OT - cost to pay for a driver

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

OT - cost to pay for a driver

Post by FLINT »

I've been asked to drive someone to a professional meeting. The person who has asked me to drive said that I would be paid by the hosting organization and that I should charge whatever a driver would make. I tried looking this up but am not having any luck. The only thing I can find is that a Taxi would charge about $2/mile maybe. Would that be the rate to charge then? The total distance would be 250 miles round trip. Seems like way too much money to charge. Does anyone know what it would cost to get driven 250 miles? I would be driving my car. I don't want to come up with some ridiculous sum and embarrass myself. I was thinking maybe $100 - $200. What do you think?

Thanks!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: OT - cost to pay for a driver

Post by Blaine »

I guess it depends if this is a friend, or a business transaction. Business mileage allowance is pegged at about 58 cents a mile, plus 10 dollars an hour. For a friend? I'd sure get gas money, and meals....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

I was asked by a friend to drive a non-friend, but she said that since the organization is paying for it, to not think of it as a favor for a friend.

Blaine, that actually makes the most sense to charge the mileage rate, that would come to about $150 which sounds reasonable to me.

Thanks!
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Flint, you got to figure your car, 1 dollar a mile, got to figure your time ???
I mean your furnishing insurance and comfortable travel
Just my 2 cents
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FLINT wrote:I've been asked to drive someone to a professional meeting. The person who has asked me to drive said that I would be paid by the hosting organization and that I should charge whatever a driver would make. I tried looking this up but am not having any luck. The only thing I can find is that a Taxi would charge about $2/mile maybe. Would that be the rate to charge then? The total distance would be 250 miles round trip. Seems like way too much money to charge. Does anyone know what it would cost to get driven 250 miles? I would be driving my car. I don't want to come up with some ridiculous sum and embarrass myself. I was thinking maybe $100 - $200. What do you think?

Thanks!

250 miles = 15 gallons fuel = $45 (+/-)

250 miles = 4-5 hours drive time = $75 (+/-)

Wait time until return trip = 2hrs (?) = $20

Overhead = vehicle wear/tear + vehicle insurance = $20

$45 + $75 + $20 + $20 = $160 (+/-)

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

If it's your vehicle, and your gas, I wouldn't do it for less than a buck a mile. When I travel to work training, the company pays me .55/mile, plus my regular daily pay.
NRA Life Member
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Thanks guys! This is all very helpful.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Check to make sure your insurance will be covering you to do a paying job.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Flint: before agreeing to this, I would contact this organization and find out about their "travel reimbursement fees" first hand. That way you will not be in for any surprises about the reimbursement amount paid. Could vey well be a difference as to what you were told and what the organization actually will pay. Some organizations only pay for mileage, nothing else like tolls, parking, meals, etc. Also When I traveled for work, some areas were "actual expenses", but not exceed a certain specified amount. If there was an overage, that came out of my pocket.

And as another poster wrote, contact your insurance carrier!

I would not do it for less than a dollar per mile as you are looking at almost the whole day traveling.

And do not forget to consider:

--Any parking fees and/or tolls?
--Will this be a round trip with your rider? If so, you will be waiting around for your rider. And for how long?
--Consider your lunch expense and maybe dinner, depending upon what time you leave.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Thanks for all the help, but it has fallen through. My friend contacted me today and said that the organization cannot pay me directly as a private individual. They are going to see about flying this person up or paying a professional driver or something.
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

My friend contacted me today and said that the organization cannot pay me directly as a private individual.
Best thing that could happen. If you had an accident and the person was injured it would have been the most expensive trip of your life.