Shotgun Shooting: Problems with Eye Dominance?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Shotgun Shooting: Problems with Eye Dominance?

Post by Old No7 »

Hi all:

Below is a posting that I just made in response to a poster over on a shotgun forum. The "new dots" that I am using on my left lens (am right-handed) have helped my shotgun shooting SO MUCH that I wanted to repeat the info here to benefit this gang!

We ALL have lever-action shotguns -- don't we?!?!? :wink:

Old No7

c.j. wrote:"I have done a lot of research on this and wanted to get some feedback from some guys on here. I am left eye dominant but shoot right handed...

...I don't really want to walk around with tape on my glasses all of the time."
You might want to try these inexpensive colored dots, as they are working really well for me -- at less than a penny each -- and I shot 2 rounds of trap and 6 rounds of sporting clays on 4 different days, all using the same red dot! (I would just unpeel it and move it to another set of glasses that's in my shooting bag.) The red looks vermillion when on my glasses, and it "unfocuses" my left eye "just enough" so that it cannot take over and dominate the right eye.
See-through dots (Small).jpg
I don't have true cross-dominance, but my shotgun instructor (just last month, and it was my first formal shotgun lesson in 45+ years!) said my left eye was "almost as strong" as the right, which was an issue especially on targets starting low and fast from the left.

These see-through dots have really helped me -- and my scores were up by 15% to 20% on those recent shoots I mentioned above. And I had more confidence and more fun!!!

You can buy them for very little money Here On Amazon or look for them at Staples or other office supply stores.

Be sure to get the "see-through removable" ones! (Not the solid colored dots...)

Unlike a piece of black electrical tape, as the dot is put near top of my lens positioned so it blocks my left eye only when I mount the shotgun, the dots are not a problem to wear while walking around the range. In fact, we walked quite a ways on that sporting clays course, up and down some woods trails too, and the dot on my lens didn't interfere with my normal vision when looking straight out my lenses.

Try them... For little $$$ you have little to lose and MUCH TO GAIN!!!

Good luck![/color]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Shotgun Shooting: Problems with Eye Dominance?

Post by Marvin S »

I have that problem. May have to try it.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have used a similar method when teaching new shooters with left eye dominance, usually females, it really does work.
Thanks Darryl, I'll try those colored dots next time.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

Morgan Optical has sold the same thing for years to shooters and call them "Magic Dots"; but I bet what you found is a lot cheaper. Thanks for the post. Morgan Optical's website. http://www.morganoptical.net/magic_dot

Bob in Friday Harbor, WA
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I use nose grease.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com