku's.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Cimarron Red wrote:I'm one of those shooters that my buddy Sixgun mentions who is pleased with his Browning 1885's. I have a BPCR in .45-70, a Traditional Hunter in .30-30 and a Miroku-made Winchester Low Wall in .22.

The BPCR is my silhouette rifle, and I've shot more that 20,000 rounds through it in 9 + shooting seasons -- all full power BP loads. I've had not a whit of trouble with this rifle. These guns are still good values.
Reds, I would like to tell the boys that "you are 'da man" when it comes to that 45-70 Browning Hi-Wall. Guys, I have personally seen my good friend Cimarron Red shoot in the EXACT middle of a bullseye at 300 meters with that Browning. And yes, he called the shot! (Hamburg, Pa.) That Browning of Red's has caused me all kind of aggravation over the years, always edging me out of first place. I'm glad he moved to Colorado where he is now doing the same thing to my son. Ha! You all like that? Don't take me seriously as Reds is one of my best friends and he has taught me a lot of the long range game (and the short one too!)
Stay cool Reds and I sure hope to see you this summer.------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Sixgun,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm gonna miss our shoots at Hamburg, Mainville and Atglen. Hope you get out here this summer.

CR
DennisB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DennisB »

Ray Newman wrote: The BPCR & the Creedmoor have a tang for its rear sight as well as Badger barrels. The Creedmoor is a heavy 34" barreled .45-2.4" (AKA. 45-90). Both the BPCR & the Creedmoor command & receive a good price. The other Browning M1885's didn’t have a tang.
In fact one of the “otherâ€
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I purchased a used but unfired in the box Win. 85 Traditional Hunter .45-90. The rifle has yet to arrive. I have handled one prior and it was nice. The only draw back besides the price was too much needless stamping on the barrel. The sample I played with exhibited a very useful factory trigger. Excellent fit and finish. Should shoot well with that Badger barrel. Recoil will no doubt be excessive with T Rex. loads. Looking forward to this rifle. Regards. 1886.