Colonial Gunsmith video

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Colonial Gunsmith video

Post by Malamute »

Just saw this. Looks pretty interesting, building a gun from raw iron, hammering out a barrel flat, hammer forming and hammer welding it into a tube, boring and rifling the barrel, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lui6uNPcRPA
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Colonial Gunsmith video

Post by walks with gun »

Oh yeah, I could do that to if I had any talent or patience or. These guy's like this are truly artist's, Any fine art museum or gallery should have a few longrifles on the wall.
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

It sure is amazing what can be done with a file in the right hands. Here is a site giving a very interesting bio of the video gunsmith, Wallace Gusler.

http://www.flintriflesmith.com/Writinga ... res_mb.htm

Bob in Friday Harbor, WA
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Wallace was a fantastic historical researcher as well as an artist.

I'm sure Hondo could verify that today one's time would be much better spent y buying a barrel.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I enjoyed watching that, thank you for posting.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I used to spend some time at a guy named Al Edge's shop . He builds in the Virginia school of longrifles and he happened to have one of Wallace Guslers rifles hanging on the wall in his shop/showroom . He let me handle it a bit , that thing had a feeling all it's own .

Al's webpage , http://aledge.com/

I have an original 1840-1850 A.B. Smith gun that we got from John Laubach who used to work in the gunsmith shop for Gusler .
I also had a Contemporary Longrifle in the Isaac Haines school that was partially built by Clay Smith (who I got the gun from) who also used to work for Gusler at Colonial Williamsburg .

Clays webpage , http://claysmithguns.com/
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Rusty wrote:Wallace was a fantastic historical researcher as well as an artist.

I'm sure Hondo could verify that today one's time would be much better spent y buying a barrel.
Clay Smith (who worked for Gusler at Colonial Williamsburg) told me that a gun they built and actually forged the barrel cost something in the 40G range . And that was the price a few years back .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

I don't know if they forge parts like they used to at Colonial Williamsburg. The gunsmithing part has been curtailed a bunch by anti gun management there. A lot of politics going on there now. The video was made back in the sixties when Wallace first started working there. It is a good video that I have watched many times. I've welded up short sections of tubing for pipe axes and would not want to have to weld up a barrel for every rifle I built. However most old timers bought barrels pre made also. Jacob Dickert a well know gun maker in Pennsylvania back in the 18th century partnered up with anther guy and built a barrel mill for manufacturing them. It was water powered and they supplied barrels to many other gun makers in the state.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

You know, I recantly bought that DVD only to find it is on Youtube. Love hearing David Brinkley's voice again.