Williams 5D on Winchester Trapper

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Williams 5D on Winchester Trapper

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Rear sight on my beloved 94 Winchester Trapper has bit the dust :cry:

Actually the moveable V broke into two...split right down the middle. Well it was showing signs of age anyway, the white triangle was hardly discernible, so maybe it was about time.

So the decision was whether to locate an original, either used or NOS from e-gunparts or...do what I had planned to do thirty years ago, put a peep on it.

Have plenty of leverguns with peeps, a couple with FP's, a few with Ashley's, and one or two with Lyman's. So...my experience has dictated that once I get a rifle sighted in, with a peep, it pretty much stays sighted in forever. Therefor the adjustability of the FP's did not seem worth it. The Lyman and the Ashley's seem a bit over priced...except the front Ashley post makes it very tempting. Also gotta say that the Ashley's can handle some very abusive behavior too. But...decided to go with the Williams 5D

So as I wait on delivery from Midway, have a couple questions:

1. Picked the 5D because very rarely adjust the FP...is that the correct assumption?

2. Will I need to change front blade? Will the front sight be tall enough?
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Re: Williams 5D on Winchester Trapper

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Not a Winchester but I have 5D sights on both my model 36, and model 1894 Marlins and they did not require replacing the front sights, they work fine.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Danke Ji!
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

1. Settle on a load, zero it -- you'll probably never need to adjust the sight again.
2. Some will say "maybe", but my experience says "definitely" -- a higher blade will be needed. But, you will find out for yourself, soon enough.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have got four lever guns with the 5D sight and a 45-70 single shot with a high dollar Foolproof on it. I have not had to change any front sights and they all seem to hit what I aim at. I reckon I have been fortunate with them, they sure do help an old man shoot better.

I just got my Rossi .357 carbine back from the gunsmith last week but have not got it sighted in yet, need to get it to the range.
Last edited by JerryB on Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I've had lots of Win 94s with FPs on them, never did use the 5D. My reasoning is that it's easier and more precise for me to adjust the FP with it's click adjustments, then lock it down, than to fidget with the screw lock settings on the 5D.

And I've found the same thing most have said, once set my receiver sights almost never need adjusting. I use almost the same load all the time.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:Not a Winchester but I have 5D sights on both my model 36, and model 1894 Marlins and they did not require replacing the front sights, they work fine.
ditto this

I use the 5d precisely because it holds zero and doesn't re-sight itself.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Loaded up a pile of 444 decades ago. Set my FP and it has remained there ever since! I do like easy adjustability on some rifles but in reality use it little.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Well, shoot! I didn't know such a thing existed or I would have put that on my 94AE Trapper instead of a regular Williams FP. I may get one anyway the next time I place an order.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

My guess is once it's adjusted you won't ever move it again and the factory front sight will be fine. Educated guess.
mack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mack »

OTH,
I've got a 5D ("E" or "SE" ??) on my '94AE trapper 30/30. It works OK with the standard front post... sort of. My 150gr load, (moderate, Sierra Game King over 3031, 2000fps) shoots 1" over point of aim at 75yds. (the edge of the clearing from house). Sight adjustment is bottomed out. My 170gr Game King load over 3031 at 1850fps hits about 2" higher. No problem if you know about it, but it would be nice to get a true zero. The bugger is that the 170gr load is the best shooter and I would like to have it going right down the hole in my fire zone.
Once the sight is locked in, it doesn't move. Windage adjustment is a PIA, very hard to nail down with a screwdriver in your teeth and reading classes on your forehead between shots, but when it's snugged down, it stays.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

The 5D just came in the mail today, mounted it up. Hope to have time tomorrow afternoon to range test.

Using the bore laser @ 25 yards, it appears that it might need a taller front sight...but that is conjecture right now.

Also picked up a Kimber Custom II TT...so have to try that out too.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The only times I've ever had a better receiver sight (like a Lyman, Redfield, or FP) on my rifles, is if they were already mounted when I acquired the gun.

Since all of mine are "set-'n-forget", when buying new, I prefer the 5D (which is easy-peazy for me to zero).

IME, for a really workable zero, I've had to install a higher front sight on most of my rifles - which, of course, gives me the chance to switch out the front sight blade to one I like better than most (a fiber-optic).

Also, ILO of buying a dovetail slot filler blank, for after the rear barrel open sight is removed (for a clean sight picture through the peep), I file one up from any old longleaf rear open sight I have in my scrounge box.

Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Thanks for the idea Pete...already have a slot filler, but now I know what to do with all the bent leafs I have accumulated.