More Fun With My 1873 Rehab project

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

More Fun With My 1873 Rehab project

Post by rbertalotto »

I bought on Ebay a new bolt and carrier. As I explained in the article I wrote, I thought the original bolt had been shortened so I needed to set the barrel back to correct a headspace problem.

http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/winche ... build.html

But the "new" bolt I just received is actually a few thou shorter than the original bolt! I can't correct this with longer toggles as the two shoulders of both bolts are hard and fast against the receiver and can not be pushed any more forward unless some material is removed from the bolt.

The carrier fits perfectly so it isn't that the frame stretched in this area. Strange...

Seems the only way I'm going to be able to correct is to solder a disc to the front of the bolt and machine and drill a hole for the firing pin.

Onward and forward!!
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
BrentD

Re: More Fun With My 1873 Rehab project

Post by BrentD »

I'm not familiar with W73s but if you do your prescribed fix, will the extractor still be able to reach around and grab the front edge of the rim?

I'm wondering if you might be missing something given that both bolts give you the same, unacceptable answer.

Puzzling through these old guns, when there is no blueprint of correct and proper, is a lot of fun, but also a lot of frustration.

I have had somewhat similar issues with the carrier for my 95 Marlin square bolt. Mostly, it's must my misunderstanding of how it really is supposed to work.

Good luck!
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Yes. You are correct. The extractor will need to be modified. More fun!
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

And......will the firing pin be long enough......

W30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

No, the firing pin will need to be modified or a new one made..... Good call!
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

And the ejector? not sure how that works on the 73s. And will the ejection port be long enough for reasonable length ammo?

Seems like this change you are contemplating has lots of downstream issues. I keep wondering if you are making a mistake in "fixing" it this way. Seems like whatever the problem is, lengthening the bolt face is probably no the correct solution.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Ejection wouldn't be an issue. The chamber length on these 1873 rifles is very proud. Lots of length. When the 38-40 is set up for a revolver and the 180g bullet crimped in the crimp groove, the OAL is easily short for the chamber.

I agree....I sometimes get involved in these projects just to have a project....if you know what I mean. The solution I have currently of the barrel being set back and the carrier modified works great. No feeding or ejecting issues what so ever. But it bugs me that it isn't correct.

Not sure what I'm going to do. Might just leave it alone for now and move on to other projects.......Like building that Remington Hepbun kit I received a few weeks ago.....
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

The Hepburn would be my choice, that's for sure. And then shooting it in every silhouette and long range competition in the country. Basically, that's what I do anyway but I use a Highwall and a '77 Sharps