Marlin 1894 ponderings

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Marlin 1894 ponderings

Post by hondo1892 »

What is a practical range for popping coyotes with a 32-20? I would like to have one of the Marlin 92's but I know a 32-20 would be deadlier. So I'm thinking maybe a Marlin 1894 maybe a newer CL so I can scope it. I have a Japchester in .44 mag I can trade with. I also thought about a .22 mag levergun but feel that they are to little for coyotes at more than fifty yards. I would like something that will roll on at a hundred yards. I really have the gun itch but can't afford to buy plus I have more than I can shoot regularly any how.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Marlin 1894 ponderings

Post by Griff »

hondo1892 wrote:What is a practical range for popping coyotes with a 32-20? I would like to have one of the Marlin 92's but I know a 32-20 would be deadlier. So I'm thinking maybe a Marlin 1894 maybe a newer CL so I can scope it. I have a Japchester in .44 mag I can trade with. I also thought about a .22 mag levergun but feel that they are to little for coyotes at more than fifty yards. I would like something that will roll on at a hundred yards. I really have the gun itch but can't afford to buy plus I have more than I can shoot regularly any how.
If I told you 25 yards, and you can't hold a group at that range, I'd be wrong... It would, for me... depend on the bullet and how well it shot from my rifle... again, with me holding it... :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

It think that 100 yard estimate is very doable. I bought one with that in mind many years ago... but then the wife found out I still owed a friend money on the rifle... and it got returned... As I found out when I went to get it from the safe... Now, every new gun I buy is "the son's"!!! She won't return his stuff! 8) :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've popped large woodchucks, cats, etc out beyond 100 yds with my Winchester '92s in .32WCF with no problem.
I doubt a coyote would stand any chance against an SP from a .32-20

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The normally available bullets probably don't expand much at extended range, but they do punch holes 'way out there', and holes are what ultimately kills things. More internal damage from expanded bullets does it faster.

The real issue is - can you 'range' your target and actually hit it, given the relatively slower velocities of typical 32-20 bullets out past 100-200 yards. A rangefinder fixes that, or you may have the ability to even put markers out in your target area, or range various trees and other reference points.

I would expect the 'vital zone' of a coyote to be at least an 8" circle centered on the thorax, so whatever range you can hit a 8" circle would be fine, IF you can adjust for proper elevation/range.

Our forefathers hunted whitetail deer with 32-20's.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I have a 94 32-20 and my loads are a 115 lead flat point at 1180 fps. out to 100 yds they are dead meat. Now if I scoped it and loaded 100 gr xtp H.P's to 1800 fps (doable) I would feel 175 yds would be easy.
I love it, quiet, cheap to shoot and effective.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

It sounds like the general consensus is 100 yd., and I agree. Mr. Coyote is a pretty tough critter.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

I was going to set up at 100 yards to shoot a 'yote... but the wireless remote for the caller only works to 75 yards. I think that's too close for Wiley Coyote.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

A hundred yards is a long shot for the area I hunt. Mostly trees so I don't get any long range shots. If it can take one out at a hundred yard I should be good for ninety eight percent of my shots.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

EdinCT wrote:I have a 94 32-20 and my loads are a 115 lead flat point at 1180 fps. out to 100 yds they are dead meat. Now if I scoped it and loaded 100 gr xtp H.P's to 1800 fps (doable) I would feel 175 yds would be easy.
I love it, quiet, cheap to shoot and effective.
Now here is a guy who knows his 32-20's. I may add that even a gas checked 100 grain bullet will make dead meat to 200 yards....easily.

Beware of the man who really knows his rifle.

On calm days....off the bench......it's a 98% hit ratio on the 300 meter pig with 115 plain base traveling 1400. -----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Six do you shoot the 25WCF that good, I cant remember. If you do what load is it?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Turtleman,
In all honesty....no. I have played with maybe 15 25-20's over the years and the only one that shoots consistently good with most bullets is the Remington model 25.......which by the way, I just shot 20 rds out of it an hour ago.

Winchesters of varying vintage have different throats and chamber dimensions and you really have to experiment to see what works. For the most part, the 70 grain Lyman gas check bullets shoots the easiest with minimal experimentation. Keep the velocity around 1300-1500.

For the Remington model 25, I use the Lyman 70 gr. gas check with 6.5 grains of AA# 7 with a small rifle primer for 1600+

For jacketed bullets of which I only shoot sparingly, nothing beats the 70 gr. Speer softpoint and for that, I use 7.5 gr. of AA#7. That's the load I won my class (AAA) in the Pa. Regionals with two years ago....out of a Model 53 Winchester. That bullet is a no brainer with about any load but......I hate paying for jacketed bullets......So I reserve them for serious competition.

The 32-20 shoots great with about anything you can stuff in it....similar to the .308, .223, or the grand old '06.-------------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I've downed several coyotes with shots of approx. 75 yards using my 22 MAG rifle. The bullet hits like a little grenade. Based upon my experiences, I'd say that coyotes are easy to kill with chest shots.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm thinking (uh oh :shock: ) that if you can hit it good, it will die regardless of the range.... I'm also thinking that the heavier bullets will be more effective at longer ranges....Set up a paper plate at 200 yards, and work backward....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I saw Fox and Coyotes that my dad hit with his .243 That were trying to get away and tripping on their own guts. These critters don`t want to lay down and die easily.That is why almost all serious varmint hunters use high velocity .22`s and up. The oldies like the hornet,bee and such will get the job done for sure but within reasonable range. Tipping a steel pig or ringing a gong is one thing. DRT on a coyote is another.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:...almost all serious varmint hunters use high velocity .22`s and up. The oldies like the hornet,bee and such will get the job done for sure but within reasonable range. Tipping a steel pig or ringing a gong is one thing. DRT on a coyote is another.
Even tho' I've never sold a pelt or put in for the bounty, I ain't exactly jokin' around when I hunt 'em with my .30-30! And if I hit 'em, I ain't lost 'em either. :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:I saw Fox and Coyotes that my dad hit with his .243 That were trying to get away and tripping on their own guts. These critters don`t want to lay down and die easily.That is why almost all serious varmint hunters use high velocity .22`s and up. The oldies like the hornet,bee and such will get the job done for sure but within reasonable range. Tipping a steel pig or ringing a gong is one thing. DRT on a coyote is another.
No offense, but gut-shot anything ain't gonna die right away.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

"No offense, but gut-shot anything ain't gonna die right away."
Very true my friend, but the .244 (6mm Rem) shooting a 90-100 gr. bullet is a lot more gun than a ..32-20 with a 100 or so gr. bullet going maybe 11-1200 fps at 100 yd. Then an accurate shot means a kill or lost animal.
By the way those rare gut shot Foxes were usually from running shots. I have seen him dump running Fox and Coyote from offhand at 300 yd.

Griff , As a kid in the 50`s I used to go out to the Fox tree and cut off a pair of ears and stop at the court house and collect $2.00 (bounty) on the way to school for lunch money. :D
Image That picture came from the Cedar Rapids Iowa News paper, 1955. What he is wearing or holding is his entire hunting outfit. No dogs,calls or quad. Stalk and shoot.
He turned 91 a week ago and still drives himself around and lives alone but near by.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:I saw Fox and Coyotes that my dad hit with his .243 That were trying to get away and tripping on their own guts. These critters don`t want to lay down and die easily.That is why almost all serious varmint hunters use high velocity .22`s and up. The oldies like the hornet,bee and such will get the job done for sure but within reasonable range. Tipping a steel pig or ringing a gong is one thing. DRT on a coyote is another.
Maybe I gots to use a 375 Ruger......... :twisted:

250 gr Hornady bullet outta do nice out to 300 yd with minimal correction....

Muzzle - 2900 fps - 4668 ft-lbs @ -1.5"
100 yd - 2685 f/s - 4001 ft-lbs @ 1.7"
200 yd - 2480 f/s - 3413 ft-lbs @ zero
300 yd - 2284 f/s - 2895 ft-lbs @ -7.3"
400 yd - 2097 f/s - 2440 ft-lbs @ -21.7
500 yd - 1919 f/s - 2044 ft-lbs @ -43.3"
375 Ruger vs 270 Win.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Chuck 100 yd wrote: . Tipping a steel pig or ringing a gong is one thing. DRT on a coyote is another.
This.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

AJMD429 wrote:
Maybe I gots to use a 375 Ruger......... :twisted:

.3"
Nothing wrong with using something big enough to ensure the animal doesn't take 3 hours to die in agonizing pain-- and if you can shoot it well , why not

That said, a big gun that makes the shooter flinch and pull 6" at 100 yards is not doing anybody any favors (not you Doc, it irritates me to see a guy step up from a 243 or a 223 AR to a light rifle in 300 Win Mag and then spray the landscape with bullets because he cant handle the gun)

Sadly- with the dumb stuff happening in society today, i feel more compassion for animals, even vermin or pest animals, than i do a large portion of society - the last gut shot animal i saw caused me to weep Silently and i exhausted all my available daylight and most of a night trying to find and correct another hunters mistake
----- Doug
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Streetstar wrote:Sadly- with the dumb stuff happening in society today, i feel more compassion for animals, even vermin or pest animals, than i do a large portion of society - the last gut shot animal i saw caused me to weep Silently and i exhausted all my available daylight and most of a night trying to find and correct another hunters mistake
I agree. Coyotes are just being coyotes; terrorists, rapists, and tyrants, are the ones deserving slow painful deaths... :(
Streetstar wrote:Nothing wrong with using something big enough to ensure the animal doesn't take 3 hours to die in agonizing pain-- and if you can shoot it well , why not. That said, a big gun that makes the shooter flinch and pull 6" at 100 yards is not doing anybody any favors (not you Doc, it irritates me to see a guy step up from a 243 or a 223 AR to a light rifle in 300 Win Mag and then spray the landscape with bullets because he cant handle the gun)
Actually, I agree.

I was partly being silly, and actually, the 'Hawkeye Alaskan' version of the 375 Ruger seems so easy on the shoulder, and I always wear ear protection, that once I (someday) develop and shoot lots of loads in it, I could see it becoming my 'primary' bolt action rifle. It can truly cover a huge range of tasks.

For now, if I shoot at a coyote not dumb enough to stumble within 100 yards when I'm in a deer stand with the 44 Mag, it will likely be with a 223 Rem. Maybe sometime a 338 Lapua at longer range, but I've not developed any loads for that either. (I need to get caught up on my finances, and then spend some weekends actually SHOOTING the guns I've invested in over the years...)

Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Paco's article on loading the 32-20.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/3220wcf.htm

He discusses the rifle as a coyote gun and clearly sees it as such. He mentions shooting a small bear with his feral dog load. Some feral dogs are tough like a wolf. Factory 32-20 loads are rabbit and small varmint loads in my opinion, but a ton of fun without a danger zone that includes the next township!

Handloaded a 32-20 is a dandy lever action cartridge for coyotes within 100 yards. I've not shot one with my 32-20 but loaded up to modern rifle standards it is a good round. A flat nose 120 grain 30 cal cast bullet above 1800 fps with a big wide nose will deliver some serious thump within a 100 yards. It seems that a Marlin 94 will easily send a jacketed bullet down range at 2200 fps, Paco's load suggest 2300 but I'm a little more conservative than him. I use the Hornady XTPs as I bought a bunch once years ago. A 7.62X39 120 grain range is around 2400 fps. IMO only that is deer power to 100 yards, certainly coyotes. Since you plan a scoped lever the precision placement is possible.