7x57 Rimmed?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

7x57 Rimmed?

Post by .45colt »

A Friend called and asked if I knew anything about this cartridge (7x57r). He has a chance to pickup a Merkel Drilling 16ga over the rifle barrel. Anyone have any experience with this one. Thanks. Jim.
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Re: 7x57 Rimmed?

Post by Merle »

.45colt wrote:A Friend called and asked if I knew anything about this cartridge (7x57r). He has a chance to pickup a Merkel Drilling 16ga over the rifle barrel. Anyone have any experience with this one. Thanks. Jim.

IIRC, it is the same case as a 7x57, but with a rim added to work in single shots & drillings. I believe it operates a somewhat lower pressure. Handloading would probably be your best option, as ammo is pretty scarce.
Merle from PA
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Merle wrote:
.45colt wrote:A Friend called and asked if I knew anything about this cartridge (7x57r). He has a chance to pickup a Merkel Drilling 16ga over the rifle barrel. Anyone have any experience with this one. Thanks. Jim.

IIRC, it is the same case as a 7x57, but with a rim added to work in single shots & drillings. I believe it operates a somewhat lower pressure. Handloading would probably be your best option, as ammo is pretty scarce.
I've noted a couple of sources of the brass, but the price surely reflects the scarcity in this market -- right around $1.25 per case. Of course, keep loads where they ought to be and neck-size only and 100 cases should last a loonngg time.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Once upon a time, I had an older, pre-war Saur & Sohn 16x16x7x57R drilling, and I could only find the rifle ammo @ gunshows ($$$), and even then, really old ammo (S&B/Sellier & Benoit).

If the drilling your friend is considering is set up for claw-type scope mounts, I would caution him to VERY carefully check the top rib with a magnifying glass for a minute (or worse) separation from the shot barrels - a common fault, and a very expensive repair, often costing more than the gun is worth.

cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

7? No.

Got's me one a these. :wink:

Slow is just slow.
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Merle from PA
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Thanks Guys, I did some looking around today& found loaded ammo and some new Norma brass. called several places to see if 7x57 dies would work with a different shell holder for the rim. most reply's were "duh"....I dunno. :shock: . I'll keep digging and see what pans out. :) .
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

.45colt wrote:... to see if 7x57 dies would work with a different shell holder...
I believe so. You can inspect the standards published by the CIP (Europe's counterpart to SAAMI) and will find the differences are very minor.

The peak operating pressure for the rimmed is about 15% lower; however, it's nearly the same as the SAAMI data you'll find in US load books for the 7 Mauser. The CIP rates the rimless higher than SAAMI.

Karl
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

cas wrote:7? No.

Got's me one a these. :wink:

I've got a pair of 7x57R drillings , ones a 50's-60's JP Sauer under 12 gauge barrels and the others a Kerner under 16 gauge barrels . But what I'd REALLY like is a nice hammerless 16 gauge with claw mounts and a scope over 6.5x57R !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I load the 7x57R using normal RCBS 7x57 dies .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Thanks once again Guys.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

This made me laugh when I thought about it. "Which dies do I use?" "Mmmm... the ones that came with the gun!" I don't know what they are. :lol:
Slow is just slow.
mellonhead
Levergunner

Post by mellonhead »

You should be able to use 444 Marlin brass if you need brass. I used used it in a custom Encore barrel in 7x57 that I counter bored to use the 444 brass. Worked great. I ran it through a 8x57 sizer die first.
Life begins at 45 caliber!
windy
Levergunner

Post by windy »

I bought some Norma brass for mine, and resized some 6.5x57R brass (full length, not just expanding, as the shoulder is different) and the resized RWS 6.5 works better in my 7x57R/12ga combo than the Norma 7. I don't think I'm getting quite the full case resized using my regular 7x57 dies with a 303 Brit shellholder but that might be a problem with my press. I'm loading just under max out of the old Lyman book using IMR 4064 and getting no excess pressure signs shooting 120 Noslers and 130 Speers; the 140 Noslers don't shoot to the sights by a bit. Don't need big bullets to kill the local deer or coyotes, and I'm happier packing out a brace of grouse than a deer anyway, so I'm set to go for next Fall. I tend to load with H4350 for my regular 7x57's, but I bought a big keg of 4064 when powder was scarce and it seems to work good in the Brno, so I'll stay with it--and the 12ga barrel is so tight, I may need to shoot spreader loads or the low noise/low recoil 12's to salvage any meat from bird or bunny. Maybe one of my trapshooting buddies can load me some 7/8 oz. low-base 6's.
mind yer topknots!
windy
sonny, whar i growed up, "magnum" wuz another word fer "lousy hunter".