Bad buy on Auction Arms

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Bad buy on Auction Arms

Post by gon2shoot »

I know a lot of guys try to be PC and calm on bad deals. I AIN'T ONE OF THEM,
I bought a 336 in 35rem from HANSEN & HANSEN in Southport, Ct. off Auction Arms site.
I paid the BUY NOW price because it's somthing I've been wanting.
The description was 99.9%++++ (blueing),EXCELLENT, MINT!!"

Well,I picked up the gun, the blue is scraped above the barrel band on both sides, I'm fairly certain the stock has been replaced, I"m sure the bolt is not original. the ejector is missing and I am generally POed.

But it is a straight stock 336 1960 mfg. in 35 rem :roll:
I'll keep it, fix it up right,replace the buggered screws an shoot it, but I danged sure won't buy nuttin else from Hansen & Hansen.

Oh yes, I sent them an e-mail saying there are two schools of thought, either HE IS A LIAR or HE DONT KNOW SQUAT ABOUT GUNS>
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That sucks. I'd be interested in their reply, if they offer one.
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bj94 »

Isn't there a feedback mechanism on AA?

I think I would first write to them and point out in detail the deficiencies that are NOT consistent with a 99.9% rating, and ask for their explanation.

Of course it's up to you whether you want to keep it or not.

Then if you don't get satisfaction from the seller, you could simply post feedback that their description is not accurate.
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

bj did the feedback thing.
When bidding I saw they had a fairly healthy approval rate, but after checking deeper I see this is not uncomon for them, I just did'nt check feedback far enough.
budliteguy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by budliteguy »

Did they have any picture posted of the rifle? If the picture they had on the auction showed a better condition rifle than the one you received would that not be considered wire fraud.
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

budguy, they posted pics, and really the gun don't look bad, but the inference was that it was a very "low milage unit", words like MINT and EXCELLANT refering to condition, do not fit this gun.
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

Brownells doesn't have ejectors anymore, anybody know where I can find one?
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

I bought an 1889 Marlin from Hansen & Hansen that had an 1893 hammer. I told them I could buy the correct hammer for $50.00. They sent me the $50...talk to them.
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

cowboy, I may do that.
Right now I'm too POed. these are supposed to be knowledgeable gun people.
Ray Charles could have seen this gun wasn't mint.
tarkio
Levergunner 1.0

Post by tarkio »

Be aware that your negative feedback might not last on Auction Arms for the seller.

I purchased a small rifle that was "new" and when it arrived the mag had an incredible amount of wear and the rifle was filthy. When I tried to work it out with the seller before posting negative feedback, the seller went to the operator of AA and complained. They were told not to worry, they would remove any negative feedback I placed. Not much incentive then for the seller to come to an agreement. I placed negative feedback and AA removed it shortly thereafter.

After that I just about totally swore off AA. I did find a butt plate for an 1886 and when I tried to ask the seller a question, I found out my account had been shut down.

None too impressed with Auction Arms.

Best of luck with your situation.
----------------------------------
I'd rather die while I'm living
than live while I'm dead.
I'm growing old but not up.
Jimmy Buffett
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

tarkio wrote: They were told not to worry, they would remove any negative feedback I placed. Not much incentive then for the seller to come to an agreement. I placed negative feedback and AA removed it shortly thereafter.
Wow! I can't believe that. I haven't done business with anyone there yet, but now I can be sure that I won't.
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

Recieved an e-mail from the seller asking what he could do to keep me as a customer.
I told him that sending me the parts that were missing off his "mint" gun would be a good start.
No response yet.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Auction Arms

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I've never used this particular site. I use gunbroker exclusively and have been very happy.

This is a bad deal - I would definately contact them and give them the opportunity to make good on this or get a full refund -that's shipping included. I suppose you've got an ffl transfer fee too though...

ETA - oops, see that you did contact em - and they responded. That's a good start - hope it works out for you!

Man, I hate being taken - I've been very lucky and avoid anybody with too many negatives, but then gunbroker does a nice job on making this information available.

No, I don't have stock in gunbroker - they just do a good job for me.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

ALWAYS ASK FOR ADDITIONAL PHOTOS
TAKEN OUTSIDE IN THE SUNLIGHT...OF BOTH SIDES,
TOP AND BOTTOM.....
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I just ordered a Marlin Guide gun in .45-70 in stainless from Galleryofguns.com. I sure hope they are good, and I for sure won't buy anything from Auction Arms.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Just deleted Auction Arms from my bookmarks.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I would insist on a returning the gun for a refund. If it is not as advertised they need to take it back. I have only had one bad experience on the net. It was similar to yours. The gun was advertised as "mint" but it was far from it when I got it.
The seller wasn't happy, called me names, blah, blah, but he refunded my money. He insisted I never buy anything from him again so I got the last laugh on the deal :shock:
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Look for NRA approved type gun resale condition references.

If the do not use the NRA accepted condition, don't give it a second look.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

piller wrote:I just ordered a Marlin Guide gun in .45-70 in stainless from Galleryofguns.com. I sure hope they are good, and I for sure won't buy anything from Auction Arms.
Not to worry. Gallery of Guns is Davidson's website. They are a very reputable distributor and, if I'm not mistaken, everything on that site is brand spankin' new.

All those other sites mentioned are used/auction sites. Caveat emptor, brother.

scott
scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scr83jp »

Years ago my GS answered an ad in Shotgun News from a dealer he was acquainted with but on this occasion it wasn't as described when he rec'd the pre 64 mod 70 it wasn't a pre 64 it was a newer less costly model,he got his money back w/o difficulty after contacting the seller and advising him of his error!
Papa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Papa »

Here you go http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?c ... SKU=43090C

I'm originally from Mustang, OKC, area and got kin in Norman.

Good luck homey :D

Papa
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

Papa, thanks for the link, but I found a bolt, ejector and spring at Numrich this morning.
My house is abouut 30 miles east of Norman.
My RV is parked west of Ft. Worth. :roll:
budliteguy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by budliteguy »

I have found that before you bid, check there feedback, I have bought several C&R guns off of AA and I have not had a problem with any of them. Everyone that I bought from the seller had perfect feedback. Ask questions, Ask for more pictures, if they dont answer back. Then they really dont want to sell their product. I shy away from a used gun being in mint condition, unless I can see it in person or an auction with no picture's present. AA is just a service that brings buyers and sellers together, they do say they have a 3-day non-fired return policy in place if you sell on their site unless the seller list's his gun as/is.
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

OK, understand I'm not trying to slam AA, they simply provide a service.
Second, the gun has not been drug down a gravel road behind a truck.
There was pics posted of the gun, and for the most part it's a good looking gun (I'll try to post some pics when I'm through with it).

The problem is, it was listed as 99.9%plus and mint.
Which its not, and then when I find buggared and missing parts inside also, well what would you do?

Final thought, it's a 1960, straight stock, 336RC in 35REM. I don't find those every day.

If the gun had been described correctly I would still have been interested, but would have gone about things differently.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Even tho I was allowed a 3 day inspection of the rifle I bought and I sent it back the same day I received it .. I recieved a negative feed back from the jerk..I kept my end of the bargain...The sucker had his money by Pay Pal & got the gun back on time..Some of these jerks won't leave you a positive feed back until you leave one for them first!! +1 with RIHMFIRE... If they can't post decent pix I don't look a 2nd time.. Sorry you got burned..hope you get it fixed soon & can get to the fun