My war story with my scope on my Marlin 1895 338 Marlin Ex.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

My war story with my scope on my Marlin 1895 338 Marlin Ex.

Post by daisygordoninc »

Well I finally did it, came home with a cut on the bridge of my nose. Got too intense at the shooting range and got my eye and nose too close to the scope, and hit the bridge of my nose pretty hard leaving a big bump and a cut that bled considerably. My shooting partner, thought it was pretty entertaining, I watched him bleed from the forehead last fall after shooting at a moose in BC.
My wife felt sorry for me and of course I have a wound to talk about for a while.
There must be some others around here who have similar stories. I thought at my age this probably would not happen since I have been shooting for so many years, maybe getting old?
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My war story with my scope on my Marlin 1895 338 Marlin

Post by TedH »

I've been "kissed" a few times over the years, but the only one that drew blood was my 470 Nitro Express. I learned real quick from that one. :oops:
NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

TedH wrote:I've been "kissed" a few times over the years, but the only one that drew blood was my 470 Nitro Express. I learned real quick from that one. :oops:
That time rabbit hunting? :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

In 1967, after scoping my 1st Marlin .444 with a set of the then new Weaver Pivot Mounts, I swung the scope off to the left (I'm a RH shooter) to zero the iron sights.

Young, green, and not realizing that in the shooting position, the LH side of my face was more towards the muzzle than my sighting eye - at the 1st shot, the scope kissed my LH temple, about like yours.

I immediately ditched those pivot mounts, and decided that, if I ever wanted to use the iron sights alone, that I'd rather remove the scope from the rifle.

My childhood friend always told me: "One of these days, you're gonna shoot yer eye out" . ;)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it...................

spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

daisygordoninc wrote:Well I finally did it, came home with a cut on the bridge of my nose. Got too intense at the shooting range and got my eye and nose too close to the scope, and hit the bridge of my nose pretty hard leaving a big bump and a cut that bled considerably. My shooting partner, thought it was pretty entertaining, I watched him bleed from the forehead last fall after shooting at a moose in BC.
My wife felt sorry for me and of course I have a wound to talk about for a while.
There must be some others around here who have similar stories. I thought at my age this probably would not happen since I have been shooting for so many years, maybe getting old?

I don't 'spose you gave him any grief for his faux pas :?: :lol:

spaceman
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

daisygordoninc wrote:Well I finally did it, came home with a cut on the bridge of my nose. Got too intense at the shooting range and got my eye and nose too close to the scope, and hit the bridge of my nose pretty hard leaving a big bump and a cut that bled considerably. My shooting partner, thought it was pretty entertaining, I watched him bleed from the forehead last fall after shooting at a moose in BC.
I'm glad none of you fellows was hurt too badly.
I have 2 words for you to consider:
SCOUT MOUNT.
Put one on my 45/70 Guide Gun and LOVE it.
The only way THAT EER scope is ever gonna bite someone will be when the bbl separates from the receiver..!!!
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Uphill shot with a Ithaca 37 slug gun. Still have a 1/2 scar but it blends with the wrinkles now. That one of the few advantage's of getting old :wink:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Introducing a drug rep and his wife to shooting, due to their wanting to get their first firearm for home protection.

I start with my suppressed lever action Ruger 96/22 in 22 LR, with a red-dot scope, from a rest - they can't miss, it doesn't startle them, and it's a non-intimidating levergun that makes no noise and has no recoil.

They are having so much fun and success by then that I introduce 'noise' into the equation.

Then I go to a non-suppressed bolt action Ruger 77/22 in 22 LR, with aperture sights, then a 10/22 with a 4x optic. After that, we shoot a Ruger Single-Six, then a Charter Arms Pathfinder, then a Ruger Mk-II, all in 22 LR.

Then they are having so much fun, and are used to 'noise', that recoil can be introduced.

So we fire a 16" Rossi in 357 Mag using 38 Special 'target' loads, a Taurus Tracker 357 with the same loads, then a 9mm Taurus PT-92.

That is usually enough for them the first day, but these guys were really into it, so we took a break then shot some 'biggies'.

An AR-15 first (more noise, still little recoil).
Then a Garand (more noise, more recoil).
Then a Super Blackhawk (200 grain 44 Special loads, then 180 grain factory 44 Mag loads).
Then my Marlin 444 levergun for some serious POWER (at a 1 gallon paint can filled with water and lid back on)............

Problem was - they had gotten used to scopes, but just on the 10/22 and AR-15.............

Thankfully, the guy wanted to shoot first (it's one thing to give a big guy a scar over the eyebrow, but I'd hate to do it to a lady). He got a nice semicircular cut that bled spectacularly.......... :o

SO, the next week the drug rep stops by our office to show off his "scope-eye" and tell everyone how I sewed it up.......... :oops:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

guido4198 wrote:
I'm glad none of you fellows was hurt too badly.
I have 2 words for you to consider:
SCOUT MOUNT.
Put one on my 45/70 Guide Gun and LOVE it.
The only way THAT EER scope is ever gonna bite someone will be when the bbl separates from the receiver..!!!

This.....Don't have a lever 45-70 anymore, but that Ruger Scout has the Leupold scout scope w/quick release....Although, I can shoot the stock ghost ring about as good as the scope.....
A quality 2x fixed, normally mounted scope should have plenty of relief, as well....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV