Another Bear in the Neighborhood

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Another Bear in the Neighborhood

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

My apologies if this has already been posted. I've been working on a couple of projects over the last several months and haven't been able to visit the board as often as I should.

I get a lot of bears in my garage when we forget to put the door down. Usually they're smaller ... often juveniles or cubs with their mother. A couple of weeks back I watched a cub go into my neighbor's garage and drag a 50lb bag of dog food across the cul-de-sac and into the woods behind my house. That little bugger couldn't have been too much larger than the sack but it wrestled it away with determination. As a rule, when I or my wife open the door the bears scoot as fast as their hind paws can get a hookup on the slick concrete and their gone. This one was nabbed in my area and I'm not sure it would even be disturbed at all if I walked into my garage while it was having it's way with my garbage cans.

Record FL Black Bear
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
superchicken
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Another Bear in the Neighborhood

Post by superchicken »

Heh, heh... Cool. That's a huge black bear for anywhere. Heck, that's even pretty big for mountain grizzlies. My in-laws live in Longwood and have had bears in their yard and garage. It's been a relatively recent thing having bears around there. Maybe 6-8 years ago they were pretty rare. Now it's a pretty common thing. If you have a mix of state park land, mixed with easily available garbage and pet food in adjoining subdivisions, you are bound to get problem bears. I'm not so spooked by bears in their natural environment away from towns and campgrounds, but those who are habituated to people are a different story.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That's a bruiser!
NRA Life Member
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

And we're way overdue to get at least a limited hunting season for them. They are overpopulating just like the gators did.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Rusty wrote:And we're way overdue to get at least a limited hunting season for them. They are overpopulating just like the gators did.
Exactly. They are all over Seminole county.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I think I would keep a firearm capable of dropping a big bear near the door if I lived in that part of Florida. A few coyotes and snakes are about all we have to worry about around here.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Dang, ain't that somethin'!

While no issue here, but down the road about 15-20 miles, there's lots of black things getting into other people's personal property. Maybe they are bears, dunno.

Good luck to ya McNut.!-----6 :D
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Piller there was a large porker in the San Antone paper this AM that was captured SW of you.
790 lbs. :shock: That's a lot of pork skins.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

whatever you do.....don't chase that little guy over this way!

How are you doing Bill?
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

RIHMFIRE wrote:whatever you do.....don't chase that little guy over this way!

How are you doing Bill?
I'm good. Just super busy these days. I haven't had the time to go shooting in quite a while. And even if I did, I wouldn't have time to do all of the associated cleaning afterward. :)