(Not a Joke) Medical Error Deaths.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

(Not a Joke) Medical Error Deaths.....

Post by Blaine »

Snipped from the BMJ (formally know as British Medical Journal) I highlighted the pertinent part.

------------------

"Imagine wiping out the entire population of Orlando, Fla., each year. That's essentially what medical errors are doing, according to an analysis of four studies on the topic that was published in the BMJ on Tuesday.

It finds that about 9.5% of Americans who die each year are killed by a medical error, making it the No. 3 cause of death behind heart disease and cancer.

Combine all annual deaths from guns, suicide, and car accidents, double them, and that still wouldn't add up to the 251,454 people the Johns Hopkins researchers estimate fall victim to medical errors each year."

Maybe we should ban Doctors....If it would save just one life... :twisted:
Do it for the children... :twisted:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: (Not a Joke) Medical Error Deaths.....

Post by AJMD429 »

Yep. And it's getting WORSE due to government-mandated 'quality' monitoring, implemented via government-mandated HIPAA-compliant electronic medical records.

The EMR's create the illusion of 'quality', while making the care delivered worse, more costly, and less efficient.

Federal involvement in 'health care' is not only illegitimate/unconstitutional, but has the same 'benefit' that their involvement in the 'drug war' and 'education' and 'violent crime' has had.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:Yep. And it's getting WORSE due to government-mandated 'quality' monitoring, implemented via government-mandated HIPAA-compliant electronic medical records.

The EMR's create the illusion of 'quality', while making the care delivered worse, more costly, and less efficient.

Federal involvement in 'health care' is not only illegitimate/unconstitutional, but has the same 'benefit' that their involvement in the 'drug war' and 'education' and 'violent crime' has had.
IMO, all this mandated Zero Tolerance leads to coverups.... The DotGov's attempt to "do something" usually makes it worse.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

If the EMRs and the processes worked as envisioned, medical care
might, in fact, be better in some ways.

There's this whole paternalistic, MBA-driven approach to medical care,
(AND education!) that believes that all we have to do is measure the
important metrics, put 'em on a computer, and then we'll be able to see
all problems at a glance, fix everything wrong with the patient or student,
save the taxpayers tons of money, and make double-digit profits for all of
the corporations involved every year.

No. Real life just doesn't work like that.

In medicine, look at any doctor's office. You have a doctor or two, a couple
of nurses and/or techs, and half-a-dozen more folks doing insurance paperwork.
Now, of course, the docs and nurses are doing incredible amounts of federal
and/or insurance paperwork too - instead of doctoring or nursing.

Same with teachers. Lots and lots of standardized testing, which takes all kinds
of time away from actually teaching. These tests measure all kinds of stuff - some
of which might actually be useful - but frequently miss telling us how well Johnny
can read or write! The result is a nightmare for everybody.

In both cases, everybody's performance is measured based on these magical numbers, so to
look good, everybody plays the game to make the numbers look good. We should be playing
the game to make sure that everybody is as healthy and well-educated as they
can reasonably be, but the games and the numbers are now more important, so
that's where the effort goes.

Add to that the fact that different medical systems use different record formats and data,
not only between hospitals and doctors' offices, but within hospitals as well. HL7 is a
standard, (well actually two or three incompatible standards now, but let's not go there!),
but the record content in not standardized. The ER's forms, for instance, might capture
different fields than oncology's, for instance. But oncology might need those ER records,
so someone has to make sure that all of the relevant information gets put CORRECTLY into
the patient's records -and gets done quickly to keep the paperwork flowing. Big, big
nightmare.....

And while there are brilliant doctors and teachers out there, there is also a significant
number of bad apples in both professions needing to be culled, eh?

(Rant off......)

-Stretch
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

A lot to wade through in your post, stretch, ...but certainly undeniable just the same! Don't worry about the "rant", I have at least one nearly every day!
Sometimes I think my daily life would be a lot more mellow if I just passed on turning on a radio, TV or computer.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I can't watch the network news any more for that reason, GoatGuy! :roll:

-Stretch
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Lost my Mom this past feb. Wouldn't really call it a medical error though it might get classified that way. It was from a Dr. not paying attention to what the patient was saying. He gave my Mom prilisec for a cough that was caused by pneumonia. Said he thought it was heartburn.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yea, but you know something...big business hospitals and especially nursing homes know how to keep someone alive if they want to. It's a long long story concerning my 97 year old aunt whom I am primary caregiver for. Every decision is based on the almighty dollar.

I tell ya, if a loved one goes in the hospital or a nursing home, they had better have a trusted person watching over for their best interests.

"Some" doctors (Not YOU AJ, I'm sure) are like bosses at the plant....they think they are so smart, no one will notice the truth behind their decisions.------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

here's the breakdown.
medical-error-indexed.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

This has all been known for many years far preceding current issues. It has been classified under iatrogenic deaths in statistics.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:o It's why they call it a "practice".....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

Consider every surgery and ER vist trying to prolong life as "Playing God".
I was once asked by a young girl: "if God gave her cancer because it was her time to go to Him, isn't fighting the cancer like challenging God?"

Then medical errors are just human.

Don't take tomorrow for granted.
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

"Iatrogenic" means the cure is worse that the disease.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well yea, there are folks that died as a result of a Doctor's actions. They are only human. On the other hand I suppose the members of that occupation are well into the plus column in the saved vs. killed.

Medicine and the politics (read financial considerations) of medicine are constantly changing. But then so are most things.

Besides myself, I wonder how many of us on the forum are alive today thanks to the efforts of a Doctor.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

jeepnik wrote:Well yea, there are folks that died as a result of a Doctor's actions. They are only human. On the other hand I suppose the members of that occupation are well into the plus column in the saved vs. killed.

Medicine and the politics (read financial considerations) of medicine are constantly changing. But then so are most things.

Besides myself, I wonder how many of us on the forum are alive today thanks to the efforts of a Doctor.
I might be, if that untreated hernia ever went septic. To err is human, but due diligence is required, as well.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV