Which do you prefer and why?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Which do you prefer and why?

Post by rjohns94 »

Winchester Model 71 OR Winchester model 1886?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Which do you prefer and why?

Post by Walker »

1886 lightweight. Weighs less than the 71, thinner forend, and my wrist likes straight grips better (or shallower pistol grips).
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I had a JapChester 1886EL, and didn't care for it....Never been close to a 71 :oops:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Easy- the 1886. Good range of calibers, solid frame or takedown, straight or pistol grip, octagon or round barrel, just a whole lot more choices over the narrow range of the Model 71.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

1886. It just screams "SERIOUS" levergun!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

EASY...Win. M-71.
No question. The lines of the M-71 are "sexy"..in their own unique way...to me at least.
The 1886 is a very fine rifle, but just looks like a blown-up (size-wise) "cowboy gun", a look that is simply "common".
Nothing wrong with it...just "common".

Ok...flame suit on. Opinions were requested. That's mine...right or wrong to others. :)
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Not much of a Winchester guy but handled both of them over years. To pick one would be the 71. Something about the lines and the OH SOOO smooth action when you lever a round in the chamber.

Mainehunter :wink:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

NEITHER !

Pre 1920 Marlin square bolt 1895 .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I want both.....but
would buy and original 86 45-70 first....
then an original 71...

why....reloading and components
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

6pt-sika wrote:NEITHER !

Pre 1920 Marlin square bolt 1895 .
That gets my vote too.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

'86. I've owned a bunch of 86s and never really missed what to me is just another '86 in 348 with a pistol grip. Right now I am down to 2 '86s, a 26" octagon rifle in 45-90 and a carbine in 45-70. Either one with 300 grain bullets is a pretty good shooter.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Over the last 40+ years of shooting both models extensively, I have many pros and cons of each.

Nothing, and I mean nothing handles as nice or is more ergonomic in the offhand position than the 71. It beats the extra lightweight 1886 by a wide margin, whether or not an 1886 has a pistol grip or straight grip. The balance and more even distribution of weight, slightly heavier barrel all make for one of the best, if not the best lever action ever designed by any manufacturer for snap shooting or plain old offhand shooting. Its my #1 silhouette rifle and thats after using 1873's, 1892's, 1894's, and other Marlins during the last 10-12 years of competition.

The 71 is a much more safer gun to shoot extensively due to its more modern steel.

The 86's have more "soul" and history which stirs the soul more when shooting them. and of course, are better investments, especially ones with condition and rarity.-------------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I'm with you fellers!!

(except the Marlin guys...)

I sure like the style of the 71, but the 1886 comes in more calibers.

Then there's always that Pedersolli (?) 71 that comes in .45-70 :roll:
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

The 86 EL. Because I own it.

There is this:
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/model71_info.htm
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The Winchester/Miroku Model 86-EL +3 !

I've had two, a std/GR1 and a Grade II that I sold the Grade 1 to buy; because I flat enjoy hunting with high grade guns (they give me something to admire druing those slow times afield).

I mounted a Marble's tang peep sight on the GR II - but sure wish I could have afforded the ($250 for the sight + $250 to mill the bolt/install it) Montana Vintage Arms repop bolt peep sight instead.

What I REALLY would have liked, though, was the High Grade Browning M-71 .45-70 conversion that I saw in a Guns Of the Old West article several years ago - The best of both worlds.
(As Hobie said: "So many guns, so little money". :mrgreen: )

Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Howdy,
I have both in Brownchesters..so modern steel. M71 in 50-110 and 86 in 45-70. What I like about the 86 is that the locking lugs are parallel while the 71's have a slight taper. The 71's lugs will kick the lever slightly on a hot load while the 86's will hold until failure. As far as lines and calibers go, what you have on one you can get on the other .
Just my $.02.
John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
65bee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 65bee »

Have had many of both in the last 50 years, and liked them all. Probably had more of an affinity for the 1886 Ex.Lt.Wt. .45-70, though. But last year I lucked into an original 71 carbine with 20" barrel, and this was head-and-shoulders over any of the rest! This gun carries and comes to the shoulder like a dream. I can't imagine any hunter back-in-the-day, with a choice of the 71 rifle or carbine side-by-side in a dealers rack, not choosing the carbine. I am dumb-founded that they weren't more popular. I believe it was because Winchester just didn't push the shorter barrel version? On the other hand, being brought up in the big woods of the Northeast, I always gravitated to carbines anyway.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Truthfully, either one is too big for the type of hunting I do 90% of the time. I used my original 71 standard with a 56 Lyman to shoot a moose in '09. It's a wonderful shooter and has more than enough power for moose.
As 65bee said, I think the 20'' would be the ticket up here.

All this said, I just prefer straight grips, and for this reason would like to try an 86LW in 45-70. I've never owned one but feel it's probably the best hunting option for the 86. The 86 I have is a 1888mfd. 45-90 with a full octagon 26''bbl. It's fun to shoot at the range but borders on ridiculous for hunting in my locale.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Jay,
45 Ben Franklins will get you this 90+ plus extra lightweight 45-70....the sight alone is worth 5---6

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Jack,

Oh man that hurts buddy. I just bought a new truck this week!

I DO have that 64 shorty sittin here but I'm thinking there is loooong money between the two.

Beautiful LW 86 though bud. You got some classy stuff.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

I've got a couple of Browning/Miroku '86s: a rifle and a carbine. I've also had a couple of beater originals. I like the '86 design and that B-86 rifle has sure shone on a few occasions in long range side matches and such.

Never owned a 71, even passed on a deal for either or both configurations of Browning/Miroku 71 that a friend was selling years ago. I was into cowboy action at that time and didn't have any interest in 'em. However, I do have a Model 64A and a 64 Deer Rifle and think they're the cat's meow in the woods...and they're configured very much like a Model 71. It's enough to make even someone as thick as me start to think that maybe I've been missing out.
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Depends, if I'm just going to fondle it while watching tv or sometimes prowling around in the woods I'd say the 86 but for a hunting gun, I'm going with the much flatter shooting .348.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The 86 just seems clunky when compared to the 71. I don`t own either one but if I did the 71 would be my favorite. :wink:
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:The 86 just seems clunky when compared to the 71. I don`t own either one but if I did the 71 would be my favorite. :wink:
Heresy! :shock: :o
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Oh, friend ,I have shot and enjoyed both types of guns but they just don`t float my boat.
I much prefer lighter rifles like the 336A or my favorite the 336SC. Perfect for my type of hunting when chambered in .30-30,.32 sp. or .35 Rem. :wink:
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

71, of course. The 71 is the culmination of everything Winchester learned about making leverguns, and the guys who were running the 71 project put all they had into it, as they saw it as the way to save the lever gun at Winchester (of course, they simply say it as an improved 1886, not real as a new model).

The caliber is perfect - it works well for bear and also for deer. It seems to hit naturally - somehow everyone finds that it is easy to guess holdovers with this caliber. It is based on the most popular configuration of the 1886 at the end of its run; the extra lightweight.

The forend and stock were designed by the best experts and are probably the best stock design for a lever gun. The forend is a little wider, but has no extra depth, so it fits the hand well, gives a positive grip, and does not wreck the lines of the rifle like some of the Marlin forends did. The pistol grip is a good thing, and it is done right. The buttstock has is designed for shooting. It handles recoil well.

This was a rifle built with guy in mind who lived a tough life and needed that one rifle that would do almost everything and always be there with him in the roughest conditions.

The rifle can be cycled upside down without dropping the cartridge. The cartridge itself is tapered and necked down so extremely that feeding is very smooth and positive. Often, when the bolt is thrown open, I can look down and see that the cartridge already slid most of the way into the chamber on its own. It works in the wet and the snow, it feels good with gloves or mittens

The 71 was chambered in for only one cartridge, but what a cartridge! The .348 will hammer a bear, but is not too big for a deer or caribou.

In the originals the steels are better.

I would say that this rifle and cartridge combination probably resulted n the best traditional levergun rifle/cartridge combo ever built.

It might not be as collectable as other rifles, or available in as many calibers, but most rifles you buy will only be one caliber - why not a .348?

If you have Model 71, you have a rifle meant to be used.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Bronco wrote:Howdy,
I have both in Brownchesters..so modern steel. M71 in 50-110 and 86 in 45-70. What I like about the 86 is that the locking lugs are parallel while the 71's have a slight taper. The 71's lugs will kick the lever slightly on a hot load while the 86's will hold until failure.
This is not a problem - you will feel it, but the rifle is still locked up tight. It will let you know if a load is too hot though, before you load even hotter. Also, the .348 is plenty hot enough, and there is plenty of good load data, so there is no need for most people to play around with too-hot loads.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

All things considered, a BLR .358 would be the lever gun choice that makes sense....(Flame suit on, fire at will... :lol: )
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

71 have shot deer and elk with it, it is a hunters rifle just like a 64 is, there's a reason both have the same type stock design drop at the heel and pistol grip & forearm when after game they come up to the shoulder and swing better than most and the 348 is a stomper on game. danny
I've only recovered one 200 gr hornady from a elk 30+" of penetration never recovered a Beartooth 250 they shoot thru & thru 2 holes leaking and its a good bullet if I bump into a brown.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Have both the 71 carbine and the 86 SRC. The 86 is pretty to look at , the 71 handles almost as well as a 94. The .348 is an underrated round by today's standards. It was designed to take ALL alaskan game with it's 200 grain bullet. It worked well back then, no reason why it won't today. Moden 45-70 loadings will take anything on the planet. If I was going to Africa, I'd take the 86.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Griff wrote:1886. It just screams "SERIOUS" levergun!
+1

Plus... I love straight-stock leverguns. 8)
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

Hands down the awesome M-71 because I have 4 of them. There is not enough room here nor can I type fast enough to speak in hushed tone's of the finest levergun ever made. The balance, lines, fit and finish, power of the .348, smooth action and on and on................. Sorry I got carried away :oops:
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Winchester Model 71.
"The WInchester Model 71 rifle chambered in .348 Winchester which was developed especially for this gun. It was produced by Winchester from 1936 to 1957 with a mere 47,000 produced in both standard and deluxe grades. It was meant to be a 50 year tribute to Winchester's famous Model 1886. These guns were a favorite of Canadian and Alaskan trappers of the early 20th century because of the dependable level action paired with the heavy hitting power of the 348 that will stop anything on the North American continent."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Kinda got a soft spot for the 86. Used my grandpa's 45-90 to kill my first deer in 1961. The gun had been his brother's and was in is hands when he was shot and killed circa 1896-1897. My grandpa had to wait till he was 18 years old to take possession of the gun (1900). One of my cousins has the rifle now. I have a Browning SRC in 45-70....it's close enough and a lot lighter than the "ole 90".
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I have a soft spot for both, but a Model 71 saved my life once. It jumped up to my shoulder, fired, and dropped a charging moose 10 feet from me in a split second. I saw it happen.