Elmer Keith carry gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Elmer Keith carry gun

Post by wm »

So did you do anything interesting at work today? Ian did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5Sxt0k5AG0
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Elmer Keith carry gun

Post by cshold »

Our Six could have done it better :wink:
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

Wow, they've got a lot of his guns up for bid and I can't afford any of them.

http://jamesdjulia.com/auction/373-marc ... ?session=1
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Those were kicking the snot out of him :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Thanks for posting this, it's as close as I will ever get to one of Elmers guns. but sure was worth seeing.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

As these guns will go for extreme top dollar, I'll just wait until the new buyers become poor and I'll snatch em for .50 on the dollar----maybe----probably not. I believe there is a guy whom I can talk into buying a few of these, but like me, if he can't rob 'em, he don't want them, so......I guess I'll just watch the auction live.

Elmer's #5 Colt would be the Holy Grail of any Colt ever made with his flat top Target Colt (the only one made in 44 Spl.)
coming in at a close second.-----------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Guess I will have to settle for being 15 miles from Elmer's guns.

If they have a viewing maybe I will go check them out. I went down last year to view the stuff for the spring auction and it was really neat.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Old Win.......you go on down there and play the magic trick......carry a rubber movie prop under your arm and have a buddy holler "fire" and when they turn their heads, just do the old switcheroo. :D ----6

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha that's why you got so many cool guns Six, you come up with creative ways of gettin em. :D

Truth is, that's about the only way I'm gonna get me some of that stuff.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Old Win.
Let me explain something to a youngster like yourself.

As a man ages, he looks back over his life and wonders whether he has done everything he set out to accomplish when he was a young man in his early twenties. My biggest goals were to have a nice family, a normal job, comfortable home, etc. and plenty of shooting time. I did that.......easily.

Then....he begins to get greedy....wanting more and more....not being satisfied with "average" 1873's 1886's, whatever.....so he goes on this quest to get very old guns in like new condition.....ok, I did that.......then....he wants guns with historical significance......not easy but with the Good Lord's blessings, I managed a few......thennnnnnnnn............he HAS to have a gun that was owned by Elmer Keith...his boyhood hero...

I'm thinking.......I seriously think I can get my bud to buy one or two ......he has the serious bucks......

My life would be complete owning a gun that Elmer Keith once owned...I want his #5.......dreamland.....dreamland..........heck......maybe that 44 mag carry gun......heck......,maybe some old H & R top break that they found in his trash can.....yea.....I'll take that!!!!----6

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I'd say you did it right Six. Truth is, you have more focus than I do haha.

I did see a Ruger Bearcat in the lot they figured would go for 2-3 grand. Wow.

I started out wanting the same things in life you did for the most part. I'd like to have more cool guns, but truthfully have more than I ever thought I would.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I will never be able to afford to buy any of Mr.Keith's guns unless I hit the lottery.
I did jump on the chance to buy an O3A3 rebuild that bears his inspection stamp, "OGEK" in a box.
There was one in slightly better condition with another stamp but I liked the thought that he had inspected and stamped mine. I don't suppose that anyone else would give a hoot but it tickles my fancy. :lol:
Jack
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

jhrosier wrote:I will never be able to afford to buy any of Mr.Keith's guns unless I hit the lottery.
I did jump on the chance to buy an O3A3 rebuild that bears his inspection stamp, "OGEK" in a box.
There was one in slightly better condition with another stamp but I liked the thought that he had inspected and stamped mine. I don't suppose that anyone else would give a hoot but it tickles my fancy. :lol:
Jack
I AGREE WITH YOU, JACK !!! Just to hold one of the very rifles that EK inspected at Ogden during WWII would warm the cuckholds of my heart all the way from the left to the right vetricle.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I didn't grow up in the same time period as most of you.

Elmer Keith was never my hero. Smart guy, obviously widely experienced, and I respect his knowledge (he was still writing regularly when I was growing up).

Different paths and all that. I have little use for a .44 Mag (not living in Alaska, etc), though I like the .357, having carried one a lot.

I tend to get a rifle when I need one, not try and wallop something from 500 yards with a pistol.

A lot of his work improved guns in general, and I'll give him that, but I don't covet his guns (leaving more for you old guys).

I'd rather have a historically significant Colt SAA (one from any of the Indian wars, etc), or a Mauser or Lee-Enfield, or a Webley or Luger from WW1, etc first.

That's why there's so many different kinds of collectors (i'm a user, not a collector.... with the exception of two Lee-Enfields).

Still, somewhere, there's always guys with more money than sense, and better to drop a few grand on a Elmer Keith pistol than a zombie-green Cerakoted 1886.....

A coworker of mine once had a rich guy tell him "everything you can think of as long as it looks cool" for an order.

1 rifle, two scopes, a hard case, soft case and a pile of other stuff later, he had a $10,000 sales order (no kidding).

Must be nice to have that kind of money....
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

I'd be just as happy with the same gun, that wasn't owned by Keith. With a LOT more money to buy a LOT of ammo, to shoot with. :wink: