QuickLOAD

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
milton
Levergunner 2.0

QuickLOAD

Post by milton »

I know this is not a lever gun question but I have noticed that some of you are experienced with the noted program.I am wanting to work up some load data for a Ruger revolver in 32 H&R but in pressure ranges exceeding the 21,000 CUP figure quoted so often.My question is two fold,first will the quickload program do this and second is there a way to buy only the software pertaining to the desired caliber?
Thank you
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
harry
Senior Levergunner

Re: QuickLOAD

Post by harry »

QuickLoad will run most any load you punch into it, It will have "BIG RED WARNING"
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Like Harry said plus you have to buy the entire program.

Mainehunter :wink:
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Milton,
I don't think any Quickload software licensees would care to publish dangerously high pressure loads on this site.

The Quickload program is amazing, but expensive. You might want to try Loaddata.com (sp?) or Ammoguide.com for some published loads, but please check these with more than one source; two or three others is better.

I have noted some hot dog loads and even some dangerously mistyped info with even "authoritative" sources, several times.
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

Thanks for the help! Presently the money is just not there to buy the software.My problem is I have a custom revolver with a Bowen cylinder in 32 H&R.I do not desire to re-chamber to 327.The revolver will load and shoot at pressures exceeding quoted pressures and do it safely but I would like to see some suggested loads at a projected pressure of 30,000 to 32,000.What I am looking for is an "optimum" powder for this revolver-cartridge combination not just some crazy "maximum noise" load.
I guess my best bet is to borrow a chrono and see what I can safely do.
I see a lot of 327 data but as you stated all the published 32 H&R loads I can find are at 21,000 or below.
It is just frustrating to know the revolver/cartridge will safely go above 21,000 and yet have no data that I can use to do this.
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Like stated above, AmmoGuide and LoadData both have great features and are worth the fifty cents a week or so that it costs to be a full member and access all the data.

AmmoGuide has way more cartridge comparison and search and 'what powders can I use for' or 'what cartridges can this powder be used for' type stuff, but lists both commercial AND private loads (easy to tell the difference). I use it frequently, and yes I do 'double check' loads with other sites - BUT I DO THAT EVEN IF THE LOAD IS FROM A MANUFACTURERS LOADING BOOK...!

LoadData is I think limited to only 'published' loads, and has far more limited 'search' functions, but I use it as a 'check' for other places.

Hope that helps.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

milton wrote:Thanks for the help! Presently the money is just not there to buy the software.My problem is I have a custom revolver with a Bowen cylinder in 32 H&R.I do not desire to re-chamber to 327.The revolver will load and shoot at pressures exceeding quoted pressures and do it safely but I would like to see some suggested loads at a projected pressure of 30,000 to 32,000.What I am looking for is an "optimum" powder for this revolver-cartridge combination not just some crazy "maximum noise" load.
I guess my best bet is to borrow a chrono and see what I can safely do.
I see a lot of 327 data but as you stated all the published 32 H&R loads I can find are at 21,000 or below.
It is just frustrating to know the revolver/cartridge will safely go above 21,000 and yet have no data that I can use to do this.
Not being a smart aleck, but I'm curious as to why not? At the price of Quickloads I would sure be tempted to have it converted to 327 myself. Then can use published data.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Brian Pierce has loads for 32 H&R in handloader. What weight bullet are you looking to shoot. Let me know and I can look through some back issues to see what I can find. I keep my loads below 1000 FPS , they aren't so loud when shooting without ear protection when shooting varmits.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I see what you are talking about, milton. I pulled up QL and played a little bit. Yeah, if you have a gun that easily handles 30K psi (which is well below the 44K psi of the 327 Federal) you could send those little bullets out quite a lot faster than standard. I used the 100 grain Hornady XTP bullet out of a 6" bbl and QL thinks Norma R123 is by far the best powder for max velocities. Interesting to me was that QL thinks that a compressed load of H110 would get decent velocity and not exceed SAAMI all that much. But it was still a couple hundred fps below what the R123 load would do.

I might be with Vance: rechamber to 327 Federal would have the advantage of keeping things to standard loads.

Or like BenT suggests: keep velocities below speed of sound and celebrate having a very pleasant shooter that doesn't bust the eardrums (like the 327 Federal is known to do).
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

The main reason for not changing the chambering is because I already have a bunch of 32 H&R brass and no 327 brass.R123,interesting,thank you for that.I am using H110 and 296 and yes without a compressed load the loads show very low pressure.I'll just give the chrony a try and see what I can work out.Thanks again for all the help!!!!

BenT:thank you for the offer ,I already have Brian Pierce's load data and yes I do shoot many loads at the velocity you suggest.It is no big thing but it is just ashamed that no one has posted data "FOR RUGERS ONLY" like the 45 Colt loads noted for Ruger only.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

My first concern, not being familiar with the .32 caliber:
Are you sure the current caliber brass is stout enough to contain the pressure, strong cylinder not withstanding?
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

John,I am using Starline brass.I have seen some problems with the earlier federal brass but not with Starline.I have seen some loads other fellows loaded in .32 H&R in Starline brass that I would not attempt myself and though the loads measured 40,200 CUP !!!! the brass did fine .
I have pushed loads a little over 20,000 CUP in my revolver and have gotten 10 plus reloads with that brass.As long as the revolver has a minimum sized chamber(as mine does)and dies are fit to re-size a minimal amount I cannot see where the Starline brass would be a problem.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Starline is my brass of choice for stouter loads.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

milton wrote:John,I am using Starline brass.I have seen some problems with the earlier federal brass but not with Starline.I have seen some loads other fellows loaded in .32 H&R in Starline brass that I would not attempt myself and though the loads measured 40,200 CUP !!!! the brass did fine .
I have pushed loads a little over 20,000 CUP in my revolver and have gotten 10 plus reloads with that brass.As long as the revolver has a minimum sized chamber(as mine does)and dies are fit to re-size a minimal amount I cannot see where the Starline brass would be a problem.
Why not have your friends with the CUP equipment measure your loads ???????
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

Harry,
The quoted load was tested some time ago by someone else .I just had access to their data on one load and that load is the one quoted.This fellow quoted I do not personally know so getting some more data would not be that easy and I definitely could not afford to have some loads tested myself.
I wish I had access to a lab and could work up some real data but I will get by!
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

If you're using the heavier bullets, you might be able to seat them to the longer COL of the .327 and crimp them with a Lee collet--or you could get a cannelure tool. If that works, you can use the starting loads for the .327 from the Hodgdon manual.

With single base powders, you can do some extrapolating from the starting and full power loads for the H&R, eg. the 800X data at Hodgdon.
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

Thank you for the response! I have loaded the 115 grain cast bullets longer and taper crimped them but I really want to keep the pressure just below the .357 mag numbers.I am still working on some data I received and when I get range time I will post my findings.
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

Milton,

What is the measured length of your 115 gr cast lead bullets? What is the length of your gun barrel? What velocities are you hoping for or what velocity range would be acceptable?

I would like to check QL to get a feeling about what might be possible.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

earlmck wrote:I see what you are talking about, milton. I pulled up QL and played a little bit. Yeah, if you have a gun that easily handles 30K psi (which is well below the 44K psi of the 327 Federal) you could send those little bullets out quite a lot faster than standard. I used the 100 grain Hornady XTP bullet out of a 6" bbl and QL thinks Norma R123 is by far the best powder for max velocities. Interesting to me was that QL thinks that a compressed load of H110 would get decent velocity and not exceed SAAMI all that much. But it was still a couple hundred fps below what the R123 load would do.
Ok, if someone is holding onto a secret stash of R123 ... I'll give you $100 per pound for it. I know it still appears in QuickLoad but as far as I can tell, it was last imported about 10 years ago and the last of it left Grafs back then.

R123 is the bomb for the Hornet and other smaller cartridges ... like 5mm CF, etc. Yes, even better than Lil'Gun.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

I tried to find some Norma R123 and so far I can find none! I have been told that the powder has been discontinued but someone is bound to have some.
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

BAGTIC,to tell you the truth I am not looking for any particular velocity with my 115 gr. and 100 gr. bullets I just would like to see the cartridge loaded to its true potential.I am not suggesting anyone else do this especially in some of the H&R revolvers but in my case I have a Single-Six that has a custom Bowen cylinder .The cartridge will load to higher listed pressures safely and without getting too short of brass life if slowly working up loads . That is what I am after.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

KWK wrote:If you're using the heavier bullets, you might be able to seat them to the longer COL of the .327 and crimp them with a Lee collet--or you could get a cannelure tool. If that works, you can use the starting loads for the .327 from the Hodgdon manual.
That's what I was thinking...

If you have similarly-strong 32 H&R brass and load to the same overall length of the 327 Fed, you basically have the same thing as if you took some 327 factory loads and used a Dremel tool to carefully shorten the case, then re-crimp it further towards the base of the bullet. IF the brass is equally strong, you've not changed anything significant that would affect the pressures; you're still dealing with '327 Fed' pressures, but if your gun is up to that, I can't see any reason it would be more subject to failure than if you re-chambered it.

The problem would be if you used a 327 Fed load in ANY case seated to the shorter 32 H&R length, which you are appropriately NOT wanting to do.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

Thank you for the reply and to answer your question I have tried what you are talking about and it works,uh sorta.If you load the 115 grain cast bullet I am loading in a 327 Fed case you have a 'combustion chamber" that has a length of 0.835 inches.If I take that same bullet and load it into a 32 h&R case but load it longer(you run into proper bullet pull problems here)I end up with a "combustion chamber" length of 0.755 inches.If they were closer I would feel comfortable doing what you are suggesting.Now if I take a Hornady 100 grain XTP and load it and crimp it as far forward in the 32 H&R case still keeping proper bullet pull I end up with a "combustion chamber" length of 0.810 inches,awfully close to the 115 in the 327 case.If I load a 100 grain cast bullet in the 32 H&R case I end up with a "combustion chamber "length of 0.860 inches or one exceeding the chamber in the 327 loaded with a 115 grain cast bullet.So you could safely take the starting loads for the 115 gr. bullet in the 327 fed and load them behind the 100 gr. cast bullet in the 32 H&R.
What I have found so far is combining the data from loading manuals and looking at the info from QuickLoad I can start with 115 gr. 327 fed data and load it behind a Hornady 100 gr. XTP for some fairly powerful loads.When I get all this put together I will try to post what I am finding.