(Good read) Winchester Model 94

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

(Good read) Winchester Model 94

Post by cshold »

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: (Good read) Winchester Model 94

Post by rjohns94 »

Great read. After waffling and trading a bunch of these, my current one has moved up on my love affair list. Since I have paired down my offerings, this trapper 94 may stick around as my favorite.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

Very nice read. They also have a review of the Marlin 39A that's interesting, at least it was to me, since I have one that I love.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I really enjoyed that article. Thanks.
For many years I've wanted to try a 30-30 Ackley Improved. About 300 Savage ballistics or just less than a 308 Winchester but still in that light, handy 94 package. With a receiver sight it should be good for 250 yards or so which is past where I'm comfortable without a scope.
If the bore in my 25-35 were better, I'd AI it.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've always understood it was the nickel-steel barrels that weren't ready when the cartridge was?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Treetop
Levergunner

Post by Treetop »

This is an excellent article, cshold! All of my life I've yearned for a pre-64 Model 94 and now that I've retired and we occasionally have a few bucks extra at the end of the month, I'm seriously on the hunt for one.

My question is: What is the serial no. range for the last of the pre-64s?

I would prefer a rifle made in the 50s or early 60s and it doesn't have to be a pristine safe queen. Some honest patina on the outside lends character, IMO. It must, however, have a good to excellent bore. This rifle will be shot exclusively with cast boolits. Thanks and Merry Christmas to all! Treetop
Treetop
Sgt. USMC
1968-71

NRA Life Member since 1980

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Treetop wrote:This is an excellent article, cshold! All of my life I've yearned for a pre-64 Model 94 and now that I've retired and we occasionally have a few bucks extra at the end of the month, I'm seriously on the hunt for one.

I would prefer a rifle made in the 50s or early 60s and it doesn't have to be a pristine safe queen. Some honest patina on the outside lends character, IMO. It must, however, have a good to excellent bore. This rifle will be shot exclusively with cast boolits. Thanks and Merry Christmas to all! Treetop
Just my opinion,

I have many 94's from all ranges of production. From a four digit 38-55 to an unfired, post war pre-64.
Do yourself a favor and buy a pre-war example. As long as its mechanically sound, I'd rather a pre-war with no finish left than a really nice post war example. There's just something about em.
Its not that the post war carbines aren't nice, but the older ones have a lot better "feel" and are generally better shooters. If you find one that ain't real pretty, or has been drilled for a receiver sight, it won't cost much more than a post war example.
Good luck. You will wish you hadn't waited so long. :D :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Treetop, 2,586,000 looks to be the upper end of the pre 64 Model 94 numbers.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

OldWin wrote:
Treetop wrote:This is an excellent article, cshold! All of my life I've yearned for a pre-64 Model 94 and now that I've retired and we occasionally have a few bucks extra at the end of the month, I'm seriously on the hunt for one.

Just my opinion,

I have many 94's from all ranges of production. From a four digit 38-55 to an unfired, post war pre-64.
Do yourself a favor and buy a pre-war example. As long as its mechanically sound, I'd rather a pre-war with no finish left than a really nice post war example. There's just something about em.
Its not that the post war carbines aren't nice, but the older ones have a lot better "feel" and are generally better shooters. If you find one that ain't real pretty, or has been drilled for a receiver sight, it won't cost much more than a post war example.
"There's just something about em."
Plain simple truth :)

Treetop
Levergunner

Post by Treetop »

Thanks for the information and opinions, guys! Sorry it took so long for me to reply, we are having a new home built on our family ranch in central Texas so it's been very hectic around the Treetop hacienda lately!

It's going to be very nice to have a 300 yard range literally in my backyard and Mrs. Treetop has graciously allowed me to have a dedicated "man cave" upstairs in the new house.

My house warming present(s) to myself will be a new Dillon 550 (to replace my Dillon 300 that I bought new in 1981) and a pre-64 Model 94.
Treetop
Sgt. USMC
1968-71

Treetop
Levergunner

Post by Treetop »

cshold wrote:
OldWin wrote:

Just my opinion,

"There's just something about em."
Plain simple truth :)

cshold, that is one beautiful picture! Treetop
Treetop
Sgt. USMC
1968-71

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Thanks much :)
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

M. M. Wright wrote:For many years I've wanted to try a 30-30 Ackley Improved... If the bore in my 25-35 were better, I'd AI it.
Perhaps a rebore to .30 is in order? Hmmm, perhaps the .30's and .25's used a different carrier.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I have owned a 1965 manufactured 30-30 (got it unfired from a relative), a 307 big bore, a Legacy 26 inch 38-55 with a tang sight from the factory and a packer big bore in 444. I have sold them all :shock: I need to have a 30-30... so contemplating a pre 64 or a new take down carbine. Knowing the new one would have to go to Turnbull for de-lawyering and then case finish, leads me to believe I could buy a high quality pre 64 ... or model 64 for about the same $. Hard decision!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

"I could buy a high quality pre 64 ... or model 64 for about the same $. Hard decision!"

Easy decision in my book.
Go vintage pre 64, for multiple reasons 8)
J Buck
Levergunner

Post by J Buck »

Nice little read. I have owned other rifles in different calibers including a nice Model 70 in 7mm Rem Mag. Sold them but kept my .30-30 Model 94 and my little Glenfield carbine.
In the swamps and pine flats of Florida, it does put meat on the table and doubles as home security. I'll never sell them.
"When you should shoot, shoot. Don't talk."- Tuco