Bird hunting in Sonora Mexico

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MingoKid
Levergunner 1.0

Bird hunting in Sonora Mexico

Post by MingoKid »

I count myself fortunate to have a few very good friends. Case in point. Recently I was invited to go, with a friend of mine from my modest military service, to Sonora Mexico. I have hunted squirrels, deer and rabbits since I was a child. I have never bird hunted and have an opportunity to begin with a "Superbowl" hunt. I have been shooting clays and the like but not at feathers. My question is regarding hunting in north western mexico. Have any on this forum hunted there? Any info would be welcomed. MingoKid
I know not what the future holds, but I know who holds the future!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Bird hunting in Sonora Mexico

Post by Pete44ru »

I can't help you out, but will say that, in today's political climate, and the drug-running presence South of the border, "IF" I went at all (doubtful), I would only go provided the host/outfitter supplied the shotgun ILO me taking one across the border that may not be able to be returned home with.

superchicken
Levergunner 2.0

Post by superchicken »

What are you going to be hunting? I've heard of some good dove and duck hunting down there and know a few who have gone there and to South America. Like Pete says, make sure you follow the regs to a T because gun violations down there are serious business and Mexican prisons make ours look like a week at the spa. Generally speaking it's the border areas that are bad for crime. Further south it's not so bad, but you take your life in your hands driving any where down there. Stop signs are optional. Horns are considered a preferred form of communication. Shoulders represent an extra lane for traffic on highways. And one way streets change direction on a schedule known only to locals. My wife was down there a few months ago for a work trip and said, "...and we only go it one accident." Aside from that, you'll have a ball, eat some great food, and probably shoot until you are black and blue.

Buena suerta!
MingoKid
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MingoKid »

I will be using a guide supplied Benelli or Beretta semi auto. Game birds are to be dove and duck. From what I have gathered in the information packet, the guide provides transport to and from hacienda and hunting areas with gun/ bird boys. Our group has been there a few times. However I only know my friend who booked the passage for the two of us. I am really looking forward to going, it is coming quickly now, before the end of the month! :D
superchicken
Levergunner 2.0

Post by superchicken »

Take pictures and post them on here when you get back. Sounds like it'll be a good time. You'll see what I mean about driving in Mexico on the trip from the airport. Buckle up. :D Where are you flying into?
MingoKid
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MingoKid »

Guyamas?
superchicken
Levergunner 2.0

Post by superchicken »

That's further south than I've been. Let us know how it works out.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Back in the day, I did allot of hunting in Mexico. It was a wonderful place. I still live within three miles of the Rio Grande River, but under no circumstances would I cross it. I would not cross it to hunt, nor pick up a million dollars somebody was willing to hand me down there.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Used to fish and hunt down S Texas a lot in the old days and crossed over many times. No more, I'm with Charles - not for a million bucks, I have three kids that expect Daddy home every night.
A good friend has a house on the beach in Mexico and invites me down saying it's no problemo for Gringos in the tourista areas, then I heard about a bag with a dozen heads in it found at an intersection in town...no and hell no.
superchicken
Levergunner 2.0

Post by superchicken »

What you are saying would be like assuming everything in the US is like the crappiest parts of Detroit. There are good places where you can walk the streets and there are places where you can't. The issue is the places you can't in Mexico are way worse than similar places in the US and are more common. Generally speaking, the closer you get to the US, the worse it gets. My wife was down there way south of the border last fall. She is 6' tall and doesn't exactly blend in Mexico. She came back fine and had no problems.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

superchicken wrote:What you are saying would be like assuming everything in the US is like the crappiest parts of Detroit. There are good places where you can walk the streets and there are places where you can't. The issue is the places you can't in Mexico are way worse than similar places in the US and are more common. Generally speaking, the closer you get to the US, the worse it gets. My wife was down there way south of the border last fall. She is 6' tall and doesn't exactly blend in Mexico. She came back fine and had no problems.
Yes, I hear that from people who want to go there and find ways to convince themselves they are safe. There is a good chance they will come back, but there is also chance they will not, not matter what part of they country they visit. But some folks will always find ways to convince themselves it is OK to do what they want to do, and ignore all evidence to the contrary.

You start with the realization that nobody down there is going to look out for you. Not the police, not the government, not the military for they are all either crooks or being paid by the crooks. You are prey of some kind for most everybody in that country. If you come back, it is because the criminals and thugs chose not to have their way with you on any particular day, it is not because you are safe. Your survival depends on the good will of a criminal society. Do you really want to bet your life on that?

99.9% of the folks who live near Mexico and know the public safety situation will not go to any part of that country. Sure you can drive 100 miles and hour with no seat belt and do it until that one day it catches up with you. Sure you can go to Mexico and keep going until that one day it catches up with you. Ask the people who know the risks involved in doing both and they will tell you neither is an acceptable risk.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Bass fishermen on Falcon and Amistad won't get their boats near the border, and Texas has deployed a fleet of gunboats on the lakes
http://www.alipac.us/f12/texas-game-war ... ost1389541

MingoKid
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MingoKid »

Sounds as if it will be interesting. Departure is soon. If I don't respond after next week, it has been a great ride! MK
MingoKid
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MingoKid »

Currently in Mexico. The lodge is great and the people that we have met are very nice. We have 2 Ducks Unlimited region chairmen here. They come down often. So far, greatly exceeds my expectations. I will try to find a way to shrink my photos to post later. Best to all. MK.
superchicken
Levergunner 2.0

Post by superchicken »

Glad you are having a good time. Post pics when you get back.
MingoKid
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MingoKid »

Made it back to the United States of America yesterday. The trip was eye opening. No problems with Mexican soldiers, federales, or immigration. The local police a were a different kind of corrupt. The poverty there is stifling, but the people continue to do with what they can. No complaints or blaming others for their lot in life. The "takers" in our country could learn from these people. Third world problems versus first world problems. MK
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

men with guns - if you get stopped for speeding in Mexico, you don't get a ticket, you get a chance to make amigos - it costs the same as a ticket
the real concern are the drug and kidnapping, which are both organized crime and may include some of the corrupt police
superchicken
Levergunner 2.0

Post by superchicken »

I had an old neighbor once who was of South American descent and worked for the US gov in the foreign service. He told me once that "America does not know how to do corruption". The take home of that is that in most of Latin America bribery and corruption are parts of life that are as normal as postage stamps and fast food are for America. No doubt about it. Trips abroad are always a good reminder of how good the things we take for granted at home really are. I'm glad everything else went well.

Now, show us some pictures. :D
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

It is the citizen responsibility of gun ownership that has made our country this way.
Yamamoto said the only way to beat us would be to march into Washington - without that, he said he could make a year of trouble and then hopefully they could sue for peace.
The number of citizen-owned firearms here is why they didn't try invasion.
But truly, we have the only police force in the world that is here to protect and to serve.
Yes, photos, please.