Biting my lip

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Biting my lip

Post by jhrosier »

I sent a defective barrel back to the maker for replacement.
I wasn't willing to accept 4-1/2" groups at 12 yards, from a rest.

After a bit more than a week after they received the bad barrel back, I sent an email asking
for an estimated date for the replacement.
Their answer was that their "returns policy" was four weeks.
Anything that I would have replied would probably delay the return until next Christmas. :(

I'm trying to figure if so many are returned that they can't keep up, or they aren't in a big hurry now that they have my money.
I probably should have asked for a refund and bought the one that costs twice as much.

My wife told me to just bite my tongue and keep quiet.

How long should I wait to get REALLY grouchy?

Jack
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Biting my lip

Post by FWiedner »

Perhaps they provide that time frame as a standard response in the event that they have to fabricate a new part.

If they have one with specs matching yours in stock and not already assigned to another customer, I see no reason why they would not ship immediately.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

You know, even the big gun companies aren't really very big, and some of the related companies, including some barrel companies, are really very small outfits. They may be in a crunch that creates some delay -- but, it may also be a case of "under-promise, and over-deliver", a very sound customer service policy that gives the vendor a bit of breathing room if there is some delay, and also a chance to please a customer who's told 4 weeks and gets it in 10 days. Either way, there's no evidence they are dealing in bad faith at this point, so give 'em the 4 weeks before bugging them.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I'm curious.....with groups that bad, it must have been visually obvious what the problem was. What was it?----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I know from delivering time sensitive loads that if I tell the customer I'll be there in 3 hours and it takes me 3 1/2 hours I'm stupid and don't know how to drive. It I tell them 4 hours and it takes me 3 1/2 hours I'm a hero.

Maybe they only want to disappoint you once.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Sixgun wrote:I'm curious.....with groups that bad, it must have been visually obvious what the problem was. What was it?----6
There was nothing about the fit that stood out. It is an auto pistol barrel BTW.
The new barrel had maybe a few thousandths of end play more than the original barrel.
The original barrel will keep most shots in about 1/2", one ragged hole, as they say.

Jack
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

jhrosier wrote:
Sixgun wrote:I'm curious.....with groups that bad, it must have been visually obvious what the problem was. What was it?----6
There was nothing about the fit that stood out. It is an auto pistol barrel BTW.
The new barrel had maybe a few thousandths of end play more than the original barrel.
The original barrel will keep most shots in about 1/2", one ragged hole, as they say.

Jack
Jack,

Now I'm curious. If the original barrel would keep all the shots in a 1/2" group, why did you replace it?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Wife paid $1700 to the Colt custom shop for a gift for me. Took it apart to clean & base pin would not fit. Called Colt & they said send it back under warranty, and that they had a 180 day turn around policy.

Too embarrassed to explain to my wife why I could not shoot it, I drove to Magnaport, they found a grinding flaw, & fixed it, free, all within 15 minutes.

Think I continue to do business with Colt and Magnaport?
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Another thought; Many manufacturers today use what was called "just in time" inventory/parts delivery. Parts from other manufacturers/vendors are scheduled to arrive at the manufacturer's facility "just in time" to be used/assembled into the final product (or shortly before). Once a manufacturing run/schedule is established, all orders for parts not made in house are scheduled to arrive at a specific time during the assembly process (just in time to be used), mainly so as to not have a large inventory of parts on hand. Very few "spare parts" are ordered also to keep inventory down. It's a lot easier than it sounds...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

We old heads can only wonder how a company can charge that much loot and let items like a flaw you had get through their quality control.....then tell you that you "might" have to wait a half year to get it back.

Yea, it's things like this that make me yearn for the old days.------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

J Miller wrote:....
Jack,

Now I'm curious. If the original barrel would keep all the shots in a 1/2" group, why did you replace it?

Joe
Joe,

The original barrel is polygonal rifling, no cast bullets allowed. I want to shoot cast bullet loads @ $5/100 rather than factory ammo @ $25/100.

Jack
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

jhrosier wrote:
J Miller wrote:....
Jack,

Joe
Joe,

The original barrel is polygonal rifling, no cast bullets allowed. I want to shoot cast bullet loads @ $5/100 rather than factory ammo @ $25/100.

Jack
Jack,
OK, that I understand.

Thanks,
Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

So, you replaced a Glock barrel, probably with a KKM or Lone Star?

Barrels are fairly hard to stockpile. Manufacturer I worked for had a barrel shortage, before they made their own. There were literally no barrels available for 2 months, every single one was allocated and they were working about 20/6 to make more....and still had no extra. That was in the first Obamascare.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

The barrel is a Lone Wolf.
I got an update today ( 3 weeks from requesting service.)
The barrel has been recrowned and the chamber & feed ramp polished.
It will ship sometime in the next three days.

I am a little surprised that they would spend the time to rework the barrel, considering the cost of labour these days.
It will be interesting to see what improvement there will be.
After all the drama ( on my part), I would hope that it will shoot better than the factory barrel.

I will know in a week or so. :D

Jack