Black Powder Ammo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
David
Levergunner 3.0

Black Powder Ammo

Post by David »

I have (um) a lot of antique pistols, heck I'll post a picture of one I just had one out, 100% original....
Actually a lot less since my daughters went to college but anyhow...

But I wanted either a reproduction 1875 or 1890 (I'm just a Remington guy) that I could shoot and end up with both. I know they can handle modern ammo but I want to shoot black power loads, I want to see/smell some smoke ;)

The 1875 is 45 and the 1890 is a 357, I see buffalo arms sells black powder loads is that the only option out there or are their other options or re-loaders out there? Non of my friends reload black power.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Black Powder Ammo

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
Why do you not start ? It really is easy and you always will have ammo ready. BP is easy to find. I buy it by the case cheap (legally you can to) and if a fellow shooting needs some pass the savings on to him.
Numerous places sell BP cast bullets already lubed. There is no way I know of you could possibly overcharge a case with BP. I have been around BP shooting since I was 4 (my dad and his Navy buddy) and have never seen any explosions or blowups. You really can do it. Far safer than driving a car. Lots of good fellers here will coach you along the safe ways.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Sounds like you need to start reloading yourself. Yes, there are other options. Many other options. Black Hills and Black Dawg come to mind without research, (I've bought some of theirs). Just use your search engine and you will find a lot of them.

I just shot a 2 day, regional black powder championship in Branson Mo. and their were vendors there with black powder ammo. 38/357 is the most popular and 45 is right there also but the "dashes", (44-40, 38-40) are better at keeping fouling out of your action.

Please remember to clean with soap and WATER! I've seen several guns ruined by using one of the so called black powder solvents. I use 10 parts water to 1 part Ballistol to clean with and oil with straight Ballistol.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

I used to reload, I'm not sure I want to go back and start again.
Most everything I actually shoot anymore is modern (9mm, 22), the competition guns I had are long gone with my youth... These two are going to become my "fun" guns to shoot.
I actually would have preferred 44-40 in both but I got these so cheap I couldn't pass them up.
I was googling I was surprised that black powder ammo really didn't bring up much I'll check these out.
Thanks!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

There's quite a bit of info available online - just google black powder pistol cartridge reloading.

David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Pete44ru wrote:.

There's quite a bit of info available online - just google black powder pistol cartridge reloading.

yes reloading A LOT, people selling not so much.
Black Dawge is just GOEX no ammo, Black Hills you find a reseller, Buffalo Arms looks to be the best option for now.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

David wrote: Non of my friends reload black power.

Could they be persuaded to?

Its pretty simple for just basic shooting ammo. Having bullets with the proper lube for black is about all thats really different, unless you count slightly compressing the powder charge.

The target shooters do more steps, but for basic shooting grade ammo, it isnt complicated.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

I kind of hinted that to a friend I know does reload a lot, I need to work on him more and quit cracking jokes about his 1911's.
There's just not enough powder there to take off more then one finger :lol: