33 WCF options

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dtrice
Levergunner

33 WCF options

Post by dtrice »

Hi, I've recently become interested in the 33 wcf cartridge. It seems to have fallen by the wayside a long time ago, but looking at it's ballistics I believe it is still quite adequate. There are cast bullet makers still making bullets for it, but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of rifles chambered. Besides finding a vintage 1886 or even an old Marlin 1895 in it, what would be the options? Is it possible to rebarrel a Miroku made 1886, or is there a thread issue with the barrels and receivers? Sometimes old 1886 actions are for sale, so I suppose building a rifle around one of those is an option.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 33 WCF options

Post by BenT »

I don't know why the repro manufacturers don't make this caliber in the 1886. The 33 WCF was the most chambered round in the 1886 . You can find used 1886's but the prices have gone crazy over the last few years. I gave up on finding a 33WCF in an 86, too much for me. I did find a 1895 in 35 Win for very reasonable price, which I really enjoy. The 35 Win is loaded to a higher pressure than 33WCF and has more energy.

The 33WCF AOL is too long for the newer Marlins. Mikoru barrrels are metric threads.

Outside of leverguns not sure if the cartridge AOL is to long for a Enfield. A friend of mine has a Enfield in 45-70. A rolling block or High wall would be an option.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

You could re-barrel a marlin 45-70, Snooky Williams 33 WCF reloads he pushed a 200 grain to 2400 fps but in a 86 win. Buffalo Arms carrys a 200 gr FP jacketed bullet, Hdy's and cast , Hawk bullets makes a jacketed FP in 338 cal and Beartooth bullets makes a HCGC in 235&250 grs. danny
http://beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm
http://www.buffaloarms.com/330_411_diam ... -4142.aspx
http://hawkbullets.com/Pricelist.htm
bgmkithaca
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bgmkithaca »

The .33 win. can be done in a marlin 1895 but you have to turn a new cannalure on your bullets down to a oal that will cycle through the action and the rear of the carrier has to be cut back-you may have to shorten the neck 20 thousandths as well.
Even with deeper seated bullets and shorter necks taking up some powder capacity it still gives good ballistics.Cast bullets are some easier to use as they are shorter than jacketed bullets of the same weight. I was told it can't be done but tried it anyway to see for myself.If you try it there are no short cuts but it will work.