Here's a Nice Old S&W 5-Screw Revolver

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Here's a Nice Old S&W 5-Screw Revolver

Post by Old No7 »

I acquired this old 5-Screw S&W Regulation Police in 32 S&W Long the hard way...

...From my late Father's inheritance...

I'd actually loaned it out to a friend of mine who was interested in checking out the older S&W 32s; and luckily he didn't handle it or shoot it much, if any, but eventually (it was more like "after several years" had passed actually...) he decided he liked it well enough to go out and buy his own used 32 Long S&W for a light woods-walking gun, and that way I could get my piece of family history back.
S&W 32 Reg Police (1) (Small).JPG
Now that I've gotten this back home and have switched from Ruger's over to S&Ws in my collection (except for the blackpowder Old Army), I'm better realizing just what terrific condition this piece is in -- and I'm also questioning my sanity for ever letting it out of my possession! :wink:
S&W 32 Reg Police (2) (Small).JPG
It’s a 5-Screw 32 S&W Long with a 3.25" barrel, with the standard (oversized, but not quite “target” sized) Regulation Police grips which have a June 1917 patent date stamped on them. The Serial # starts with 425XXX which dates it to late 1925 or early 1926, when my Dad would have been in grade school, but when and how he acquired it is info lost forever. I would rate the overall finish as being between 95% to 98%.
S&W 32 Reg Police (3) (Small).JPG
It has a slight turn line, which is very common for Smith's (old and new), and the action is very crisp with excellent timing and lockup. I will admit that I will proceed to fire off a box or two annually in remembrance of my 'ol Dad. I am sure he would be OK with that; as all of his guns, like this one too, were bought as "shooters" and not meant to be stuffed away in drawers.
S&W 32 Reg Police (4) (Small).JPG
Tight groups.

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Here's a Nice Old S&W 5-Screw Revolver

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
Having bought several older S&W revolvers over the years I agree.. this is a very nice well kept 5 screw. I do hope you never have to part with it again.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Ooohhh! :mrgreen:
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That revolver just oozes class. Don't let loose of it again -- unless it is to me.

:lol:
mack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mack »

That is just plain sweet! I love old Smith's, but never had a .32.
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

Since when did sanity have anything to do with collecting S & W' s.? If that was a requirement we'd all be in the looney bin. :lol: :lol: :lol: Beautiful old Smith with marvelous workmanship. I'm glad you got it back. :wink: :mrgreen:

Irv
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

By all means, shoot that beauty! But I warn you, it's best to start saving some money now for the "trail gun/shooter" that the experience of shooting this gun will demand you buy! That specimen would be too pretty to subject to rough duty for me, but the size of the gun and the chambering make such a nice woods-walking gun you won't be able to live without one to take to the field. I know what I am talking about. The pristine little Model 31 that made me buy my Charter Arms Undercoverette still rests secure in my safe after many years, while the Charter goes in my pocket whenever I head to the woods.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Thanks for the replies all -- yes, I will be keeping this one now!!
Pisgah wrote:...it's best to start saving some money now for the "trail gun/shooter" that the experience of shooting this gun will demand you buy! That specimen would be too pretty to subject to rough duty for me, but the size of the gun and the chambering make such a nice woods-walking gun you won't be able to live without one to take to the field...
Thanks for the advice, but I had already anticipated that! Luckily, I bought this Model 631 in 32 Mag before the prices went up well over $900 for a nice one... I keep saying to myself that I didn't overpay for this one, I just "bought it a few years too late..." :wink:
S&W 631 01 (Small).JPG
But the prices on those 631's are way up there now, and the last nice 32 Mag that I saw being sold on GunBroker went for over $1,800!!! And the asking prices for shorter snubbies is up over two grand!! :shock:

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I profess to be a Colt man but must admit that I have a soft spot for old Smiths. I really like your 32. The only 5 screw I currently own is a 1917 that has been butchered into a 3 1/2" and nickel plated. But I like it.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Very nice revolver :mrgreen: I'm so glad your friend looked after it, so many "friends" end up as ex friends when they give back a loaned firearm.
I never got to own a Smith&Wesson before our govt. banned handguns.. :cry:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

There's just somethin' about the pre war long action 'Smiths......nothing except maybe the single action Colt compares. Nice piece ole #7. :D ------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I've got a soft spot for S&Ws. that is nice!
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Pisgah wrote:By all means, shoot that beauty! But I warn you, it's best to start saving some money now for the "trail gun/shooter" that the experience of shooting this gun will demand you buy! That specimen would be too pretty to subject to rough duty for me, but the size of the gun and the chambering make such a nice woods-walking gun you won't be able to live without one to take to the field. I know what I am talking about. The pristine little Model 31 that made me buy my Charter Arms Undercoverette still rests secure in my safe after many years, while the Charter goes in my pocket whenever I head to the woods.
Along those lines, I highly recommend the Ruger Single Seven as a great woods-walking gun, easier on the wallet, and okay to beat up some. It comes in .327 Federal Magnum, but shoots those, .32 H&R Magnum, .32 Longs, .32 S&W's and even .32 ACP's in a pinch! If you made an exception for the Ruger Old Army, this is another you could make! :D

That sure is one beautiful S&W! :mrgreen:

BTW, how does your employer feel about your obsession with S&W's? :wink: