Honest wear?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Honest wear?

Post by jnyork »

Every so often I see some guy advertising a gun for sale, condition advertised as "honest wear". Whattheheck is "dishonest wear"? :roll:
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Re: Honest wear?

Post by claybob86 »

My guess:
Honest wear is from cops and other good guys carrying and using the gun. Dishonest wear happens when robbers and other bad guys carry and use the gun.

:P
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I contrast 'honest wear with "abuse". Honest wear would be bluing thinning at the natural carry point, minor dings/scratches in the stock, no rust other than perhaps some minor cosmetic freckling, expected finish wear on visible moving action parts. Abuse would mean a rifle that looks like it's been rattling around in the back of the pickup with the posthole digger, wire stretcher, and the 1/4 load of gravel you've been meaning to use on the potholes in your driveway. ( The latter are often considered by sellers to be valuable family heirlooms worth a premium price.)
Lassiter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Lassiter »

Pisgah wrote:I contrast 'honest wear with "abuse". Honest wear would be bluing thinning at the natural carry point, minor dings/scratches in the stock, no rust other than perhaps some minor cosmetic freckling, expected finish wear on visible moving action parts. Abuse would mean a rifle that looks like it's been rattling around in the back of the pickup with the posthole digger, wire stretcher, and the 1/4 load of gravel you've been meaning to use on the potholes in your driveway. ( The latter are often considered by sellers to be valuable family heirlooms worth a premium price.)

^^^^^
What he said........
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

I've seen plenty of guns with "dishonest wear." Besides the above examples, there is the worst kind which involves stealing a gun or guns and hiding them under the front porch with the widow spiders for X days, weeks, or months while waiting for the crime to "cool down." Sometimes it doesn't, and the guns are next found by a house demo crew or a plumber. In truly crappy shape because criminals are not the most thoughtful of folks and don't care much for anything, including loot. Gun oil? Huh-Wut?

And then there are the ones you find along a public road that have been tossed out of a car for various (all dishonest) reasons and suffered a good case of "road rash" plus whatever corrosion happens before somebody finds them. I've found two such guns over a long life of driving and walking. One was a "Raven" .25 auto, a gun best served by throwing it away. The cop who came and got it made a truly ugly face when he saw what it was--apparently he had "history" with Ravens.... The other was an S&W Model 27 with an uncommon factory 3 1/2" barrel that somebody's GF had ditched just to spite the owner. It was in upstate NYS in the winter and it had sat in a pile of gravel and road salt for X hours or days. Me and the Statie who responded to my call just about wept. Where's the horse whip when somebody needs it?
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Reckon Pisgah said it plain enough for me, wear from everyday use over a long time frame.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I would also put "honest wear" in the "it's a gun. I used it." column vs. "I bought it as a safe queen/investment - pay up" column.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Scrateshooter
Levergunner

Post by Scrateshooter »

JerryB wrote:Reckon Pisgah said it plain enough for me, wear from everyday use over a long time frame.
Grandpa, don't forget how they fall over in the corner sometimes, or fall out of places you forgot you put them while taking something down.

I honestly don't spend the time to clean them sometimes, and some just stay in the truck withstanding Texas humidity for months at a time.

When I'm rich and have my mansion in a few years each gun will have its own room and sit on a silk pillow and get an oil rub down by the servants every hour on the hour. I'll just sell my ammunition to pay the expenses, because shooting guns wears them out.
"Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand." Revelation 1:3
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Old Ironsights wrote:I would also put "honest wear" in the "it's a gun. I used it." column vs. "I bought it as a safe queen/investment - pay up" column.
Exactly.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

My first BLR had a lot of "honest wear" when I got it. The wrist on one side was worn nearly through by the tongue of a hi-lift jack. (You could clearly see the imprint of the tongue which goes under whatever you're jacking.) Wish I had taken a picture of it. I could easily imagine the rifle bouncing around in the floorboard of a pickup, under that jack and two pairs of muddy, 4 buckle overshoes while going down a ranch road between pastures. I quickly replaced the butt stock and now, 30 years later, it is starting to look like it matches the rest of the gun. Well, sorta.

Now, that's honest wear.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS