I think I'm gonna like 17 Hornet...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

I think I'm gonna like 17 Hornet...

Post by AJMD429 »

Like most firearms enthusiasts I have some 22 LR rifles, and a couple are really accurate, but the 22 LR has limited power if you are shooting more than paper, and starts to drop quite a bit out past 75 yards or so, and sometimes keyhole once it goes subsonic. (The subsonic rounds drop more but are more accurate 'way out there' so are fun to shoot and pretend you're lobbing 45-70 bullets out to 1000 yards and practice your ranging skills.)

I also have a couple 223's, including both a bolt action and semiauto that are quite accurate, but rather loud, and perhaps even over-powered for some small-game and varmints.

I kept looking for something 'lighter' than the 223, but accurate enough that I could count on 'hits' out to a couple hundred yards, for times when I just want to win a bet on who can hit a golfball first, or (with the right bullet) shoot small game out past the 75 yard limit I've self-imposed for 22 LR. . .

Candidates I've messed with:
  • a) 22 WMR
    b) 17 HMR
    c) 22 Hornet, and
    d) 17 Hornet
17 Hornet Compare.jpg
I didn't go with 204 Ruger (though I still am considering an AR upper in it, 'cuz my Mystic would make it quieter), because it seems like it is still at the '223' power-level, and although crazy flat-shooting, I wouldn't be shooting anything with it that I couldn't shoot with my 223, with just a bit more elevation correction. I doubt I could shoot the 'accuracy difference' between 204 Ruger and 223 Rem, since a couple of my 223's shoot 1/2" at 100 yards.

Although I've not compared all four of the 'candidates' in identical types of rifles, I have messed with:
  • a) 22 WMR in lever action rifles (Ruger 96/22) and handguns (Single Six, NAA Mini-revolver, Kel-Tec PMR30),

b) 17 HMR in lever action rifles (just bought a 17 HMR barrel and installed in on a Ruger 96/22Mag - takes about 5 minutes to swap the Ruger 96 from 22 WMR to 17 HMR and back), and a breakopen Handi-Rifle.

c) 22 Hornet in bolt action rifles (Ruger 77/22H, Savage Accu-Trigger) and handgun (Contender 14"), and

d) 17 Hornet in a breakopen carbine (Contender).
So far, what I'm thinking is this:

The 22 WMR is definitely able to extend the 'reach' of the 22 LR, but is still subject to the whims of rimfire ammo and with 'availability' currently an issue, it can mean getting all sighted-in and comfortable with one brand/load, then having to re-do it all or settle for one that is less accurate but available. The Ruger 96/22Mag is pretty accurate when scoped, but not as accurate at 100 yards as my 223's.

The 17 HMR is clearly more accurate (in my hands) at 100 yards in the Ruger 96 vs. the 22 WMR; partly due to flatter trajectory so less holdover guessing if range is unknown, and partly may be due to the shorter time in the barrel for my unsteadiness to mess things up. The gun was the same Ruger 96, so no variation in trigger etc. In the breakopen gun (with 40x scope 8) ) it is at least as accurate as my 223's at 100 yards, but of course the tradeoff is much less power if I'm shooting game vs. paper.

I of course like the reloadability and 'nostalgia' of the 22 Hornet, but am still shooting up my factory loads I got 'for the brass' and haven't been all that impressed with inherent accuracy; it sounds like this is the same experience others have had. It seems 'spotty' and accurate with the right gun and right reloads, so I haven't given up on it, plus I like the Ruger 77/22H a lot. I could go with a 'K-Hornet' modification perhaps.

However, the 17 Hornet has way less 'drop', like the 17 HMR vs. the 22 WMR, and that extends my accurate-shooting range, plus seems to be more accurate anyway (though comparing a Contender rig with it's "perfect" trigger to anything else is a bit unfair). Power-wise, it seems to be nicely niched between the 22 LR and the 223 - I wouldn't want to have 17 Hornet as the only thing between 22 LR and 243 Win or 6mm Rem, but with the 223 there for a decent amount of power and accuracy in a 'loud' cartridge, the 17 Hornet fits nicely.

I know there is the 17 Win Mag rimfire out there, but it isn't all that 'hotter' than the 17 HMR, and is still a rimfire.

I don't know how hard 17 Hornet will be to reload vs. 204 Ruger, but I have the dies, and a Harrel's powder measure that is accurate down to the sub-ten-grain range.

P.S. I just put ten 17 Hornet bullets in a dime-sized group at 100 yards...and I was just shooting at an 'aiming point' while chronographing. Light wasn't right and I couldn't get them to register so was irritated, but kinda happy when I went to take down the paper. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun May 03, 2015 9:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I think I'm gonna like 17 Hornet...

Post by BigSky56 »

AJ, I would go with the 22 K hornet you can use jacketed or cast in it and you can get 100-300 fps more velocity with the K. I hope you have good luck with your 77-22 hornet they are notorious for big groups. danny
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Good post AJ. Looking forward to range reports on the 17 hornet - as well as hunting reports! :D
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

22k Hornet with cast bullets. Giving up a little velocity, but still far faster than a 22 lr, you can shoot cast bullets and never wear out your barrel. Which happens when you do a lot of varmint shooting .

Just a thought from the peanut gallery , who has even worn out a 17 hmr barrel on them darn critters :D

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Bronco wrote:
Just a thought from the peanut gallery , who has even worn out a 17 hmr barrel on them darn critters :D

John
IIRC over on Rimfire Central a couple of guys were talking about wearing out the throat of Savge bolt action rifles in 17HMR with 7,000 or so rounds
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

My 17 HMR quit at around 8000 rounds. Went out like a light bulb!
heard of others who wore out a savage.. sent it to factory and was given a new rifle. Had to pay for new barrel and installation on my CZ. Did not know about Savage's customer service when I bought the CZ. Still happy with the CZ though., Just shoot 22 Lr. at anything under 100 yards now. 17 HMR 100 to 150 yds., 200 if conditions are good and A Vartarg at anything over 200.

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Doc,
I think you oughta sell me your R 8) uger lever 22wmr in order to make room for your 17
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Though unless you're going with another single shot, the Hornet would probably be easier.
Slow is just slow.