1943 - $1200, No Paper. Deal or no Deal?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

1943 - $1200, No Paper. Deal or no Deal?

Post by Old Ironsights »

C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: 1943 - $1200, No Paper. Deal or no Deal?

Post by Blaine »

Probably a good idea if you have the extra cash....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

It looks good to me, but then I'm a sucker for a nice M-1.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Measure muzzle crown, wear there kills accuracy. Replaced wood. IMO, not a $1200 gun. $900-1000 if the muzzle & bore are in great shape. Look @ DCM website... IIRC a newly refitted M-1 w/ new wood & new Criterion barrel is ~$1100.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Deal.

:wink: :mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Well... I sprung. My house in Lingle sold on the 31st so I had (just) enough set back. Definitely gotta replace the $$ tho. Need to replace my truck.

1943 Springfield, non-matching SNs. New wood, sharp bore. 144 rounds of ammo and 44 clips. Looks like it might have been a CMP (the ammo is all CMP sold HXP/78). Guy claims to have had it for 12 years.

Best of all, Bucket List and no 4473. :twisted:

Took it with me scouting for antelope and stopped at the BLM "rock shooting range". Sights as is were minute of antelope at 200yds. Needs sighting in, but not bad for the first bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang,bang PING! of unknown FMJ...

Once I shoot up all the .30-06 ammo, I will probably and have it fitted with a new .308 barrel (about $250) and an adjustable gas plug since I have about a zillion .308 rounds and don't really want to go buying more ammo of another caliber.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Good for you. No paper is awesome!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

A pieced M1 for $1200? A little high for me. I got an M1 with new bbl and new stock, Springfield receiver in +++ condition for $900.00, no collector's value, just a shooter. CMP still has a bunch of Garands...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Hmmm. Priced is within the bell curve for new wood, good barrel, the extras and no paper.

And you can do better at the CMP, but just looked there at what they had and the availability, so right now you can't do better. (grin)

I understand about the .308 but I'd be really hard pressed to re-barrel. Or I would keep everything together to be able to convert it back.

Nice looking rifle. Enjoy.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

wecsoger wrote:Hmmm. Priced is within the bell curve for new wood, good barrel, the extras and no paper.

And you can do better at the CMP, but just looked there at what they had and the availability, so right now you can't do better. (grin)

I understand about the .308 but I'd be really hard pressed to re-barrel. Or I would keep everything together to be able to convert it back.

Nice looking rifle. Enjoy.
Oh, I'd definitely keep the parts for re-conversion. Be a while before I do that anyway. Gas Plug first - that way I can shoot commercial hunting ammo.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I think you got a really cool rifle there, a straight shooter. I'd love to shoot it. I've almost never shot a 30-06, or 30-30 longer as I sometimes call it.

remember to keep a spare stripper so you can outfox the incoming hordes by making them think you're empty. Heh.
Richardx
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Richardx »

Had to check the safe to make sure my '43 (April, 10 yrs. older than me) was still in there :wink: it is.

Nice looking M-1, and sure, they all say you coulda done better but you have it in hand, shot it, like it, so be happy!

Come on guys be happy for the man!
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I can't talk about price, but there are very, very few WWII Garands out there that have no been rebuilt at some time. Original WWII Garands bring really high dollars.

I am OK with a US Arsenal rebuild as most were rebuilt after the war. My is a 1957 Red River Arsenal rebuilt that is about new since it was rebuilt. I paid $500.00 for it, about 2001.

I am not OK with rebuilt Garands at some foreign arsenal. They may or may not be good rifles.

A US arsenal rebuild will have the arsenal and date done in electro-pencil on one of the receiver legs. This will be under the new Park and it may take a strong light to see it.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Nice score OI, congrats, enjoy! Love M1s
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Charles wrote:I can't talk about price, but there are very, very few WWII Garands out there that have no been rebuilt at some time. Original WWII Garands bring really high dollars.

I am OK with a US Arsenal rebuild as most were rebuilt after the war. My is a 1957 Red River Arsenal rebuilt that is about new since it was rebuilt. I paid $500.00 for it, about 2001.

I am not OK with rebuilt Garands at some foreign arsenal. They may or may not be good rifles.

A US arsenal rebuild will have the arsenal and date done in electro-pencil on one of the receiver legs. This will be under the new Park and it may take a strong light to see it.
I'll look. I just got a low pressure gas plug highly recommended on the CMP forum, so I'll be taking it apart soon anyway.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Old Ironsights wrote:
Charles wrote:I can't talk about price, but there are very, very few WWII Garands out there that have no been rebuilt at some time. Original WWII Garands bring really high dollars.

I'll look. I just got a low pressure gas plug highly recommended on the CMP forum, so I'll be taking it apart soon anyway.
What style op rod does it have? What style rear sights? I am curious because of the year, if its a CMP rebuild, the rear sights and op rod will be the newer style.

Steve
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

SteveR wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:

What style op rod does it have? What style rear sights? I am curious because of the year, if its a CMP rebuild, the rear sights and op rod will be the newer style.

Steve
Good question. No clue. I'll take pics this week.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!