What's up with Sizing Wax? FOLLOW-UP

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

What's up with Sizing Wax? FOLLOW-UP

Post by JohndeFresno »

This is an update to:
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =case+lube

OK, I had some problems trying the sizing wax.

DISCOVERY:
My failures were due to insufficient application - putting the wax on the small neck of the .223's I was loading.

Using Hornady case wax, I now twist the cases quickly in a spiral motion that includes working up to the neck, like a corkscrew. It works well, is less messy and quicker than using spray stuff or rolling the cases on a pad with the liquid stuff.

I'm sold... for the moment. I love this stuff.

Oh-oh - I just read an article in "Shooting Times," November 2015, that introduces RCBS's "Lube Dies." That is, not the lube sizing dies for the bullet, but the decapper/lube dies for cases. Apparently, there are four (#1- #4) that RCBS sells, one of which is on sale at Midway.

You add Case Lube 2 to the die and then run them through. I don't travel much these days and don't waste money on likker or baccy, so I'll venture a few bills to try out this technology and let you know how it works.

Meanwhile, for lubing - Wax rules!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What's up with Sizing Wax? FOLLOW-UP

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I agree. I use Imperil Sizing Die Wax. A little bit goes a long way. :wink:
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

There are four (4) dies that cover multiple calibers. For example, Die #1, which is on sale, fits:
.17 Remington
.222 Remington
.222 Remington Magnum
.223 Remington
6mm PPC
7mm TCU

Another single die handles most .30 caliber calibers, including the .30-30.

The die looks just like a resizing die - here is a photo from a seller:

Note - decapping and lubing, only; not a sizer die.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Plain ol', cheap Johnson's Paste Wax works well, too. One can = lifetime supply.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Pisgah wrote:Plain ol', cheap Johnson's Paste Wax works well, too. One can = lifetime supply.
:D
That makes sense. Some folks like to enjoy fat profits.

I recently read where a high profile gun oil used by various government agencies was allegedly tested out on a gas chromatograph, and it showed the same chart data as plain ol' cooking oil.

Only difference - the gun oil reportedly costs 10,000 times as much (that's right - 10,000x) as Crisco. I'm following that to see how it shakes out.
http://www.vuurwapenblog.com/general-op ... an-crisco/

All right, this thread is wandering, and it's my fault.

I will be testing the RCBS Lube / Deprime Dies, so there is a new thread created:

"Testing RCBS Lube/Deprime Dies"
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=64261
abcollector
Levergunner 2.0

Post by abcollector »

John, did you ever try out that RCBS Lube Die? Just wondered what your thoughts were on how well it worked. I use the Imperial Sizing Wax and apply it with my thumb and index finger & middle finger.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

abcollector wrote:John, did you ever try out that RCBS Lube Die? Just wondered what your thoughts were on how well it worked. I use the Imperial Sizing Wax and apply it with my thumb and index finger & middle finger.
Yes.
See the above cited new thread:
"Testing RCBS Lube/Deprime Dies"
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=64261

I used Die #1 on .223's again today, 150 cases. It works well.

The new thread details the procedure. I am pleased with the dies, especially for the troublesome, sizer die eating 223's.