For Your Uberti 1873

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

For Your Uberti 1873

Post by Griff »

I now have 2 Uberti 1873 Rifles. A 24" octagon barreled rifle made in 1986, and was one of the 5 original shipped to the US in 45Colt. It reads "Cal .45" the top flat of the barrel next to the receiver. They were nicely finished and had a bit "extra" in the wood... mine has some figure to it... But, in 29 years of cowboy action shooting... it now wears a few dings and scratches... along with a little less blue on the barrel. The most recent acquisition was a 18" ½Rnd/Oct rifle, also in .45 Colt, which is spelled out on the same top flat, next to the receiver as ".45Colt".

This new one, WOW, the trigger block safety spring felt like it belonged under a 1-ton truck! There was more than just a 'little' effort required to release the trigger... and while I've only taken two test shots with it... I knew that for cowboy action, this wasn't going to cut the mustard!

So, first I broke out the trusty Dremel... and trimmed away at the spring... taking care not to remove TOO much metal or get it too hot. I still wanted the dern thing to WORK! I didn't really trim all that much off... but it still felt like a truck spring!

So, I did the prudent thing. I bought a replacement. And, along with new lifter & lever springs. All easy installs. The most difficult part of the install is making sure that you get the sear spring back in position ON TOP of the flat so that it is pushed toward the engagement slot on the hammer... Not really that difficult... but with magnetic screw drivers... sometimes it seems like pieces have a mind of their own! On the trigger block spring, they say you might have to trim the side of the safety to allow clearance for the spring... but neither of mine required anything, but pushing the pin partway out, and setting the spring in place, and pushin the pin back so the pin goes thru the coils. Perfect fit, no sloppiness in the trigger block... and no interference with the sear spring.

The comparison between the old "TRUCK" springs and the new ones.

Other than those, all my toggle link guns are stock. Although... the Henry might just have a few more mods done! :P :P

Now, I haven't fired any of them since I put the springs in... but wowsers... is the action much changed? I hope to shout! Although, the new trigger block spring doesn't hole the lever away, allowing the trigger to be depressed... I don't go around with a round in the chamber... and the now non-existent effort to close the lever all the way, means I won't be overstressing to hold the action in battery, and thereby working at keeping a "light" trigger finger.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: For Your Uberti 1873

Post by Griff »

Oh yeah... I got 3 sets of their hardened screws for the lifter and lever springs... the Uberti ones are soft and are VERY easily buggered, even with proper fitting hollow-ground drivers.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I've got a mid 80s 73 also (Navy Arms marked). It never was really stiff or over sprung but eventually the main spring failed due to the spring being ground at the factory on a bench grinder, causing a stress riser. As you, I went the whole new spring route and it is smoother than all get out. After I bent the barrel back to where it belonged, it is a tack driver also.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I guess the days when you could buy a firearm that functioned smoothly and correctly right out of the box are long gone. I know every new gun I buy needs work to smooth things up.

Griff, where did you buy your springs and screws?

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Shasta wrote:Griff, where did you buy your springs and screws?
SHASTA
The Smith Shop
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

WHere did you by the replacement parts?