Cimarron Model 1873

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Cimarron Model 1873

Post by smokenrust »

Hello fellows, looking for some info on a Cimarron model 1873 45Colt long range 30" rifle, SN 534xx, CAT.5990 .
I sent a message to Cimarron and they replied back: "Not possible to accurately date this gun. It is back in the old paper records days (1980s). We moved to Fredericksburg in the 90s.
As far as ammo goes, our lawyers say I cannot advise you as to hand loading data. The rifle was proof tested for standard pressure factory loads only. No +Ps, +P+s, buffalo bore, etc.
"
So I shall ask if there is anyone here that has better info than the company has... on the date of the serial number and on How hot of handloads this rifle could safely withstand... without lawyer jargon involved.
Here are couple pics of it. Thanks, Smokenrust
cim 1873a 45colt.JPG
Cim 1873 45colt.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Cimarron Model 1873

Post by J Miller »

Smokenrust,

There is a date code on the receiver or barrel or both somewhere. It will be a small square with two letters in it.

I have the date chart printed, but lost the link to it.
The symbol for the 80s are:
1980 = AF
1981 = AH
1982 = AI
1983 = AL
1984 = AM
1985 = AN
1986 = AP
1987 = AS
1988 = AT
1989 = AU

As for the ammunition stick with standard Colt level loads in them. There is a lot of loads available and you can really make that long barrel shine with some of the fast rifle powders.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Cimarron Model 1873

Post by Griff »

And for dates newer than those JMiller posted: http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php?topic=121.0
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!