OT - Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Winjester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Winjester »

I set out looking for a sidearm that would use the same ammo as my Win. 92 in 32-20. I couldn't afford a Colt, so I was looking for a Uberti/Cimarron in that caliber with a 7.5" barrel.
Meanwhile, I was at a garage sale, and as always I asked the old feller if he had any firearms for sale. He brought out this Ruger Old Army w/ holster and everything except the powder. He said $100. for all, which I jumped on. I liked the way it looked and felt in my hand.
I started looking seriously at the Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine. I fell in love with it, and I bought one NIB. I have yet to take it to the range, but from what I hear, it is quite accurate and makes a very good large varmint gun. It is said to be very loud and throws a pretty good flame. I'm enclosing a couple of pics of these firearms.
Winjester
[/img]Image
Image[/img]
God Bless America!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

That is one heck of a price on a ROA! Good for you!!!!!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

STOLEN! You STOLE that ROA!

Now go get a Kirst Kartridge Konverter for it and you will have a double-duty gun.

THe ROA really shines when you push .45 Colt Cowboy loads through it.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Bee Ay Yoo Tee Full!

I love those Ruger Blackhawks...

I bet it shoots great, and we expect a range report, as usual.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Not to rain on yer parade but I had a .30 Carbine back in the mid 70's. I bought it because I had someone give me a huge amount of G.I. surplus .30 Carbine ammo. The problem was only about 1 out of 5 rounds would chamber. It was a flame thrower when it did go off, but it had issues.

I wasn't as happy when I sold it as I was when I bought it.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
mudgunner49
Levergunner

Post by mudgunner49 »

I have a 3-Screw .30 Carbine Blackhawk and LOVE it!!! I shoot cast lead RNFP at about 1000 fps for a plinking load and can get the Sierra 125 JHP for the .30-30 out at almost 1600 fps for a real flat-shooting blaster...

blake
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: OT - Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine

Post by AJMD429 »

Winjester wrote:
I started looking seriously at the Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine. I fell in love with it, and I bought one NIB. I have yet to take it to the range, but from what I hear, it is quite accurate and makes a very good large varmint gun. It is said to be very loud and throws a pretty good flame. I'm enclosing a couple of pics of these firearms.
Winjester
A friend had one and I think it was the STRONGEST gun I ever saw; 5-shot 44 Mags with that size cylinder will function, and their .357's have a great reputation for strength; the 30 carbine holes are that much smaller and there is that much more steel. Case in point, while loading with a Pacific or Lyman (I forget which) hand-tool reloader at our shooting site, he accidentally used what would amount to a .30-06 powder charge in the gun. No real difference except he said a bit more recoil, and when opened, the brass case head had opened up and looked like it would just about accept a 209 shotshell primer.

If I had a 30 carbine rifle, I'd want one of the Blackhawks to go with it!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Winjester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Winjester »

I either have to find me a Marlin 62 in .30 carbine, or find a way to convert this M1 Carbine to a levergun! BTW Old ironsights, your suggestion about using a Kirst Kartridge Converter on my ROA is much appreciated. I will be ordering one of them as soon as my wife's arm gets tired of swinging that frying pan at my head for buying the Blackhawk! :lol: :lol: :lol:
God Bless America!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

winjester -

I know you have to be feeling awful about STEALING that ROA off that kind old gentleman for $100. To make you feel better, I'll buy it off you for $120. I know, I know - it's awfully nice of me. It's just the kind of guy I am! :wink:

I have an old model Ruger Black Hawk in .30 carbine. Low 1100's SN. It has a Bushnell 2.5 "Magnum Phantom" handgun scope on it (only handgun I own with a scope), and it is much more accurate than I'll ever be!!!

Congrats!!! 8)
Winjester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Winjester »

[quote="Ysabel Kid"]winjester -

I know you have to be feeling awful about STEALING that ROA off that kind old gentleman for $100. To make you feel better, I'll buy it off you for $120. I know, I know - it's awfully nice of me. It's just the kind of guy I am! :wink:

Thanks for your kind and generous offer, but I can't take advantage of you that way! :oops: :oops:
Winjester
God Bless America!
Tumbleweeds
Levergunner 1.0

.32-20 Blackhawk

Post by Tumbleweeds »

I guess you know you can rechamber that .30 BH to .32-20 and shoot cowpincher ammo in it. The lead bullets swage right down and it shoots great.

Now you can tell your wife how much money you saved! :roll:
OK, OK, I made the jump.
Winjester
Levergunner 1.0

Re: .32-20 Blackhawk

Post by Winjester »

Tumbleweeds wrote:I guess you know you can rechamber that .30 BH to .32-20 and shoot cowpincher ammo in it. The lead bullets swage right down and it shoots great.

Thanks for the info, but I think I'll still get a 32-20 Uberti like I originally planned. My Win 92 is still longing for a little partner. I want to leave the BH in .30 Carbine, as they aren't that easy to get, and my M1 carbine is happy!
Winjester
God Bless America!
Tumbleweeds
Levergunner 1.0

Those Uberti's are nice for sure.

Post by Tumbleweeds »

I have a Sheriff's model in .45 LC that makes a heck of a nice little pistol.
OK, OK, I made the jump.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Winjester wrote:
Tumbleweeds wrote:I guess you know you can rechamber that .30 BH to .32-20 and shoot cowpincher ammo in it. The lead bullets swage right down and it shoots great.

Thanks for the info, but I think I'll still get a 32-20 Uberti like I originally planned. My Win 92 is still longing for a little partner. I want to leave the BH in .30 Carbine, as they aren't that easy to get, and my M1 carbine is happy!
Winjester

Easy. Send the gun sans cylinder back to Ruger to be fitted with a new 30 Carbine cylinder. Then send one of the cylinders to be rechambered to 32-20. :-) Then send the gun back to Ruger to be fitted for another new 30 carbine cylinder and send IT out to be rechambered to 32 H&R. Three cylinders, one gun, plenty of ammo choices for whatever you'd so desire. :-)
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wayne Miller »

Interesting little (?) revolvers! Flat shooting, low recoil and, generally very accurate. They are also one of the greatest tools known to man for cleaning the wax out of your ears! :shock: About the only handgun I ever fired that was louder was a .38 Super shooting 90gr bullets at unprintable velocities. (Anyone remember George Nonte?) THAT load would make dirt rain down on you from the rafters! Great way to get a range to yourself! Oh, and if you want to have a lot of fun and get LOTS of attention, take that .30 to your local INDOOR range and touch off a few rounds. In no time, you will have guys coming up to you and asking you, "What the heck IS that thing?!?!"
Wayne Miller
(Known as "Mossyrock" elsewhere)

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie
Winjester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Winjester »

Scott64A wrote:Bee Ay Yoo Tee Full!

I took the Blackhawk to an indoor range yesterday. I took my ROA also, but they discontinued shooting BP at this particular range. They said it clogs up their air filters. :?: :?:
I really loved shooting the .30 carbine Blachawk. It was loud and threw a flame, but it was very smooth shooting. I was shooting Lake City ammo that supposedly was from 1952. I had no misfires, but the rounds wouldn't eject. I took off the cylinder and punched them out. It looked like the rounds had expanded just forward of the base after firing. The rangemaster suggested that I lube each chamber with Break-free and try that. I could eject all rounds but one after that.
I bought a box of 110 gr. Sellier & Bellot .30 Carbine to see if the old ammo was the problem. It still had one that wouldn't eject.
I think the problem is definitely with the ammo, instead of the firearm, although it could have one tight chamber. Anybody else ever have a problem like this?
Winjester
God Bless America!
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

At a gun show this AM, I saw a gun exactly like yours. Same barrel length and caliber, and I had to QUICKLY retreat before I got in deeper with the wife.
:oops:

I have a BH in 357, and have never had a case stick. Then again, I'm not shooting 50 yr. old ammo, either.
Do you reload for these guns?

I bet they would be cheaper and more consistent, and that would be worth the price of setting up.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Wayne Miller wrote: Oh, and if you want to have a lot of fun and get LOTS of attention, take that .30 to your local INDOOR range and touch off a few rounds. In no time, you will have guys coming up to you and asking you, "What the heck IS that thing?!?!"
It does make folks look! :twisted:

I was wondering what your avatar was! :D
mudgunner49
Levergunner

Post by mudgunner49 »

Winjester wrote:
Scott64A wrote:Bee Ay Yoo Tee Full!

I took the Blackhawk to an indoor range yesterday. I took my ROA also, but they discontinued shooting BP at this particular range. They said it clogs up their air filters. :?: :?:
I really loved shooting the .30 carbine Blachawk. It was loud and threw a flame, but it was very smooth shooting. I was shooting Lake City ammo that supposedly was from 1952. I had no misfires, but the rounds wouldn't eject. I took off the cylinder and punched them out. It looked like the rounds had expanded just forward of the base after firing. The rangemaster suggested that I lube each chamber with Break-free and try that. I could eject all rounds but one after that.
I bought a box of 110 gr. Sellier & Bellot .30 Carbine to see if the old ammo was the problem. It still had one that wouldn't eject.
I think the problem is definitely with the ammo, instead of the firearm, although it could have one tight chamber. Anybody else ever have a problem like this?
Winjester
I do get hard extraction with mine also, but only with military ammo, not with commercial or handloads... :?

blake
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

This one is a tack-driver!!!

Last edited by Ysabel Kid on Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winjester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Winjester »

Ysabel Kid wrote:This one is a tack-driver!!!

That's a nice looking revolver, YK. Mine's a tack driver too, but I have to use the butt-end of it to drive tacks until I get it sighted in. :lol: :lol:
Winjester
God Bless America!
Winjester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Winjester »

I tried polishing the chambers today with a method that seemed to work out pretty well. I purchased a .410 shotgun "wool mop", (it put more pressure on the chamber walls than a .30 caliber mop would have), chucked it into a slow-speed drill, heated and dripped jewelers rouge on the mop, and ran it in and out of the chambers until they looked bright and shiny. I then soaked the same mop with CLP Breakfree and ran that thru each chamber. I cleaned everything up, and it looks like it did the trick. A couple of pics of how it looked while doing it.
Image[/img]
[/img]Image
Winjester
God Bless America!
Texican
Levergunner 2.0

Ever seen one of these?

Post by Texican »

I started with an OM .30 Ruger for NRA Hunter Silhouette years ago. Loved it! Have had several since, each has been spectacularly accurate. Then I found this one at a gun show and every few years I send it out for something else: It had already been cut to 4 5/8" and had the top strap and front sight re-welded to Colt SAA style when I found it. I couldn't pass it up for $250. Unfortunately it had the transfer bar already swapped out. Shortly after I found a pawn shop .30 Blackhawk for $200 with original lockwork but ugly as sin (holes drilled crooked in topstrap for a scope mount, surface rust, cracked grips, etc. I sent both to Bob Munden had the action parts swapped and an action job done on the short one and a Colt base pin installed. Then I had Alan Harton of Single Action Service recontour the face of the cylinder to the 'blackpowder chamfer' style, install a steel grip frame from an Old Army. I also replaced the ejector rod housing with a steel one. I sold the ugly .30 for $250. Right now the receiver is still in the white - waiting for the 'someday' I send to Turnbull for case hardening...and then the Tru-Ivory grips will come... then the custom leather....

Yeah, I know - it's not practical, it's not something I'll ever get my money out of, but Dang it's fun! Especially when some knucklehead tries to impress me with his magnum at a public range by standing next to me when every other lane is open. I'll casually bring this out, load it, politely ask, "Do you mind?" Afterwhich the concussion under a tin roof is enough to mess up his hair. Those guys usually find a reason to shoot in another lane. You should see it at night, too.
Texican

Gentlemanly Rogue, Projectilist of Distinction, and Son of Old Republic

Winjester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Winjester »

Texican,
That is one nice revolver you've got there. When you get the CH and ivory grips, you'll have a real treasure.
You say you'll never get your money back out of it. That's why people call it a "labor of love". The satisfaction you receive knowing that it's a unique, probably one of a kind piece is payment enough, IMO.
Please post pics when you have it finished the way you want. I'm jealous! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Winjester
BTW, I was seriously thinking about getting a Kirst Kartridge Converter for my Ruger Old Army, until I fell in love with the Uberti 1858 Remington cartridge conversion model in .45LC. It's part # CA1000 at Buffalo Arms. I wanted it in 44-40 to go with my 1860 Henry, but apparently Uberti is balking at making it in that caliber . Anybody have any experience with the 1858 Remmie in 45LC?
God Bless America!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Had to fix the link on my photo - sorry for the dreaded "red x"!

Texican
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Texican »

AmBraCol wrote:Easy. Send the gun sans cylinder back to Ruger to be fitted with a new 30 Carbine cylinder. Then send one of the cylinders to be rechambered to 32-20. :-) Then send the gun back to Ruger to be fitted for another new 30 carbine cylinder and send IT out to be rechambered to 32 H&R. Three cylinders, one gun, plenty of ammo choices for whatever you'd so desire. :-)
I like the idea. You could also use these from Brownells:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ ... R%20BLANKS
Texican

Gentlemanly Rogue, Projectilist of Distinction, and Son of Old Republic