muzzle loader success

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

muzzle loader success

Post by iceman »

I went to my usual spot just before sunrise this morning and sat on my usual rock. It was a perfect kind of morning, little to no wind, a little overcast and just above freezing. Around 7;30 I saw a deer coming my way along the edge of a hay field. There were trees and branches hiding a good view of her but she was coming towards me and eating as
she went, so I waited. Finally she was clear of the trees and I could see her well, the only problem was that she could see me too. I fired and she took off running away from me and up over a little hill out of sight. I couldn’t believe I missed her but she was gone. I also saw 2 more white tails take off behind her that I didn’t see before. I reloaded the muzzle loader and started off towards the direction they went. When I got to the top of the field I saw 3 deer standing in the next field. As soon as they saw me they took off and ran into a big field of standing corn.
Now I was sure that I had missed, and a few choice words were said. I then went to look for tracks and try and see how they got to where I last saw them. I didn’t go far until I found the one I had shot at on the ground in some raspberry bushes. I guess there were 4 of them together.
An 80 gr equivalent of Blackhorn 209 and a 300 gr Hornady 45 cal SST with a low drag sabot did the job. Mind you almost any bullet would have worked as she was only about 30 yards away. Not a big as last year but at 108 lbs dressed not too bad. Should be good eating.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: muzzle loader success

Post by Nath »

Congrats, how many shots does your flint last for :lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

LOL
Nath my fire maker only lasts for 1 shot but they are pretty hot. I wouldn't mind trying a flintlock, but lefthanders are hard to find. I don't think I would like all that flash in front of my face.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I shoot left handed and shooting a flintlock (right hand version) is no problem.No need to worry about flash in the face but if your really concerned you can get a flash guard.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

iceman wrote:LOL
Nath my fire maker only lasts for 1 shot but they are pretty hot. I wouldn't mind trying a flintlock, but lefthanders are hard to find. I don't think I would like all that flash in front of my face.
What could go wrong!

:lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings and Congratulations !
Nothing like deer hunting to keep ya humble and wondering all at the same time. Then the joy of seeing your table being filled with good eating !!! Well done !
If you keep hunting the BP forums your gonna find a lefty flinter. Or you could just maker one or have it made.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Nath wrote:Congrats, how many shots does your flint last for :lol:
Good one, Nath! :lol: :lol: :lol:
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Good shootin, glad you found er
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Meat in the freezer!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The young man in the picture is not even wearing safety glasses! :o
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Well done
It is not the critic who counts
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Good eatin there. If you were in the U.S. I would offer to make you a lefty. I'm lefthanded also but like others have said it really doesn't bother you when you use a right handed flinter.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Well done -- congrats!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'm a southpaw as well. I was talking to an old timer one time and he pointed out that in days of old double barrel flintlock fowling pieces were fairly common. It really doesn't make that much difference. I shot my right handed flintlock left handed and never had any problems.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Cruising around the Wanamacher Arms Show over this past week-end I noticed 2 left hand flinters for sale. Not my thing as I'm left brained so didn't gather any more info on them.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS