Fair Notice

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Fair Notice

Post by Pete44ru »

On Monday, January 18, 2016, Kimber will be releasing a new platform that will change the way that you think about concealed carry.

This “revolutionary” new handgun will be on display in the Kimber bay at the SHOT Show Industry Day at the Range on January 18, 2016, and in the Kimber SHOT Show booth (#11762).

For all of our loyal fans and consumers that will not be attending 2016 SHOT Show, we will be running a live feed of this product launch and other SHOT Show on-goings within our SHOT Show media page and throughout all social media platforms.

Also, detailed new product information will be available on kimberamerica.com on the afternoon of January 18, 2016.

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Fair Notice

Post by TedH »

Oooohhh, Interesting!
NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

Maybe a revolver to rival the Python? But for under $1000????

Can't wait 'til tomorrow!
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The Kimber K-6

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

DAO? :(
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hmmmm, almost as ugly as Rugers little revolver, but interesting.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

J Miller wrote:Hmmmm, almost as ugly as Rugers little revolver, but interesting.

Joe
Yep, the Ruger LCR won't be able to claim being the "Latest Crappy (looking) Revolver" if this is released.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

jeepnik wrote:
J Miller wrote:Hmmmm, almost as ugly as Rugers little revolver, but interesting.

Joe
Yep, the Ruger LCR won't be able to claim being the "Latest Crappy (looking) Revolver" if this is released.

No "if's" about it - It's a done deal, introduced today @ S.H.O.T. & online.

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Pete44ru wrote:
jeepnik wrote:

Joe

No "if's" about it - It's a done deal, introduced today @ S.H.O.T. & online.

The king is dead, long live the king.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

And here I am, in Vegas... :cry:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

It looks interesting to me. I'd like to hold one to see how it feels. Would love to see it in .44 Special!
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I like it. Kimber makes some good products but they are pricey. Wonder what this will go for?
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

They can't build 1911s that work right, so they go after the revolver market?

Not saying there's no market for a 6 shot 2" .357, but I'd rather it not be built by Kimber.

They couldn't get the Solo to work either.....
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Well, hmmm. I was hoping for something like a Diamondback but in 327 Federal. Maybe like a Smith model 16 but in a real 32 Magnum.

I should just go get a nice old SAA in 32-20 and call it done.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

DAO for their entry snubbie revolver... nope.

Something like the S&W 638 would have been better - partially enclosed hammer that wouldn't get caught in clothing, but its nub hammer can be cocked for a more controllable single-action trigger pull.
(EDITED to show photo of the Mod 638 semi-shrouded hammer)

There MIGHT be a time where a single-action aimed shot with a lighter trigger pull is indicated. Example: An armed attacker in a closed room, but more than 7 1/2 yards away. Which is what we are seeing, now.

They missed the boat.
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

I saw on the SHOT Show News page that Pietta may be coming out with a Python clone.
.....And Starline announced the company was now producing brass for the .41 Special cartridge.

How about a five shot Python clone chambered in .41 Special?

Well, one can dream anyway.........
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I don't see the need for me to quit packing my old s&w model 40.

JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Me, I don't mind the totally exposed hammer. It works fine from a proper concealment holster.

MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The Bodyguard hammer slot is a lint trap. Carried one for a year plus. Never once used or contemplated using the SA option in realistic training (the entire reason I bought it). I have a 642 now. On a 3 or 4" K frame, SA is a usable option, on the J's......eh.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

MrMurphy wrote:The Bodyguard hammer slot is a lint trap. Carried one for a year plus. Never once used or contemplated using the SA option in realistic training (the entire reason I bought it). I have a 642 now. On a 3 or 4" K frame, SA is a usable option, on the J's......eh.
Mr. Murphy, how's your double action snubbie working for you at 10 yards? Consistent head shot sized groups possible? I have always been a passable to reasonably good pistol shot, but NEVER felt compelled to brag about double-action snubbie shooting at anything past the 7 1/2 yard line. I'm starting to practice this more, now, but it will take a lot of work, I believe.

These days, I believe it is wise to start practicing in earnest for serious encounters beyond the "combat shooting standard" of 5 to 7 1/2 yards. As an awakened and alerted America starts responding to what is happening with these radical "religious" zealots, history will start recording incidents where that standard has been lengthened.

By the way, I have never seen so many shooting lanes full of new shooters and notably women, most with a trainer, as I saw last week at a Fresno indoor range. I came at a time that is not traditionally busy, but had to wait my turn for the first time, ever. Okay, this sounds like rambling, but I believe that it enforces a few points:

1) The time is right for Kimber to introduce a revolver as solons are working feverishly to restrict semi-autos of all types; anything with a magazine.

2) Many women shooters, who are increasingly entering the fold, have a problem with working the slide, especially the stiff ones on those tiny sub-gun semis. This is not just my view; it was also discussed by a Federal "Distinguished Master" pistol sharpshooter who worked for several agencies including Homeland Security, Secret Service, and other agencies during several decades; my Advanced Combat Shooting and CCW Renewal instructor.

3) As noted, however: The civilian market is exploding, and just a detective-type belly gun for last ditch arm's length shooting doesn't seem like a good idea, when one can buy another one that allows SA shooting.

Shazaam! I should be at those market share planning sessions for Kimber!

The lint thing - I've always used an IWB (inside waistband) or Berns-Martin type upside shoulder holster or even an ankle holster - never trusted a pocket much. Never a problem with lint.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

The Kimber offering looks nice, but consider this:
1) Nubbie hammer as mentioned
2) 3 inch barrel
Takes away little from cocealability
Adds to sight radius
Burns more powder, less blast
Faster projectile, e.g. 150+ fps faster in this standard pressure handload:
QuickLoad Estimates

Hornady 158 gr. SWC HP #10428, 4.0 gr. Alliant UNIQUE, COAL 1.455 in.
1 7/8" barrel: 75.68% burn, 524 fps
3 inch barrel: 88.7% burn, 684 fps

Hornady 124 gr. HP/XTP #35571, 5.7 gr. Alliant UNIQUE, COAL 1.550 in.
Pressure still medium, safe for non +P guns: 14705psi of 17000 Max SAAMI
1 7/8" barrel: 68.1% burn, 548 fps
3 inch barrel: 86.61% burn, 802 fps (!)
This XTP bullet starts expanding at 750 fps; looks pretty good to me for the 3-inch.

Bullseye might make an even more efficient load for practice rounds that can duplicate some snappy factory short-barrel loads (my choice for actual carry).

In fact, given the modest pressures I must work with to preserve aluminum semi-collectible SW M&P Airweight, I am considering the addition of just such a gun to my armaments - a .357 3 inch to handle a moderately snappy .38 Special load (immediately above or perhaps a bit more) or .357 loads with fast powder. We are still talking about a load that won't bite too badly in the hand if rapid fire is needed.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Yawn.

I see they offer their scaled down 1911 in 9 now.

I'd have been more interested in a 5 shot revolver sized around the 9. The cylinder could be shortened greatly, reducing bulk some, and the ammo is comparatively cheap these days.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

I like it. And frankly, my Kimber Raptor 1911 has been flawless, with exceptional fit and finish, and extremely accurate. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Kimber.

"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

KWK wrote:Yawn.

I see they offer their scaled down 1911 in 9 now.

I'd have been more interested in a 5 shot revolver sized around the 9. The cylinder could be shortened greatly, reducing bulk some, and the ammo is comparatively cheap these days.
A friend has a little 9mm revolver and it works well with full moon clips for quick loads.

I prefer the .38 (or better, snub .357) because it is much easier to reload; the .357 can handle snappier loads more safely; and I like the quick dump, quick reload speedloaders that service a revolver round.

And for a while, 9mm store bought ammo was nowhere to be found in any quantity. That might happen again. There will probably be a little "disturbance in the Force" around here, but I have half decided to adopt another child into the family - a 3-inch .357 - after having reviewed recent events worldwide and ruminating on various possible scenarios that could unfold in one's daily life. My reliable old .38 airweight likes ammo that is a bit anemic for certain circumstances. But whenever possible, the full-size 1911 type .45 with Crimson Trace still reigns supreme with me.

KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

JohndeFresno wrote:I prefer the .38 (or better, snub .357) because it is much easier to reload; the .357 can handle snappier loads more safely...
I understand. I was just trying to suggest the world didn't really need yet another .357 snubby. Reducing the bulk of a pocket revolver by chambering it for a shorter auto-loader cartridge would be of some interest to me. Even better would be a short cylinder .38 suitable only for flush loaded +P+. Neither would sell well, of course. Pity the 9 Federal didn't succeed, although no one designed a revolver to take advantage of its short length. A rimmed .380 at .357 pressures would be spiffy. (There's no end of odd ideas from me.) My S&W 12 will remain my only handgun unless I decide to try CC, in which case I'll likely get a wee .380--maybe the Kimber.