SPEAKING OF CHAUNCEY THOMAS, WHAT WORD DID HE COIN THAT WE

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

SPEAKING OF CHAUNCEY THOMAS, WHAT WORD DID HE COIN THAT WE

Post by Terry Murbach »

Sixgunners use everyday ?
At the time, 1910 or some such, he was the editor of THE AMERICAN RIFLEMAN and a highly respected gun expert in his own right. He was also the guy who sort of 'found' Elmer Keith and was Elmer's first editor back in the late 1920'S.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: SPEAKING OF CHAUNCEY THOMAS, WHAT WORD DID HE COIN THAT

Post by Blaine »

:? :? "Dammit I missed"??
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Looked the man up but couldn't find reference to "the" word, even found this post about him.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Terry Murbach wrote:Sixgunners use everyday ?
At the time, 1910 or some such, he was the editor of THE AMERICAN RIFLEMAN and a highly respected gun expert in his own right. He was also the guy who sort of 'found' Elmer Keith and was Elmer's first editor back in the late 1920'S.
"sixgun".

Steve
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

SteveR wrote:
Terry Murbach wrote:Sixgunners use everyday ?
"sixgun".

Steve
BINGO for the Steve guy. And at first Elmer used it spelled ' 6gun ' in his articles.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

And here I thought it was that Jack dude from Pennsylvania did that.....
:D
NRA Life Member
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

TedH wrote:And here I thought it was that Jack dude from Pennsylvania did that.....
:D
YES!!!!! That was me who coined that word. I am a reincarnated Chauncey Thomas, Elmer Keith, John Newman, Harold Croft, Bill O'Connel, George Madis, Ed McGivern, Jack McPhee, John Taffin, and I've saved the best for last, Terry Murbach........all rolled into one. :D

So.......if you boys want to learn from the best.........forget that pizza and cheap beer this Saturday night and buy yourself a copy of "SIXGUNS". You will learn more from that book than any Shooting Times, Guns and Ammo, or other cheap gun magazine ever invented, with the exception of Handloader, Rifle, Guns, American Rifleman, or American Handgunner.

Trust Terry......he 'da man----------"The "Real" Sixgun.... :D ....
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote::? :? "Dammit I missed"??
Well, Blaine, some of us never have to use that particular phrase. . . 8)

. . . . of course I only know about that in theory, not being one of those individuals. . . :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Here is a bit of literature that uses the term - in the early 1900's:
Jim Waring of Sonora-Town, or, Tang of Life (1918) Knibbs, Henry Herbert
"...The rural flung up his arms and pitched forward, rolling to Waring's feet. The gunman leaped up, and, snatching his carbine from the rock, swung round and took his six-gun from the rural's limp fingers."

Before that coined word, "Six-shooter" was found in usage. Here are two books you can download from Gutenberg (free press) online, for instance:
Thirteen Months In The Rebel Army: Being A Narrative Of Personal Adventures In The Infantry, Ordnance, Cavalry, Courier, And Hospital Services (1862) Stevenson, William G.
"... I went home, and, as if urged by a guardian, though warlike, spirit, cleaned up my two six-shooters, and, after examining my ammunition, laid them away unloaded. On the night of April 17th, 1861, I was awakened out of a sound sleep about 11 o'clock by three men, who requested me to accompany them to Jeffersonville, a small town on the St. Francis river, eight miles distant."

Wild Bill's Last Trail (c. 1821-1886) Buntline, Ned (and several other offerings)
"Oh, no," he said, with assumed carelessness. "Accidents will happen in the best families. It's not in me to bear a grudge, because Bill may have wiped out fifteen or twenty Texans, while they were foolin' around in his way. As to harm--he's too ready with his six-shooter, old Truth-Teller, he calls it, to stand in much danger. I'm quick, but he is quicker.