LNIB circa 1953 Winchester 71 DeLuxe

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

LNIB circa 1953 Winchester 71 DeLuxe

Post by 6pt-sika »

We got a Winchester 71 Deluxe in yesterday . This thing is LNIB original correct factory box with papers and the factory sling and swivels !

And I sold it today before I even got a chance to take pics !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: LNIB circa 1953 Winchester 71 DeLuxe

Post by 6pt-sika »

Oh yeah this thing is also one of the long tang guns .

Only thing that could have made it better was the correct period peep sight :wink:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Here are the pics we put on GB . I was not the one that took these pics .

Granted I've not handled over 7 or 8 of these , this is undoubtedly the nicest I've ever had in my hands .

I wish I had taken the pics of this one to get a little more detail , but they're good enough to give you the idea !!!!!
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

what a treat, doubt there's many out there like that one

ollogger
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

ollogger wrote:what a treat, doubt there's many out there like that one

ollogger
Yep, one like that could tempt ME!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Same guy that brought that 71 in also brought in a factory engraved and cased Winchester Model 21 . That one tempted me more then the 71 !

But then I've never owned a 71 or a 21 .
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Now you know how I feel when I go over to Jack the Dog's house and physically see some of the consignments. :mrgreen:
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Griff wrote:

ollogger
Wow!!
I had the blessing of experiencing that new in box unwrapping of my 1961 model 94. 8)
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

YOW! Made the same year that I was -- but in much better condition ...

:oops: :lol:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

casastahle wrote:
Griff wrote:

ollogger
Wow!!
I had the blessing of experiencing that new in box unwrapping of my 1961 model 94. 8)

Wait until I get around to posting some pics of the Model 21 this gentleman brought in . Thats ones close to being unfired as well .

And before someone says it this guy is a shooter but he owns a pile of nice stuff . Last time I shot sporting clays with him a month or two ago he had a pair of Parker DHE 12 gauge guns with factory 34" barrels . They were restocked to fit him and he had the original stocks at home nice and wrapped up !
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

6pt I think the reason I have trouble shooting s/s's is I don't have a real nice one. A model 21 might make a sure enough sweet Christmas present :P :D
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

That is beautiful. Thanks for posting the pics.

I wish mine looked like that........wait, no I don't. I wouldn't want to shoot it. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

That's about the nicest and most complete one I've ever seen. I don't think it is a long tang though. I don't think long tangs made it on this side of WWII. They certainly didn't make it on this side of Korea. My 1936 tang is about a half inch longer than the pic.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

octagon wrote:6pt I think the reason I have trouble shooting s/s's is I don't have a real nice one. A model 21 might make a sure enough sweet Christmas present :P :D
I've never owned a 21 .

And to be honest I'd never fired one until a few months ago .

But I gotta say as nice as the 21 I mentioned is , I still prefer a nice old Parker/Fox/Smith .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

OldWin wrote:That is beautiful. Thanks for posting the pics.

I wish mine looked like that........wait, no I don't. I wouldn't want to shoot it. :D
You are very welcome !

I am not a Winchester person as such . However a nice 71 , a 1895 in 405 , a 1886 in 50-110 and a 1876 in 50-95 have aloways interested me !

The fellow that bought this rifle is a friend also . He mostly a collector but I still told him if he were buying this thing as an investement he would be wise to put it away and not bother it for a few years except maybe to wipe it off and lightly oil it .

I've sold this fellow several nice Pre 64 Model 70's as well . He's an about to retire doctor as well , so I think this is his collection/extra retirement plan .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Leverluver wrote:That's about the nicest and most complete one I've ever seen. I don't think it is a long tang though. I don't think long tangs made it on this side of WWII. They certainly didn't make it on this side of Korea. My 1936 tang is about a half inch longer than the pic.
I stand corrected I think :)

Dunno my gunsmith buddy is the one who labled it a long tang .

Regardless he got it at a price about $700-800 less then what his advisors at Perry County valued the gun .

In my always biased opinion I think he will have to look long (very long) and hard before he finds a better more complete one .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

octagon wrote:6pt I think the reason I have trouble shooting s/s's is I don't have a real nice one. A model 21 might make a sure enough sweet Christmas present :P :D
Just to tease you a bit !

Another guy brought in about 30 Belgian Brownings last week !

Several Pointer and Pigeon Grade Superposed in 12 and 20 gauge . But the one that caught my eye is a circa 1966 Superposed Lighting Grade 1 long tang round knob 28 gauge skeet that seems to be unfired but without the box . I WANT that one but it has a price tag of $6500 which is about $2000 more then I'm willing to pay even though $6500 is maybe $750 high !
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Apparently, unlike you, I am not living a good clean life. 30 Belgian Brownings :shock: :mrgreen: One of these days I'll have to visit my brother out there and visit your shop. I'll make sure HE brings a pile of $. On your advice, I did go to town and looked at a bunch of Superposed guns, and found nothing in the configuration I was after (26), and no, I didn't put my 34" under the chop saw!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

octagon wrote:Apparently, unlike you, I am not living a good clean life. 30 Belgian Brownings :shock: :mrgreen: One of these days I'll have to visit my brother out there and visit your shop. I'll make sure HE brings a pile of $. On your advice, I did go to town and looked at a bunch of Superposed guns, and found nothing in the configuration I was after (26), and no, I didn't put my 34" under the chop saw!
I dunno about the good clean life . As most of what this guy brought in I cannot come close to affording !
He did bring a very nice Browning Safari in 270 WIN I like and a Bar Gr II in 7mm REM MAG both Belgian of course . But at the moment I'm more shotgun inclined .

In the Superposed line I personally have ;

12 gauge Magnum 30"
12 gauge skeet 26 1/2"
20 gauge skeet 26 1/2"
20 gauge field second year production 28"

I still want ,
12 gauge trap 30" or 32"
12 gauge field double trigger any barrel length
28 skeet 26 1/2"
410 skeet 26 1/2"

It's my understanding that one could get a double trigger or single trigger the first few years they made the Superposed . I've only seen three double trigger guns so far in my lifetime .

Oh my Army buddy that just had his leg amputated brought a very nice Belgian Dianna Grade 12 gauge Superposed back from Japan . I would go after that one , but he made me a no loose deal on a Krieghoff Model 32 . So I don't wanna be greedy !
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Real nice late 71! I noticed that the receiver is drilled and tapped on the side for a receiver sight. My first year (1936) Deluxe 71 is not but does have a "bolt peep sight" set up. When did Winchester stop this practice and start offering the receiver drilled version?
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

kaschi wrote:Real nice late 71! I noticed that the receiver is drilled and tapped on the side for a receiver sight. My first year (1936) Deluxe 71 is not but does have a "bolt peep sight" set up. When did Winchester stop this practice and start offering the receiver drilled version?
I can't answer that but I'm sure someone else will .

I think I would rather have one same year as yours with the bolt sight in the same condition as this one with box and other stuff .
65bee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 65bee »

Winchester started drilling & tapping the 71 for receiver sights around 1947-1948, and about the same time dropped the bolt peep sight. However, I once owned a 1947 vintage standard model that had the bolt peep and also was factory d&t for a receiver sight. About this same time, they changed the hammer from the old-style checkered(like the 1886), to the later serrated style. To me, the old-style was much classier.