Range report Ruger Super BlackHawk .454

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Range report Ruger Super BlackHawk .454

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I finally got to shoot the beast. The sights were right on out of the box and I did not have to touch them. The 300 gr. XTP`s shot right to the top of the front sight at 45' and the Lyman 325 gr. cast running a little slower printed about 1 1/2" higher as expected.
Both loads are some I found to work good in my Super RedHawk 5' and 7 1/2" revolvers.
I will be tinkering with those loads more for all three guns.

It was raining hard while I shot this group.

Recoil is very brisk but not more than most could handle. I shot about 30 shots out of it yesterday and that is just about enough for one day from these big boys.
All shooting was two handed and rested.
I did set the target out to 50yd and shot 5. The group was about 5" higher than at 45' and four out of five went into about 4". Looking forward to more load testing and shooting of this hand canon.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Range report Ruger Super BlackHawk .454

Post by Old Savage »

Nice work, beautiful gun.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

That's quite the beast. 8)

Do you have an idea of the fps on the 300s? 325s?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Blaine, I have not chronographed them but The books say 1345 fps for the 300 gr. XTP and around 1150 fps for the 325 gr. cast bullet.
The .454 is said to be capable of pushing a 300 gr. bullet to 1700 fps. That is NOT going to happen with me shooting one. Call me a girly boy if you like but that is toooo much punishment for me.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

Good shooting, I have shot my Ruger 454 and have never had results that good.
Congratulations
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Chuck, have you hunted with that 325 load?

it is about what my 44 mag hunting load was. It's a hammer on deer, literally one of my favorite hunting loads. It will penetrate thru from any direction and grind bone if the alloy is right. Good for head shots and heart shots.

fine looking gun and good shooting too :)
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:Blaine, I have not chronographed them but The books say 1345 fps for the 300 gr. XTP and around 1150 fps for the 325 gr. cast bullet.
The .454 is said to be capable of pushing a 300 gr. bullet to 1700 fps. That is NOT going to happen with me shooting one. Call me a girly boy if you like but that is toooo much punishment for me.
Nope, Nope, Nope..I agree....When I load .44 mag for my 629PP, they push a 300 hardcast about 1000...more than enough, and a cloverleaf hole at 25 yards w/burris red dot....Nothing more needed....at least around here.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Good shootin, and a good lookin gun
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Grizz, I have not killed a Deer with that load but it is way over powered for any Deer around here. All you need for these Pacific Blacktails is a factory level 158 gr. load in the .357.
These local Deer rarely weigh over 100 lb. on the hoof. I have no need for the .454 ( I have three of them) but just enjoy owning and shooting Ruger six guns , (five ,seven,eight and ten shooters accepted) (Ruger don't make a nine shooter revolver). :lol:
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:Grizz, I have not killed a Deer with that load but it is way over powered for any Deer around here. All you need for these Pacific Blacktails is a factory level 158 gr. load in the .357.
These local Deer rarely weigh over 100 lb. on the hoof. I have no need for the .454 ( I have three of them) but just enjoy owning and shooting Ruger six guns , (five ,seven,eight and ten shooters accepted) (Ruger don't make a nine shooter revolver). :lol:
Nice shooting!
Chuck you need to save your money because Ruger does make the single nine in 22 mag.
Don't thank me for pointing that out. I am just here to help. :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Chuck, enjoy the new sixgun. I wouldn't... that's just too much punishment. I'd need muffs over my plugs! My 45 Colts are about the most I wanna try hangin' onto!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

BenT wrote:
Chuck 100 yd wrote:Grizz, I have not killed a Deer with that load but it is way over powered for any Deer around here. All you need for these Pacific Blacktails is a factory level 158 gr. load in the .357.
Nice shooting!
Chuck you need to save your money because Ruger does make the single nine in 22 mag.
Don't thank me for pointing that out. I am just here to help. :D
Oh my! How did I miss that! :shock:
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Nice rabbit gun :wink:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Richardx
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Richardx »

Yeah that's the ticket Nath, for huge rabbits in Old Blighty. :lol:

When I load .45 Colt with 9grs. of Unique in a revolver that is as much punishment I can take!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That's a fine looking revolver. Looks like a good shooter too. :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:... The .454 is said to be capable of pushing a 300 gr. bullet to 1700 fps.
I just had a vision of that firearm bouncing off of my forehead...

:shock:
:lol: :lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Ruger sure does make a fine looking firearm!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

FWiedner wrote:
Chuck 100 yd wrote:... The .454 is said to be capable of pushing a 300 gr. bullet to 1700 fps.

Dick Casual had it figured out decades ago.. He told me that after 50 rounds or so of the Real Stuff, most .454 shooters would gravitate to .45 Colt equivalent loads, while still being able to boast about owning .454 Casull... He figured the majority of shooters would not be willing to put in either the time or effort required to master the gun and ammo, as they were designed to be used.. Time has surely proved him right..

My favorite working loads for my 83 were either a 315 grain cast g.c. or a 325 grain cast g.c. at the above-mentioned 1700 fps, from a 7 1/2" barrel.. The same loads gave me 2100 fps out of my 24" rifle barrel.

Thinning and reshaping the grips on the 83 made it more comfortable and controllable for me, by eliminating some of the tendency to twist in my hand.. I fired tens of thousands of rounds through that gun, and never got hurt in the process..

The Ruger Bisley grip is similar, but not identical to the FA grip shape.. I prefer the 83 grip, because it allows the gun to eventually turn upward, whereas the Bisley grip tends to retard that motion a bit too long, compressing the mechanics of the wrist under heavy recoil..

Just my Nickel's worth... (adjusted for inflation...)
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Buck Elliott wrote:
FWiedner wrote:
Dick Casual had it figured out decades ago.. He told me that after 50 rounds or so of the Real Stuff, most .454 shooters would gravitate to .45 Colt equivalent loads, while still being able to boast about owning .454 Casull... He figured the majority of shooters would not be willing to put in either the time or effort required to master the gun and ammo, as they were designed to be used.. Time has surely proved him right..

My favorite working loads for my 83 were either a 315 grain cast g.c. or a 325 grain cast g.c. at the above-mentioned 1700 fps, from a 7 1/2" barrel.. The same loads gave me 2100 fps out of my 24" rifle barrel.

Thinning and reshaping the grips on the 83 made it more comfortable and controllable for me, by eliminating some of the tendency to twist in my hand.. I fired tens of thousands of rounds through that gun, and never got hurt in the process..

The Ruger Bisley grip is similar, but not identical to the FA grip shape.. I prefer the 83 grip, because it allows the gun to eventually turn upward, whereas the Bisley grip tends to retard that motion a bit too long, compressing the mechanics of the wrist under heavy recoil..

Just my Nickel's worth... (adjusted for inflation...)
Sounds like a Buck's worth of wisdom to me! :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Buck , you and Dick are right on concerning the loads most people end up shooting in the .454 .
I have never been one to push a gun to it's capable max. I have always preferred to go to a bigger gun and shoot midrange loads in it. The 300 gr. XTP over 29 gr. IMR 4227 is a middle of the book range load (according to Hornady) for that powder. One can ,of course, increase velocity by using slower powder like H110 if that is wanted.

Since I don't hunt since my hunting partner passed a year and a half back, I just shoot for fun and enjoy the guns. Both the loads above are plenty wild for my 69 year old bones to handle and they have no problem totally penetrating the paper target,the cardboard backing and the 1/2" OSB target frame. :wink: Now if I were treading into big Bear country things would be different.

I vote we rename the .45 Colt the .45 Special, it is ,after all, just a shortened .454 . :lol:
DiamondD
Levergunner

Post by DiamondD »

The .45 Colt is very Special to me. I like it plenty and out of a Ruger Redhawk it might as well be a .454. I was thinking of getting one of the .454 Blackhawks but I believe I'll get a .480 Ruger instead.
Snoopin & Shootin,

Dean
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
Been shooting the 45 Colt in Blackhawks for years like everyone else. Nice revolvers !
But last time up north decided to move up to a bigger caliber. Wanted a 500 Linebaugh but a 475 Linebaugh came up available in a BFR. No regrets ! I would still be waiting for the 500 but the 475 LB is one fine thumper. Generally my loads are in the 480 Ruger range which in all honesty is more than enough to take any critter that would ever be found in east ILLinois river bottoms. The 320-335 weights at 1000 fps will go through any corn cruncher. Pop some 400 grainers at 950 fps and I think any black bear out there will get hurt real bad.
Knowing this I could recommend a 480 Ruger to anyone looking for a healthy "stomper" round for the hunting 95% of us actually do. The big advantage with the 475 Linebaugh is the ease at loading bigger cast bullets with the slower powders. But that really is not gonna slow down any reloader from having top notch 480 Ruger ammo.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Griff wrote:Chuck, enjoy the new sixgun. I wouldn't... that's just too much punishment. I'd need muffs over my plugs! My 45 Colts are about the most I wanna try hangin' onto!

Several years ago my wife wanted to get me a .454 for Christmas. She had been reading a book where the main character was using one and thought it would be a great idea. I talked her into a .44 mag instead. She got me a 4" Redhawk. Much more usable IMHO.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Rusty, the .44 magnum is one of my favorite calibers. I have over a dozen of them with barrels from
3 1/2" to 24" . Good shooters all! :D I never feel under gunned when I have one handy. :wink:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Rusty wrote:
Griff wrote:Chuck, enjoy the new sixgun. I wouldn't... that's just too much punishment. I'd need muffs over my plugs! My 45 Colts are about the most I wanna try hangin' onto!

Several years ago my wife wanted to get me a .454 for Christmas. She had been reading a book where the main character was using one and thought it would be a great idea. I talked her into a .44 mag instead. She got me a 4" Redhawk. Much more usable IMHO.
If a 240-265 grain JSP won't kill "it" then you should have got a 375 Ruger Alaskan or bigger gun.... :mrgreen:

Really, we're thinking about a DEER or other FOOD to harvest.............totally different if we're "target shooting" or "plinking" or preparing for the EndOfTimes....

Seriously, there are several reasons for different guns/cartridges.....
  • a) "target" - fun and games
    b) social/survival/policital - the REAL reason we own guns...
    c) "sporting use" - fun and games as well....
The REAL reason to own firearm sis # 2
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "