Let's not forget

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Let's not forget

Post by jnyork »

December 7, 1941, a day which will live in infamy:

http://www.history.com/speeches/fdr-ask ... r-on-japan
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Let's not forget

Post by jeepnik »

Sort of a family holiday. My grandfather's last ship was the USS Vestal. She was moored along side the USS Arizona. My grandfather had been medically retired (heart attack) earlier in 1941. He lost shipmates that day.

After war was declared, my grandfather managed to get his medical status changed and he went back in the Navy (folks from Navy families know about the old chiefs network, and being a "China" sailor just added to his "network"). Sadly he was never able to go to sea to avenge his lost shipmates. He died late in 1942 from a heart attack. Some in the family, me included, think he may have lived longer had he gone to sea. He was truly happy there as no where else.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mom always said I had shirttail relatives on the Arizona that dies. When her and step-dad visited me in 73 (I was stationed at Schofield Barracks) she showed me their names.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Gaucho Gringo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gaucho Gringo »

I having been born 10 years after PH, have only recollections of growing up when it was a big deal. My father joined the Marines the morning after, Dec 8,1941. I have the watch his father gave him when he left for boot camp, on the back was engraved with his initials and date, VLG Dec 8 1941. He was not to see his family for another 3 1\2 years and to never see his sister or grandmother ever again or even attend their funerals as they both died while he was overseas, He was in the first wave in the War in the Pacific, never getting shot but contacting malaria, jungle rot and a few other jungle diseases which probably contributed to his early death at age 56. My FIL joined the Marines in 1944, being younger. He was in the first wave after the bomb on Nagasaki and was the only survivor of his unit that was still alive when I met my wife 32 years ago in 1982. He had health problem to the day he died. I am 64 now and never forget Dec 7, 1941 as to me it is personal in the way it affected both my father and FIL and the others who came home and the families of those who gave their lives and especially those who lost their lives at Pearl Harbor. May we never forget.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

I drink coffee once a week with a 90 yo Marine who fought the Japs in the Pacific Theater. He does not talk about it much and I don't prod him about it ever. I delivered him a truckload of firewood a few weeks ago, and noticed there are no Jap vehicles at his place. He is 6'2" and still a stout fella, and grabbed a big round of firewood under one arm and then tossed it on the porch for that night.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

This is a date that will soon be forgotten more than likely. I'm forty eight and there are a lot of people my age that have no clue what the date means. I had two uncles in the navy in WWll one is still around, just turned 94 I think. He never talks much about the war either. Heard him and some other guys talking once about it and that was only time. My FIL is Polish and lived in the Warsaw ghetto for about a year and was in one of Hitlers "camps" for seven months. He made it to the states right after the war. It's a shame our schools don't teach history and respect anymore. Many parents are the same.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Gaucho Gringo wrote:I having been born 10 years after PH, have only recollections of growing up when it was a big deal.
Too bad the people growing up now don't even think the Twin Towers was a 'big deal'; many of them barely know what happened.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

AJMD429 wrote:
Gaucho Gringo wrote:I having been born 10 years after PH, have only recollections of growing up when it was a big deal.
Too bad the people growing up now don't even think the Twin Towers was a 'big deal'; many of them barely know what happened.
And slick willie knob job gets a full pass for his complacency leading up to it. - Brian
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

http://www.azcentral.com/longform/life/ ... autologin=

some of us remember on purpose

everyone's family history is forever altered even if they don't know about it.

there's more hard rain coming
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Interesting tidbit for the Shaw clan about the Pearl Harbor attack. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Shaw_%28DD-373%29
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My B-I-L's birthday. Sad day. But Pearl Harbor definitely impacted all our lives; same as 9/11 and its aftermath.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Our history is deliberately re-written by liberals. Look at a current history book & you'll see what I mean. :evil:
Merle from PA
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I will never forget. Granted, this was 23 years before I was born, but I was also educated before current leftists rewrote the history of WWII. Visiting the Arizona Memorial was one of the moments of my life I will never forget. God bless them all.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I'm a '39 model so was only 2 at the time but I sure remember ration stamps for just about everything. My Daddy was 4F but he worked at the "Bomber Plant" during the whole thing. I vividly remember VJ (victory in Japan) night when he got drunk and slept all night in the yard. We had many family members serving.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

My grandfather was at Schofield Barracks on the 7th December 1941. He was in the 25th infantry and later went to Guadalcanal and the Phillipines.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Indelibly,Yesterday December 7th, I saw the Battleship Arizona blow up like I had never seen before.... This was because
Hi Definition Digital footage was recently rendered from the original print (resides in the National Archives)that was made that fateful day... Stop frame and SloMo revealed astonishing detail... Revealed were two near miss bomb splashes right next to her bow ... Then her forward tower heaving up 30 ft. upon detonation of the fatal bomb strike in her magazine...Objects identified as burning powder bags that were flung from the magazine were revealed tumbling away... The resulting simultaneous 10 foot tidal wave from the explosion is shown crashing ashore on Ford Island... There are many other fascinating details that are too difficult to describe ... A picture is worth 1K ...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY