OT : Old Colts [without levers ] to accompany a six shooter

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

OT : Old Colts [without levers ] to accompany a six shooter

Post by hfcable »

this Colt Lightning 44/40 SRC had been redone when i got it, but then needed mechanical work which was done to flawless level by bill pratt in california.

and this big boy is an all original Colt lightning Large Frame in 45/85/285 which is coltese for 45/90; it has an excellent bore and works fine, but i need to get the screws to mount the tang sight:

this large frame will get the full workup for good loads and be shot a lot this summer, and maybe go hunting this fall.
cable
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Way cool. The 44/40 is beautifull love the figure in the wood. I look forward to the range report for both.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

hfcable the crotch pattern on that 44/40 buttstock is stunning. :D The 45-90 caliber is interesting and I also can't wait for a range report. :D
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Stunning, beautiful, fantastic... now, where did I put that slobber rag?!? :D
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Those are gorgeous. :mrgreen:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

real slick...
awesome wood
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

very nice
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Very nice. I didn't know Colt made the Lightning rifle in big bore calibers. I thought they were all the revolver/rifle calibers. Now that's cool. How did the action hold up to firing the 45-90?
Old Law Dawg
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Absolutely striking !
And the big one in .45-90? New to me and I look forward to hearing your range report on these two great guns.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Nice rifles. Have a "need" for a 22 Lightning myself. Of course, my wife calls it a "want" but she just doesn't understand.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

kimwcook wrote:Very nice. I didn't know Colt made the Lightning rifle in big bore calibers. I thought they were all the revolver/rifle calibers. Now that's cool. How did the action hold up to firing the 45-90?
they made the small frame in 22 lr, the medium frame in pistol calibers [not including the 45 colt], and the large frame in multiple rifle calibers including 38/56, 45/90 and even 50/95; they held up well to the black powder pressures, and are okay with light smokelss [ie. equivalent to factory 300 gr. loads] but i beleive i will stick with something like hodgson 777 and enjoy the smoke and noise.
cable
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

While I'm not in favor of refinishing a historic gun, I have tro say that .44-40 has fantastic wood!

They're both nice and you should cherish them, as it's evident you do.
A man's heart devises [or schemes] his way, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Thanks for the information. I didn't know that about the Lightning. Oh by the way, that 44-40, you can send it to me when you get tired of it. I'll be sure to give it a really nice home.
Old Law Dawg
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

Now thats just a purty gun, if you can just figure some way to get the shiney stuff off it so it can go hunting. :D :D
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger
scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scr83jp »

Uberti is making replicas in 38/357 & 45 colt saw some at the Shot shows.May be others making them also.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

scr83jp wrote:Uberti is making replicas in 38/357 & 45 colt saw some at the Shot shows.May be others making them also.
i'd like to try their 357; local shop had 5 uberti 45s with case hardening,beautiful, but they returned all of them to the distributor as none of the 5 were reliable feeders;
i'll bet the 357s will work fine though.
cable
scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scr83jp »

hfcable wrote:
scr83jp wrote:Uberti is making replicas in 38/357 & 45 colt saw some at the Shot shows.May be others making them also.
i'd like to try their 357; local shop had 5 uberti 45s with case hardening,beautiful, but they returned all of them to the distributor as none of the 5 were reliable feeders;
i'll bet the 357s will work fine though.
There is a Taurus Thunderbolt( resembles Colt Lightning) in 45lc for sale at Auction Arms for $479.99 buy it now price.Item # 7994383
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

DON'T FORGET, HONEST TO GOODNESS....AMERICAN MADE LIGHTNINGS ARE AVAILABLE FROM.. USFA.. AND THE ONES I'VE SEEN ARE ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

The wood on that restored one is beautiful. Nice rifles. Thanks for posting the photos.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/