Cap & ball revolver question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Cap & ball revolver question

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Fellas -

I recently acquired a Armi San Paolo/Hawes reproduction of the Schneider & Glassick cap & ball revolver. This is another of the Colt 1851 Navy clones the South produced durng the War of Northern Aggression. This one was made several decades ago, never fired, and I got it for a song. I suspect this was a wall-hanger that someone played with a lot, as the cylinder has a drag mark where some yahoo spun the cylinder and snap-cocked it over and over again.

The hammer also returns a bit when fully cocked. It will still drop from this position when the trigger is pulled, but this is really annoying. I have not come across this issue before, and was wondering if any of you have, and if so, which part do you think has been damaged and needs replaced/repaired (I suspect the hammer itself, but have not opened it up yet).

Figured it would make an interesting project gun. Thanks for your help!

YK
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Cap & ball revolver question

Post by Blaine »

:twisted:
South produced durng the War of Northern Aggression
And only dropped once....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BlaineG wrote::twisted:
South produced durng the War of Northern Aggression
And only dropped once....
For that particular model, maybe. Only three originals survive today. Of course, with 646,000+ dead and wounded, both sides combined, I'd say neither side dropped a lot of their arms unused... :(
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

When you say the hammer "... returns a little..." do you mean it over travels back lockup and then moves forward to engage the sear? If so, yes... it simply means the full cock notch is forward a little. It almost has to, in order to move far enough to allow the sear to drop into the notch. All my sixguns do this... to varying degrees, a few are less than a degree of arc, but yes the hammer falls a bit from its full back position to engage the sear.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

ASP, later Euroarms, was a quality product. It doesn't sound like you have any problems beyond the previous owner's abuse. If you are handy you could do a tune up yourself or take it to a smith. Tell him to check it and do a basic action job. Don't try to make it into a S&W, it only needs to function smoothly and reliably. Shoot and enjoy! I discovered through a $29.95 brass framed Hawes 45 years ago that a C&B revolver can be more fun than any other black powder firearm out there and many center fire revolvers too.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Griff wrote:When you say the hammer "... returns a little..." do you mean it over travels back lockup and then moves forward to engage the sear? If so, yes... it simply means the full cock notch is forward a little. It almost has to, in order to move far enough to allow the sear to drop into the notch. All my sixguns do this... to varying degrees, a few are less than a degree of arc, but yes the hammer falls a bit from its full back position to engage the sear.
Returns a lot would be more accurate. Does not prevent it from firing, but is really moves more than I have ever seen.

When I get a break from business travel and performance reviews I'll open her up and see what I find out.

Thanks! :D
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Fellas -

I recently acquired a Armi San Paolo/Hawes reproduction of the Schneider & Glassick cap & ball revolver. This is another of the Colt 1851 Navy clones the South produced during the War of Northern Aggression.
I had a similar revolver once, but my was a clone of one of those produced during a different war - the War of Southern Stupidity.

Like yours it just didn't seem to be timed right and in general, I think these pistols might have quite a bit of quality variation one to the next. Some are well made but then the next one is junk. I never got mine working well enough to suit me, and sent it off to live with someone that thought he could excise the little gremlins, but I never heard if he did.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

="Ysabel]. got it for a song.
YK

Ok Kid......if you got it for a song, I'll give you TWO for it. Let say......."Stairway To Heaven" by "Led Zeppelin", and I'll throw in "Starship Trooper" by the Yes.......deal?????

On a serious note, I believe I know what your talking about but not conveying it properly. Is it a hard trigger pull?.....like 8 pounds or so? If the pawl is too long, the cylinder will turn when cocking the hammer and lock up, but when pulling the trigger, the hammer will actually come back a few thousandths before releasing, resulting in a weird trigger pull and a feeling that "it ain't right".

If so, let me know...it's nothing to take a few thou off of the top of the pawl.-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

If this is bothersome , and causes you great angst you can send me the piece. I gladly accept re-gifts. :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30