Remlin quality seems to be on the rise....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Win94
Levergunner 2.0

Remlin quality seems to be on the rise....

Post by Win94 »

Or maybe i just lucked out? Picked up an 1895 GBL in .45-70 the other day. Fit and finish is decent, sights are straight and it cycles ammo reliably. The barrel date stamp codes it as maunfactured in 2015. Will see how it shoots.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne -
375hh1973
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Remlin quality seems to be on the rise....

Post by 375hh1973 »

I'm thinking you lucked out. Was in a gun shop looking at bolt action 22 mags. They had 3 Remlins. 2 had crooked sights and the third had an action that felt like it had gravel in it and was very difficult to close. Ended up buying a Ruger 77/22 stainless/synthetic in 22 wmr.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

According to a recent gun rag I read, their quality is "as good now as it ever was". Of course I don't believe ANY gun writer or gun magazine that accepts advertising dollars.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Yours looks nice. :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

claybob86 wrote:Yours looks nice. :)
x2
my favorite all around rifle is my Guide Gun --- great stuff when you get one that works well
----- Doug
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

There are more reports of decent quality Remlins popping up on both sides of the border. Still lots of buyer beware posts but it would be nice if the rifle line survives. The Winoku line sells ok it seems at much more money.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Canuck Bob wrote:There are more reports of decent quality Remlins popping up on both sides of the border. Still lots of buyer beware posts but it would be nice if the rifle line survives. The Winoku line sells ok it seems at much more money.
I've been hearing the same sort of reports... :)
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Nice looking 1895 Marlin. Mine I bought in 1977 is one gun that will be with me until I don't need a gun, or anything else anymore, ..if you know what I mean.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I was in a shop in OH a week or so ago and they had an 1895 that was quite nice also...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Win94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Win94 »

Well its very encouraging nonetheless. Remington makes a nice bolt gun so there is no reason why in my mind that they can't make these leverguns to be a dependable and a reliable firearm.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Glad you got a good one. We had a get together at our Ga hunting lease this weekend, one of the guys had just got a new stainless guide gun, couldn't get it on paper at 25 yards and asked me to check it out, sights are canted pretty bad. I got him on paper by drifting the rear sight, but he is pretty disappointed.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

wolfdog wrote:Glad you got a good one. We had a get together at our Ga hunting lease this weekend, one of the guys had just got a new stainless guide gun, couldn't get it on paper at 25 yards and asked me to check it out, sights are canted pretty bad. I got him on paper by drifting the rear sight, but he is pretty disappointed.
For me it wouldn't matter, because I'd just center the front and install a Williams FP rear......however that inattention to detail doesn't inspire confidence....I'd be left wondering what else did they mess up...? Hopefully not headspace, heat-treating, or crack inspection.... :(

I've seen the same 'issues' with bolt guns, single shots, & semiautos lately as well; its just that I don't buy them as often as lever guns.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Win94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Win94 »

AJMD429 wrote:
wolfdog wrote:Glad you got a good one. We had a get together at our Ga hunting lease this weekend, one of the guys had just got a new stainless guide gun, couldn't get it on paper at 25 yards and asked me to check it out, sights are canted pretty bad. I got him on paper by drifting the rear sight, but he is pretty disappointed.
For me it wouldn't matter, because I'd just center the front and install a Williams FP rear......however that inattention to detail doesn't inspire confidence....I'd be left wondering what else did they mess up...? Hopefully not headspace, heat-treating, or crack inspection.... :(

I've seen the same 'issues' with bolt guns, single shots, & semiautos lately as well; its just that I don't buy them as often as lever guns.

I think the old adage of "They don't make them like they used to" applies here. It seems so many things are mass produced without a thought of proper quality control. You have to really know what to look for when shopping for something. Consumers nowadays have to do their due diligence and research what to look for. No different than buying a vehicle, ATV etc... I have passed on things because i new the quailty wasn't there or because it seemed the manufacturer cut corners. I went home with a single shot H&R rifle in .243 once and only notice upon its first cleaning that it had no rifling in the barrel. :shock: You just have to watch these days. My old Savage 99's are probably the best made firearms in my posession and ironically they are my oldest rifles in my possession standing upright in my gun lockers next to the tupper ware stocked rilfles of today...
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

[quote="AJMD429For me it wouldn't matter, because I'd just center the front and install a Williams FP rear[/quote]
Front sight seems to be properly located, rear sight dovetail is off kilter. I let him take a few shots with my 1894fg with Williams sight, and he liked it, so he is good with that idea. Only thing is he wants a stainless receiver sight and I do not recall ever seeing one.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Canted because the dovetail is cut wrong, or the sight bent? The latter could be handling issues, either before, during or after shipping. The former is definitely on QC.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Griff wrote:Canted because the dovetail is cut wrong, or the sight bent? The latter could be handling issues, either before, during or after shipping. The former is definitely on QC.
Dovetail cut wrong.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

A friend of mine just bought a brand new Marlin 1894 in .44 mag.

It looks good on the outside and believe me I looked hard.

But when you look down the bore . . . :( About halfway down the bore there's about four of five chunks of steel missing from the top of two of the lands. Just not there. Of course it shoots as if there's barrel missing, poorly.

Cat
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Perhaps mechanically, they are finally making a few non-lemonington's. For me, the pictured gun is laminate not walnut..... not to my liking and the dimensions of the stock resemble a fence post. Too bulky! :shock: I'd say they got a loooooooooog way to go before it compares to a JM.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Could swear I just saw a Marlin 45-70 in the Jurassic World trailer during a commercial just now...
SO want one...
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Win94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Win94 »

buckeyeshooter wrote:Perhaps mechanically, they are finally making a few non-lemonington's. For me, the pictured gun is laminate not walnut..... not to my liking and the dimensions of the stock resemble a fence post. Too bulky! :shock: I'd say they got a loooooooooog way to go before it compares to a JM.

I totally understand your prefrence for walnut over laminate. Im the same. But you are off on the "dimensional" statement. I owned 3 JM stamped Guideguns previously and they all had the bulky forestock and the buttstocks were of the same dimensions as this GBL i just bought. I could have bought the Guide gun again but remembering how my hands got mashed in that tiny lever with my previous guideguns, i pulled the trigger on the GBL model instead as it comes with a pistol grip stock like my .444 Marlin and it also has a 6 +1 capacity with that longer tube. The GBL definitley does not have any wood that is "bulkier" than the previous guideguns. Although my .444 Marlin does have a slimmer forestock but that gun is from 1972 and sports a 22" rifle barrel.
Win94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Win94 »

Panzercat wrote:Could swear I just saw a Marlin 45-70 in the Jurassic World trailer during a commercial just now...
SO want one...

You did. Looks like an SBL to me!!

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Canted sights are nothing new. Marlin and Winchester have had that issue for ever.
I'd suggest to him that he ships that rifle straight back to the factory and have the barrel indexed properly and a thorough check out of everything else.

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING irritates me more than crooked sights.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
375hh1973
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 375hh1973 »

As I stated above I inspected several Remlingtons and 2 had crooked sights. I usually pull the sights off anyway but I am with others who are thinking "what else is wrong?" with this gun. I ended up spending considerably more on a Ruger 77/22 Stainless/Synthetic in 22 wmr but the quality just "felt" better on the whole gun. Smoother, better finish, etc. A friend has an older bolt action Marlin 22 mag and it is a heck of a shooter. Again, quality just "feels" better.

Speaking of 22 wmr, where the &%*$ is all the ammo??
Win94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Win94 »

375hh1973 wrote:As I stated above I inspected several Remlingtons and 2 had crooked sights. I usually pull the sights off anyway but I am with others who are thinking "what else is wrong?" with this gun. I ended up spending considerably more on a Ruger 77/22 Stainless/Synthetic in 22 wmr but the quality just "felt" better on the whole gun. Smoother, better finish, etc. A friend has an older bolt action Marlin 22 mag and it is a heck of a shooter. Again, quality just "feels" better.

Speaking of 22 wmr, where the &%*$ is all the ammo??

.22 win mag ammo is impossible to find up here in Alberta as well as throughout Canada. I feel your pain. .22 long rifle is just starting to make its appearance up here in the last month or so in our major sporting good and hardware stores.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Win, have you had a chance to shoot your bruiser yet? I miss having a .45-70 levergun.