Crossbows

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Crossbows

Post by RustyJr »

I am looking into getting a crossbow for next years archery season. I was wondering if anyone on here has had any experience with them. I was looking at some of the excalibur's in the recurve configuration. Any information or recommendations would be appreciated.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Crossbows

Post by tman »

Same as you, I'm a novice looking to get into crossbows. Doing net searches I came across the Arrow Precision Inferno and the Barrett Jackal. Both are reviewed as best buys for the money, The Arrow, around $150 and the Barnett around $250. My plan is to get one to target shoot with friends, and perhaps, reach the level to humanly take a deer out to 20 yards with.
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

Don't know much about them but I shot a friends "10 Point crossbow" the cables to draw it back are built into the stock not a separate part you have to carry with you it worked real nice and the thing was deadly accurate.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

My Son & his friends have been using X-bows ever since our state made them legit for deer hunting (about 4 years ago), for everybody (not just handicapped hunters).

Since they've already been through it, I would advise against purchasing a Barnett - the bows suck, and when they get returned for a warranty repair, it was a P.I.T.A. (shades of Taurus).

They've since went with Carbon Express, and have had zero issues with them - so they sold their fancy Mathews compound bows.

Those bows are so fast, that (at short range) it was like firing a metallic cartridge rifle - @ 40 yds, the target got knocked down as soon as I pulled the trigger (when my Son let me try his bow).
The accuracy was top-notch, too.

Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Most people use Horton bows, around here. I have taken several deer, a bobcat, a fox, etc with mine over the years. Mine is a compound bow, with pulleys. However, there are several models with recurve limbs on the market now that look great.

I limit my shots to about 20yds, usually, but longer shots can be made, especially if you have a range finder. In Arkansas we have had a crossbow season for many years. I like the crossbow for deer hunting, but it's not really any better then a good compound bow, except you don't have to draw or hold it back, but the range is about the same. Actually, the crossbow might shoot harder up close, but the compound bow with it's longer arrow carries better at the longer ranges, IMHO.
NRA Life Member, Patron
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Lastmohecken, how's the weather over your way? I have not even strung my bow up this year,don't think my shoulder would pull it. My son brought his crossbow up for me to use a few years ago, shot it some that day and sent it home with him.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Jerry just said the magic phrase. I don't think my shoulder would pull it. I have a torn rotator cuff and a displaced shoulder blade from a fall. I cannot shoot a compound any longer so I tried the crossbow. I searched craigslist and found a older Parker with quiver, bolts ,broadheads, and a target for $120 or 125 don't remember, that way if I didn't like it I wasn't out a ton. I love it! I am hoping to upgrade to a faster crossbow this year. I was in Cabela's Hamburg tonight and in the Bargain???Cave they had a couple Ten Points and a Excaliber marked down to about a thousand give or take, not me buddy. To the OP it will not take you nearly as long to be good with a crossbow as you think. I heartily recommend a crossbow, as a matter of fact I leave Saturday for a week of sitting in a tree with one beside me. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

The store that I get my archery stuff from recommends the excaliber if you want the best. Said they sell a lot of Barnett's and work on them more than any other xbow. They don't recommend them but they do sell them. Go figure. The owner told me any of the xbows with speeds up around 400fps have more problems than the xbows in the 300fps-350fps in any brand. I bought my daughter a Parker last year and think its a nice bow. Don't remember the model off the top of my head. It has a nice trigger on it and not as noisy as some of the xbows out there. I have a cheap xbow that I think is from china. The trigger on it is crazy heavy and you can hear it in the next county when it goes off. But it will do the job. If you can go and shoot a couple of different xbows. The store I go to lets customers try out bows all the time before you buy. One of the reasons I like the place so well.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It's BIG but if I really wanted a crossbow I could depend on for accuracy and power, I'd get one of these (even though I pretty much despise the over-used term "tactical"); I've seen several videos of them shooting one inch groups at 50 or even 100 yards, and velocity and bolt weight seem to pack a punch.

Very pricey, but I've not seen any other crossbow come close in performance.

http://pse-archery.com/shop/shop-crossbows/tac-elite/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5nVSfv0Rlg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chscJyx2GKU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDQthc4jap4

....besides....you can mount a M-208 on it if you want... :twisted:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
boolitshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by boolitshooter »

Those U-Tube videos were cool. Makes me want to get one. I can no longer hunt with my compound or long bows l have. Never knew about the crank system. Only thing I knew was the old school in drawing the string back and I know I can't do that any more.
Thanks for posting this.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I've owned and traded away a PSE Viper and Horton Legacy. Both were just OK for 30 yard shooting but not spectacular accuracy. My current crossbow is a Ten Point which I purchased second hand for a very good price. This Ten Point is very fast. Accuracy is nothing short of amazing. Above average quality is evident, too.

I suggest look at a new Wicked Ridge model or a second hand Ten Point. Nothing wrong with Excalibur but the limbs are very wide which can be annoying in close quarters out in the deer woods.

TR

Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

Have played with them and used them, I stick with the non-compound models, for me they are easier to maintain and shoot, there are a very few great compound models out there and you get what you pay for, Ten Point and Mission are two I have owned, Parker is good, Barnett will get you by, but I think of them as a gimmick bow,but I don't like the guys TV show either. I have stayed the longest with the Excaliber, I don't shoot past 40 yards, and shoot a fixed blade slightly heavier then standard, but I use it on hogs bears and deer

Excaliber does have a forum site chcek it out all kinds of discussion on all kinds of X-bows
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I've had my Barnett Quad 300 since my days on Maui, very effective tool on the deer their. All my hunting buddies their also used the same crossbow and were very happy with them. Not sure if this particular model is still in production as mine was made at least 15 years ago. A crossbow in my opinion does not have any power or range advantage over a compound bow the main advantage being it's infinite hold of the drawn projectile so no hold fatigue or potential draw movement being seen by the game. Crossbows are illegal on public lands here so used strictly on private property.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JNG »

I did not use a crossbow until I torn up my shoulder at work. Biggest thing that I note, is use large blades. I don't know any else but trust me!

Joe
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Check out Koda Bow, made in PA. it's a non compound bow and scary accurate.
Not cheap, but this thing is bullet proof.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

gcs wrote:Check out Koda Bow, made in PA. it's a non compound bow and scary accurate.
Not cheap, but this thing is bullet proof.

That does look promising...http://kodabow.com/index.php

Now you have me interested.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I just bought a Excaliber Matrix 355 last night. Hoping I made a good choice and that it lives up to its reputation.
I will give a update after I gain some experience.
Ridgerunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ridgerunner »

Took my first archery deer last Sat. with my xbow, complete pass thru @ 18 yards, had illuminated nocks on the quarrel, saw it come out and land in the leaves behind her. Big doe, ran about 50-60 yards, found her next to service road up to the landlord's woodshed. Easy recovery for up here. I have bad back, neck and 2 blown rotator cuffs, but using the cocking device I can get a bolt in place without too much effort. Will get up in the am and go try for another, now that VA finally let us hunt on Sundays....I'm sold, use Carbon Express bolt, Rage 100 gr. mechanical head. 3 sided cut going in and out.
Confederately yours,

Ridgerunner
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

If I was going to have another X-bow that Koda bow is sure impressive, like the set up and looks of it
flyfisher66048
Levergunner 1.0

Post by flyfisher66048 »

t.r. wrote:I've owned and traded away a PSE Viper and Horton Legacy. Both were just OK for 30 yard shooting but not spectacular accuracy. My current crossbow is a Ten Point which I purchased second hand for a very good price. This Ten Point is very fast. Accuracy is nothing short of amazing. Above average quality is evident, too.

I suggest look at a new Wicked Ridge model or a second hand Ten Point. Nothing wrong with Excalibur but the limbs are very wide which can be annoying in close quarters out in the deer woods.

TR

I have that same crossbow. With good arrows it is scary accurate. The slick trick broad heads shoot the same as field points out to 40 yards.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

JerryB wrote:Lastmohecken, how's the weather over your way? I have not even strung my bow up this year,don't think my shoulder would pull it. My son brought his crossbow up for me to use a few years ago, shot it some that day and sent it home with him.
It's been a little bit dry lately, but we have been pretty fortunate this year and had rain most of the time, with good grass, and lots of hay.
NRA Life Member, Patron
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

PSE?? A "Tactical Assault" crossbow??? What a bunch of stupid marketing BS is that. How about just a bow to use for a well thought out deer or hog hunt instead of trying to make some guys dick bigger because of what you call the crossbow!!

I have used a Mission bow (made by Mathews) and they are light, very small which is good in a tree stand or pop up blind. Shoots like a dream and will have NO problem hitting a 1 inch target at 40 yards. Use a monopod for great shooting. I have also used an Excalibur 350 brand that probably has the best trigger around. They did have limb problems on the 380 version so be carful if buying second hand.

Michael
Michael Puzio
Winchester Model 1892 Collector, Research & Valuations
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Everybody has their favorite, but I'm a fan of the Excalibur bows. With the simple design, you don't have any cams to worry about timing issues with and you can string and unstring them without a press. I can change strings out in the boonies by myself with no tools needed in an emergency situation. Some cam designs are faster and quieter, but I prefer the simplicity of the Excalibur designs. The Matrix line is also more narrow than the older models.