Going Hog Hunting, Tomorrow.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Going Hog Hunting, Tomorrow.

Post by Lastmohecken »

I got invited on a hog hunt down in Texas, tomorrow. We are going to hunt Friday afternoon, and evening with a red varmint light and then Saturday, Saturday night and maybe Sunday morning.

I just found out about this today, so I am scrambling around, getting stuff found and trying to decide what to take. Some are taking AR's in .223, but others bigger guns, probably boltactions. I started dragging guns out, and considered taking an AR-15 as one of my guns, but I just can't hardly see it. I know head shots would work, but might be difficult to make. So, I finally decided, actually I never considered not taking it, to take my old reliable standby, the Browning BLR in .308 with 2 x 7 Leupold scope on it. It's been killing everything for 20yrs, so I doubt a hog will be any different.

But I also decided to take my Winchester 71, in .348 win with receiver sight and Sour Dough front sight. If I can get a daylight shot, I sure would like to bust a hog with it.

And I am taking my 4-5/8" Ruger Super Black Hawk in .44 mag for back up, I think everyone is taking a handgun in addition to a rifle.

Anyway, it ought to be fun, hope we see some hogs under the right conditions for a shot. I sure wish I had some loads worked up for my old Win 71 carbine in .450 Alaskan. I guess this would be good reason for me to get off of my butt and get some handloads worked up for maybe a future hunt.

Hope I have some pictures to share when I get back.
NRA Life Member, Patron
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Going Hog Hunting, Tomorrow.

Post by crs »

Have fun. It sounds like you are armed to the teeth and those piggies are in deep doo doo. :)

I have hunted hogs just east of Clarksville with great success. What area will you be hunting?
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Be sure to wipe some spit on that front sight Lastmohecan. Hope you kill a bigun'.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Good luck. That .308 should be perfectly suited to killing a pig. I have shot pigs with firearms that have less power and done fine. That .308 will take down any pig that you are likely to find. The .44 Magnum sounds like a good backup. I used a .44 Magnum Super Blackhawk on a hog one time and it did the trick with a minimum of fuss. I realize that 1 time is not a good sample from which to draw conclusions, but I am far from the only one to have ever used that handgun and caliber on hogs. I saw CRS son go out with an AR15 and come in with a nice eating sized hog. The fact that he can put his bullets right where he wants them is a part of why the .223 worked for him. If those others who are using AR15s are good shots, then they should do fine.

I look forward to your report on the hunt.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Good luck. Lookin' forward to the after-action report! :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Love your choice of weapons 8)
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Well, I made it back, but no luck, but still had a good time. The Hog Hunting was slow, too much water. We were hunting down in North East TX around Mt. Pleasant down below Perry. It had been raining a lot and a lot of the owner's stands were under water, but we hunted out of the ones he had left, and one guy with us killed a pretty nice hog, another guy wounded a big hog and it went by another guy's stand but he could not get a good shot in on it either.

Me? Unfortunately, I wasn't lucky enough to get a shot at one on stand. I did see a lot of deer, and had 4 pretty nice Bucks in view at the same time along with a bunch of does. I was kind of surprised to learn that the deer keep their horns a little longer, 300 miles south of where I live. One guy did see a buck with only one antler, but all of them I seen had a full set left.

I did learn a little about gun lights and night hunting, and ended up with a green light that would make it possible to kill a hog out to probably 100yds after dark, but the first light I bought was a red light that was made by Primos and it was not very bright and would have been difficult to shoot farther with then probably 50 yds max, but it probably didn't spook game as easy as the green light did because I put the red light on deer and it didn't seem to bother them, but put the green light on a couple of deer and they got nervous and left. Unfortunately I never did get to put a light on a hog.

Maybe next time.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yep, the worst days hunting (barring physical injury) beat working.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Lastmohecken wrote:...I put the red light on deer and it didn't seem to bother them, but put the green light on a couple of deer and they got nervous and left...
Aha - THANK YOU for the info. Makes sense.

Blue lights were introduced into emergency equipment (police cars) and first used in Chicago, as I recall, because the short spectrum red light rays don't travel as far in mist and fog as the longer blue waves; so the longer reaching green laser was starting to make sense to me. For game, however, it is interesting to note that the green alerts the quarry. Just like wearing blue will scare away turkeys, while red will not.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

JohndeFresno wrote:
Lastmohecken wrote:...I put the red light on deer and it didn't seem to bother them, but put the green light on a couple of deer and they got nervous and left...
Aha - THANK YOU for the info. Makes sense.

Blue lights were introduced into emergency equipment (police cars) and first used in Chicago, as I recall, because the short spectrum red light rays don't travel as far in mist and fog as the longer blue waves; so the longer reaching green laser was starting to make sense to me. For game, however, it is interesting to note that the green alerts the quarry. Just like wearing blue will scare away turkeys, while red will not.
Yeah, I don't know for sure, the Jury may still be out. I know lots of people hunt with both the Green and red lights, my green light was lot brighter and had a tighter focus, where the red was not as bright and was less focused. The ranch owner, told us to be careful when putting a light on a hog, and to start with the light a little low instead of coming down from above with the light because the hog would see the shadow created by the light and spook, and some people try to come from behind with with the light. One thing is for sure, coons don't care, they are going to stay and eat corn all night if they want to. :lol:
NRA Life Member, Patron
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I've put red and green light on hogs from across a field to point blank range and for the most part they did not seem concerned about the light unless it was sudden or intense light at somewhat short range.

What seemed to get the hogs spooked was the movement of the lamp and the change in sound activity when the lamp was suddenly illuminated, i.e. foot-steps, branches moving, guns being cocked or placed on rests, rustling of clothing or equipment, etc.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Hello,

I have shots LOTS of hogs and the .308 is absolutely fine. Just shoot at the base of the ear and make certain that your rifle is sighted in accurately. Also use a bipod. If the best you can shoot is a 5 inch group then aim behind the shoulder and low. I also have killed a fair number with a .22-250 and have not had any problems. They fall over fro ma head shot and will go a little distance from a good lung shot. My favorite is a bow!! Hardly ever have to track further than 40 yards. Just wait for a good shot. Sit 70 yards down wind. Be quiet and still.

Good luck. Where in Texas are you going? I live in Houston and have a ranch near Austin.
Michael
Michael Puzio
Winchester Model 1892 Collector, Research & Valuations
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I was hunting down around Mt. Pleasant which is near Perry TX in NW Texas.
NRA Life Member, Patron
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

That is a long way from Houston. Do you do any good??

Michael
Michael Puzio
Winchester Model 1892 Collector, Research & Valuations