OT - Anybody shoot a Walker?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Anybody shoot a Walker?

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Here's mine:

It's a Uberti. She'll take up to 60 grains of fffg which makes quite a rukus. But I get the best accuracy with 50 or less though.

Typically use Hornady .454" round balls with wonderwads over Pyrodex P.

I did the latch surgery on it to keep the loading lever in place when shooting the healthier loads.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Pretty sweet. I like the look of them grips. :D
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

60 grains of FFFg! That is one powerful sixgun. I had no idea there were percussion sixguns that spoke with that kind of authority.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

IIRC the Walker held the most powerfull handgun record ( for production handgun) until the .44mag. came along. :wink:
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

I've never gone over 40 grains of FFg in mine...the one on the top. Look closely and you'll notice it is original though.

The bottom two are replica's and not even of a Walker
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:IIRC the Walker held the most powerfull handgun record ( for production handgun) until the .44mag. came along. :wink:
We probably heard that from the same source! :D In terms of muzzle energy, I don't think even the .357 Magnum beat it.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Yup,the Walker is the king of power in historical cap n' ball revolvers.Old Time Hunter & O.S.O.K. nice wheelguns. 8)
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The Walker was designed to fit what the Texas Rangers under Jack Hayes wanted in a gun to be carried in holsters on the saddle. It reputedly had a few early production problems which resulted in missing fingers and even a hand or two. The Texas Rangers had detailed a well known and highly acclaimed Ranger named Walker to go to the Colt's factory and explain what they wanted. At the time most black powder rifles did not use more than 60 to 70 grains of black powder, and the pistols ability to use the same charge as the rifle allowed for using one pre set powder measure for both firearms. This was a big help when you had to carry everything you needed to survive on the frontier for long periods in your saddle bags and blanket roll. Due to problems with some of the heat treatment or something, some of the pistols would blow up in the early batches. The Rangers learned to stick the pistol in a hole in a log, kind of an early Ransom Rest, and fire it with a long string while behind cover. If the pistol survived about 3 cylinders full of 60 grain loadings it was considered perfectly safe for use.

I learned this at the Texas Ranger museum in Waco, TX. If any of you on this forum get to the Dallas area and would like to go see the museum, I'll take you.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

After handling a replica Walker (I don't carry enough insurance to be allowed to touch a real one), I've decided that Rangers were on average about seven feet tall and could knock the average person over with a decent spit.

The Walker reminds us that the BFR had a previous incarnation.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Coloradoyaler
Levergunner

Post by Coloradoyaler »

O.S.O.K.

What is the latch surgery? I would like to do it to my Walker!

Thanks
Mark
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Well thanks for the comments

Post by O.S.O.K. »

and compliments! :) This is a very fun pistol to shoot.

Chuck - I think it was the .357 Mag that took the tittle away from the Walker. The .357 can gin up over 600 foot pounds to the Walker's 400+. The 44 Mag goes the next step to 1000. And now we have the 500 Smith & Wesson Mag :shock: which I think goes over 2,000 foot pounds.

Old Timer - nice collection! I think that's a Colt Dragoon (first model) that you've got there. There's a loading lever catch under the barrel at the end and the barrel is shorter - plus the cylinder is a little shorter - they hold 50 grains of powder though - still impressive. This was the "improved" Walker - about 1/2 pound lighter than the Walker but still 4 pounds! I've got a 3rd model Uberti with rounded trigger guard. The new Colt's like yours are very collectible and fetch more money. If I'm not mistaken the next one down is a Colt 1851 36 Cal and the one in front is a 44 Cal Remington 58 (Piettas?).

Coloradoyaler, the latch surgery is nothing more than removing a bit of material to increase the depth of the notch on the end of the latch. The stock latch's catch is a bit too shallow and doesn't hold firm enough for heavier loads. Deepening the catch makes it hold a bit tighter. Its a fine line though and you need to trim, test, trim, test... and not remove too much material so that it becomes too week.
Last edited by O.S.O.K. on Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT - Anybody shoot a Walker?

Post by don Tomás »

O.S.O.K. wrote:...She'll take up to 60 grains of fffg which makes quite a rukus. But I get the best accuracy with 50 or less though.
:shock: I use 55gn in my Trapdoor Carbine rounds. Even 50gn in a pistol must be a teeth rattler! :)
Tom
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

teeth rattlin

Post by O.S.O.K. »

They don't kick as much as you'de think. I think a lot of the powder is just blown out the barrel or something. You don't really get that much more velocity from 50 to 60 grains either. But it shore makes a fuss and a lot of smoke! :lol:

Here is a youtube video that I made of shooting my Dragoon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVXkCGZmZes

tried to imbed the video but it won't let me... hope you like it.

ETA - here's another one I did using my little 1860 44 snub nose:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMER5uBhRGU
Last edited by O.S.O.K. on Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

A guy was shooting one at the pistol section of our outdoor range one day and I was several positions down from him. After 3 rounds, I couldn't see any of my targets. Had to let him finish and wait a few minutes for a breeze to come by and clear the range. Neat to see it cut loose of all that black powder though.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I have an old Armi San Marco version, and love it. 60 grains is loading it up, that's for sure! :D