thinking about another levergun in .22cal

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894c

thinking about another levergun in .22cal

Post by 1894c »

I presently own a Henry Carbine (big-loop) .22cal levergun (see attached pic). It's not fancy, wasn't expensive, it's kind-of the levergun equivalent of a 10-22, but it has been a very good shooter. I'm thinking about getting another .22cal levergun, I've been looking at the Browning BL-22, but also been looking at this latest variant from Henry (see pic and link for details)...just thinking out loud on this forum, any input world be appreciated... I should also mention that I'm looking for a second so my youngest daughter can go shooting with me... :)

Henry Small game Carbine
http://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/henry ... ine-rifle/
H001TRP-and-TLP.png
Henry Carbine (big-loop)
Lever-Action-22-Carbine-Rifle.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: thinking about another levergun in .22cal

Post by gamekeeper »

I like the Henry .22 leverguns, I'd have no problem buying two but sometimes it's nice to try another make. If I did not have my 9422 I would go for either a Henry Carbine or a Ruger 96.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

I like the BL-22. I've had a couple over the years. The latest one is an FLD Grade 2 with 20" barrel. I didn't care for the 24" octagon, it was muzzle heavy and slower to mount.

http://randywakeman.com/Browning_BL_22_Oct_GrII.htm
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I never liked the way the trigger comes down with the lever assembly on the Browning --- but thats just a personal quibble ---- I would probably not buy one based on that alone . (kinda like some folks' feelings on Henry mag tube feeding on their big rifles ------ prolly not bad, just different)
----- Doug
1894c

Post by 1894c »

starting to think that I would like to get a Browning BL-22, had one, let it go... :)
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

as I recall the Browning has about the shortest throw of the guns I've shot. so it'd be quick at dispensing the bullets. I think it's an easy take-down also, if that matters. can't go wrong with that gun.

the Marlin 39 variants are worth considering. not the smoothest action, but rugged and a bit of levergun history in every one. they take down and fit in small spaces also. I made a fitted box for mine.

Grizz
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

Always liked the 30 degree lever throw, no need to unhook your thumb just flick your fingers.
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
SargeMarlin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by SargeMarlin »

I'm also a fan of the Browning, but in this case I sure like the idea of a 16.25" .22WMR. That's a lot of rimfire power in a compact handy little carbine. That would be my choice. Good luck with your decision.

SM
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I managed to latch onto a BL-22 last year. I really like it.
I've been eye-balling the Uberti Silverboys lately. Might pick up on in .22 mag, or wait for another Win 9422 to fall in my lap.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

As long as I had a 'Winchester style' 22 LR levergun, my other one would for sure be a Ruger 96/22 ( or 96/22 Mag or 96/17 HMR), because I love the super-short lever-throw (makes it nearly as fast as a 10/22 if you really push it). Mine have been accurate and they are so light weight and easy to clean even if out in the muck with them, due to the one-piece stock.

I put an Operative integrally-suppressed barrel on my 96/22 and it is my favorite 'starter' gun for showing newbies the ropes of shooting. NO noise (the bullet hitting leafy woods floor 150 yards away dwarfs all other sound), either 8) .
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "