Bargain Shopping

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Bargain Shopping

Post by Panzercat »

My wife likes to hit up the local Goodwill every once in a while for cheap toys. I normally head straight for the electronics hodgepodge at the back, not expecting much in the way of material finds. But I was wrong today. The Magic Chef 1000w 1.6cuft microwave with a few minor scuffs is almost beside the point, but it rang in at a paltry $15.00 (@ homedepot for $150ish). And yes, we made sure it worked before ringing it up.

The find that made me smile, however was that blue thing on top of it. Vintage-ish Colt branded earmuffs. $2.00 in great condition with nothing more than a scuff here and there. Sure you can get generics off ebay for nearly the same price, but a deal is a deal and those are all plastic.

Mine!
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Bargain Shopping

Post by Pete44ru »

Yep - Goodwill & Miss Sally's (Salvation Army) sometimes harbor treasures.

I found these two ink drawings of 1800's lumbering @ SA a few years ago, tagged at $1.50ea, and thought them worthy of matting/framing ($25).

(the like-new real-leather sofa was $400 ;) )

Plus, since it's a religion, my SA donations are tax-deductible. ;) (IDK if Goodwill donations are deductible too)

Last edited by Pete44ru on Wed May 06, 2015 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

FWIW and not to detract from 'Cat's post. I read an article about Goodwill a few years ago and haven't bought any thing there since. The C.E.O. of Goodwill industries makes way over $100K per year. Goodwill gets all their inventory for free. Goodwill pays absolute minimum wage (any benefits?). There is a thrift store in town run by the local Humane Society that I buy from because the profits go to the local shelter, not some fat cat's pocket. Jes my opinion...

I also support The Salvation Army any time I can, one of the very few charities I give to.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

mikld wrote:FWIW and not to detract from 'Cat's post. I read an article about Goodwill a few years ago and haven't bought any thing there since. The C.E.O. of Goodwill industries makes way over $100K per year. Goodwill gets all their inventory for free. Goodwill pays absolute minimum wage (any benefits?). There is a thrift store in town run by the local Humane Society that I buy from because the profits go to the local shelter, not some fat cat's pocket. Jes my opinion...

I also support The Salvation Army any time I can, one of the very few charities I give to.
DETRACTOR!

Just kidding. That aside, I can't find examples of those muffs anywhere on the interwebs. I see one ebay listing for $65, but other than that, I don't know anything about these things. Granted, they're just ear protection so what is there to know, but it's just kind of odd. I would expect there to me more examples of this sort of colt memorabilia.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Panzercat... Just don't watch the food cook
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

mikld wrote:FWIW and not to detract from 'Cat's post. I read an article about Goodwill a few years ago and haven't bought any thing there since. The C.E.O. of Goodwill industries makes way over $100K per year. Goodwill gets all their inventory for free. Goodwill pays absolute minimum wage (any benefits?). There is a thrift store in town run by the local Humane Society that I buy from because the profits go to the local shelter, not some fat cat's pocket. Jes my opinion...

I found out the same thing, and now all mine goes to a local thrift store. It's all volunteer and they throw away NOTHING. If it doesn't sell, they give it away to mission projects.

+1 on the Salvation Army, but I give to my local chapter instead of the state.

I would love to give to some others , but seem to always find out somebody at the top has deep pockets!

Irv