Medical / mental? question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Medical / mental? question

Post by J Miller »

I have suffered from a moderate level of dyslexia since I was in grade school. Writing was a pain in the behind for me as I'd turn my letters around and sometimes when speaking I'd turn entire words around.
I could and still can read upside down and backwards text and writing almost as good as proper facing print.

Once into high school it made learning to type a real challenge. When writing letters, or essays in cursive writing I can't begin to tell how many times I'd get half way through it, then mess up and have to re-write the whole thing.
It also made doing math a horrendous disaster. Try doing higher math when you keep transposing the numbers ... :(

Back then none of my teachers even cared to help, or inquire if I was having trouble. I didn't even hear of dyslexia until after I was out of high school.

Now as l've gotten old I notice I'm using the spell checker and back button a lot as I'm posting on the forums and using the computer to do things. And it seems to be getting worse as time passes.

So my question(s) are; is dyslexia a physical brain ailment, or a mental ailment?

Just curious.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Medical / mental? question

Post by Hawkeye2 »

I have a younger brother (borne 1947) who is left handed. My parents briefly tried to correct this and he had at least one teacher who used to slap his hand with a ruler in an attempt to correct this. He was also dyslexic though no one ever saw that till he reached college where a professor noticed it. Needless to say he never received any help for the condition if any was even available at that time. He claims to be able to read upside down and backwards as well as he can forward.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

My brother was born in 47. I'll have to ask him if he suffers from it.

You know those mind twisting things that show up in emails where there is a scads of tiny little letters or numbers and only one is different? I can spot the different one almost instantly. Then there's the things people post on face book, "Only x% of the population can read this." I always can.

My problems are constant, but worse when I'm really needing to get it done right.
Hense my questions.

As for lefties being mistreated, I saw some of that when I was in school. Where I was it was worse for the girls. Especially during Home Ec. The teachers were always trying to force the lefties to use right handed sissers.
Same in the various shop classes. All they had was right handed tools. Poor lefties were really up a creek.

Joe
Last edited by J Miller on Sun May 08, 2016 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

J Miller wrote:
So my question(s) are; is dyslexia a physical brain ailment, or a mental ailment?

The short answer: Dyslexia is most likely a neurotic connectivity disorder.

Thanks to recent research, there's scientific proof that a dyslexic person’s brain is normal and healthy.

A dyslexic person's brain takes longer to make some of these connections, and does it in more steps.

A dyslexic person especially has trouble matching the letters seen on a page with the sounds those letters, and combinations of letters, make - when a dyslexic person has trouble with that step, it makes all the other steps harder.

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Pete44ru wrote:
J Miller wrote:

Thanks to recent research, there's scientific proof that a dyslexic person’s brain is normal and healthy.

A dyslexic person's brain takes longer to make some of these connections, and does it in more steps.

Pete,
Thanks. I'm glad to hear that. While the rest of me is falling apart my brain is OK. I wonder if that's good or not.

That just brought up another thought. When somebody says something that needs a snappy come back, I always come up with it 5 minutes later. I wonder if this is because of those extra steps my brain takes to do things .... :?:

Joe
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Joe, my word order skills have been declining as well. Typical errors are teh instead the, hvae instead of have, etc.
I attribute it to two causes: age and malt beverages.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Speaking of lefties, my Sister and myself had our left arms tied to our bodies with rope, to try and force us to write with our right hands. Worked for my Sister, she can write with either hand, but didn't work for me, but I do golf right handed, but can bat either way and shoot with either hand. Mixed dominant.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

I'm a mixed dominant as well, though strongly right eye dominant. I can bowl with either hand, kick with either foot while playing soccer with my kids. Two of my three boys are the same way, drove their soccer coaches to distraction during drills but loved having them in the game. I started off writing left handed but my kindergarten teacher got me to change. Very kindly. I think that was a good decision. Once won $50 shooting clay birds left handed, then was accused of cheating. But I was able to break more right handed.

Some of the world's most creative and intelligent people were thought to be dislexic, being other connected no doubt makes average things harder but maybe gives a head start in other areas.
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

You can't really separate 'mental' and 'physical', because the brain is a physical organ with physical structure, that determines its electrical and chemical function.

There are exercises that can be done to improve dyslexia. I don't know the specifics, but a few years ago an adult patient who decided to see a neurologist got referred to a physiatrist for testing and wound up with a prescribed 'homework' to do for it. She did it for about a year and it helped, then she got busy with other stuff and quit. A few years later she was bad again but found something on-line that was cheaper than going back to the physiatrist but she said appeared to be the same exercises.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Larkbill,

I'm partially ambidextrous but not as good as others. Since my right shoulder was dislocated and then diagnosed with a big bone spur and a partially torn rotator cuff I've become even more so.

AJMD,

Working with the computer has improved my spelling, but not the dyslexia. I've noticed that when the stress level goes up, the dyslexia gets worse. So I guess I should have realized that it was partially mental.

Joe
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If there is such a thing as spelling idiocy, I have it. I have a great vocabulary, do the crosswords in ink, etc. But, if it were not for autocorrect, or an online dictionary, I'd be screwed....

BTW, there is a phenomenal support group: DAM (Mothers Against Dyslexia)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Joe, my word order skills have been declining as well. Typical errors are teh instead the, hvae instead of have, etc.
I attribute it to two causes: age and malt beverages.

+1 :mrgreen:
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

J Miller wrote:
Pete44ru wrote:
J Miller wrote:

Pete,
Thanks. I'm glad to hear that. While the rest of me is falling apart my brain is OK. I wonder if that's good or not.

That just brought up another thought. When somebody says something that needs a snappy come back, I always come up with it 5 minutes later. I wonder if this is because of those extra steps my brain takes to do things .... :?:

Joe
Heck, that ain't nuthin. I'm left handed and when I need a snappy comeback, I can to it in 10 minutes.......................................uh, wait a minute, 10 is longer, isn't it...................oh never mind.... :shock: You're good!

:lol: :lol:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I was also born in 47, I can write backwards with my left hand but did not know it until I broke my right ulna. 47 was the Roswell year. 8)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

My wife says it is a physical disability of the brain. She is a retired speech pathologist.

Vic
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Could a head injury to a toddler cause dyslexia? I only ask because when I was a weee lad I rolled off the big bed and bonked my noggin on the wall. At least that the story my mom told me many many summers ago.

Joe
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Joe, she is not immediately available right now, but I will ask her and respond as I can. She worked in the Rehab Center at a local hospital for years prior to her retirement.

She also worked in the "birth to three" program with children for twenty plus years prior. She would certainly be able to answer your question.

Vic
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

J Miller wrote:Could a head injury to a toddler cause dyslexia? I only ask because when I was a weee lad I rolled off the big bed and bonked my noggin on the wall. At least that the story my mom told me many many summers ago.

Joe
Anytime I made Mom mad, she'd remark I must have banged my head real hard.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Joe,

My wife's answer to your question is ;

"It's most likely genetics and there is no way of knowing if a child was genetically predestined to have dyslexia".

Regarding your specific question of dyslexia in a toddler being caused by some form of head injury........she knows of no such occurrence of this possibility. Sounds like it's more of a genetic cause, so it's doubtful that yours was caused by any injury.

I hope this helps.

Vic
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Bill in Oregon wrote:I attribute it to two causes: age and malt beverages.
Age I can't argue with... but malt beverages kill brain cells... Since the weak die sooner... you're left with stronger brain cells. Hence, alcohol DOES make you smarter!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Griff, love the way you think. I, too was born in 47. Maybe that explains it. Hmmmm....
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Well, since I've suffered with this since I wsa a wee child and never did drink to any great degree we'll just say genetics. I do know both my father, a couple uncles and my brother developed Bell's Palsy, but so far I haven't. My brother is so bad his face kind of looks like he had a stroke and when he's tired he talks like a drunk.

Ain't life fun ................. :roll:

Joe

PS: Griff, you think it's too late to start with the malt beverages at my age?
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Old savage. My mom writes backward in cursive equally as fast and naturally as she does when writing forwards. Hold up a mirror to it and it is perfect. I never seen anyone else do it. :shock:
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I can't answer your question as to what type of disorder dyslexia is, but I can tell you that people can overcome it, and work with it as they age. But those with dyslexia are also going to see signs of it becoming difficult again as they age.
Since I am also dyslexic, I have gone through the same things you described. As a child in school I was labeled lazy, or having a short attention span. I not only transposed letters, but also mixed up letters and numbers. I couldn't see the difference between an E and a 3, or a L and a 7. I never understood when they tried to teach me spelling and math why they used the same letters and numbers for both? I had a teacher in 1st grade who thought she'd help me by putting me in the back of the class with a mirror on the wall to look at the blackboard backwards! It only worked to make my learning more difficult, and set me back further. I struggled, and was pushed along with nobody diagnosing the problem. When I reached 5th grade I had a male teacher (Mr. Wells) who I am eternally grateful for! He didn't know what it was, but told my parents I was not lazy, or inattentive. He knew I had some sort of reading disability, and asked my parents if I read at all at home? He suggested to them that if I liked to read anything, then they should encourage that, and get me as much reading material as possible in whatever form I enjoyed. That happened to be comic books, and the local thrift stores had them stacked to the ceilings for a penny a piece! My father took me down there every Saturday, and I picked out 10 comics. I had comic books stacked 2'-3' high all along one wall of my bedroom, and by the end of 5th grade I went from being pushed on to the next grade, to being in the top of my class. Mr. Wells opened up a whole new world for me, and it was like somebody turned on a light switch in my brain that year! I regretted moving on to 6th grade, as I was afraid what might come. But his help made the change that allowed me to succeed through the rest of my learning years, and nobody noticed my dyslexia after that.
I never learned of dyslexia, or put a name to what I had until I was in my 30's. And never talked about it, because I was embarrassed by my early learning struggles, and the way teachers handled it. But I finally reached a point where I realized that not talking about it didn't help others with the same problem. Now I try to talk to young parents who have children with some form of dyslexia, and hope I can encourage, or help them help their kids.
I'm in my mid 60's now, and although I became an excellent student in middle school and beyond, my spelling takes more thought now. I also have to occasionally struggle to think of the correct words to use. I still read a lot, and hope that it will help as I age to not revert to where I was in my early years. Keep your chin up! There's not much we can do, but work with it, and not let it bother us too much. :)
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Hawkeye2 wrote:I have a younger brother (borne 1947) who is left handed. My parents briefly tried to correct this and he had at least one teacher who used to slap his hand with a ruler in an attempt to correct this. He was also dyslexic though no one ever saw that till he reached college where a professor noticed it. Needless to say he never received any help for the condition if any was even available at that time. He claims to be able to read upside down and backwards as well as he can forward.
I favored my left hand as a kid, but was ambidextrous also. In school I would start on the left side of a page writing, and switch hands in the middle to continue writing. My teacher told my parents that if I could use both hands equally well, they should "encourage me to only use my right hand." I of course fought the idea of only using one hand, since my left was my preference, and they were pushing my right. But the teachers, and my parents won out, and I ended up writing right handed. But it never stopped me from using my left hand for other tasks, where teachers didn't care or notice. I'm still pretty ambidextrous, and can write left handed, but not nearly as well as right handed.
One area that has given me fits is shooting. Since I was left hand dominant, I am also left eye dominant. I have had not had an issue with closing my left eye and shooting great, but when shooting my shotgun I have found shooting with both eyes open causes big misses! I have to close, or nearly close my left eye to ensure it doesn't mess up my sight picture when shooting my shotgun. Fortunately I rarely shoot a shotgun, so it hasn't been a big issue.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

TraderVic wrote:Joe,

My wife's answer to your question is ;

"It's most likely genetics and there is no way of knowing if a child was genetically predestined to have dyslexia".

Regarding your specific question of dyslexia in a toddler being caused by some form of head injury........she knows of no such occurrence of this possibility. Sounds like it's more of a genetic cause, so it's doubtful that yours was caused by any injury.

I hope this helps.

Vic
I agree there must be something to genetics, but I had 6 siblings, and nobody else had dyslexia. But all of them are also right handed. Makes me wonder if there is any connection?
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Marlinman 93........many ( not all ) genetic disorders are not usually predictable and often times are scattered through a family history....some do and some/many don't "so to speak".

Dyslexia can vary quite a bit too and many learn to work with it and around it, such as yourself and Joe Miller....and others as well.

What all of us should NOT do is compare ourselves to "normal" people. Not really sure what a "normal" person looks or acts like. There are so many social stigmas and labels out there that it's pathetic !

I had ADD long before anyone knew what it was or had a label for it. When I was 32 years old I was diagnosed with a brain tumor ( benign thankfully ) the size of a medium potatoe and I was fortunate that the neurosurgeon could remove it all. The surgery did sever the 7th & 8th auditory nerves, thus paralyzing the left side of my face and also rendered my left ear totally deaf, but this was/is far better than being dead, which was my only choice. For years I get the stares and a few questions, etc. I reverse words, letters a little bit as well. I guess I play the hand that has been dealt to me and move on and be thankful for every new day.

Point being, many of us have different disabilities and are just as normal as the next guy....

I apologize for rambling and wish you all a sunny day !

Regards, Vic