Range Days - 6 .45 Colt Rifles - picture heavy

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Range Days - 6 .45 Colt Rifles - picture heavy

Post by Griff »

So, this morning, I went out to the reloading shop and loaded up 100 45 Colt loads with my cast RCBS 45-CAV-225 bullets. Lubed with Lyman Alox (black) lube and sized to .452.

I also installed the new handle on my Dillon 550B, it includes a roller grip and is curved away from the reloader, in order to get up closer to the machine. I was sitting on my stool loading, and while it takes a slightly increased force at one point in the stroke, it is much more comfortable, I don't have to bend in order to complete the stroke at it's lowest point. Pic:

Here's the completed setup, with just a couple of rounds left on the machine to finish the 100:

Powder & load:

I'd dropped about 5 or 6 test drops to ensure that I kept at that 6.5 grains of RedDot, then checked every 20-25 rounds, and checked the last few off the press. So I was confident that my charges would be quite consistent. Whether that was borne out in the shooting, you can be your own judge!

For me, the shooting was probably just about what I'd expect... not terribly good, but some of that was due to irons, the sunlight was good, but on a couple of rifles, I had to 'shade' the back sight to be able to pick out the front. I probably should have put up the awning, but... I was fine with it as it was. I simple set up the target stand against my 'berm' around my stock tank and paced off 50 paces... it might have actually been a tad beyond 50 yards...

View from behind the firing line:

1st up, the 1873 Uberti, 24-¼" octagon barrel. Rifle is a 1986 production and probably has over 200K rounds downrange... The first string is on the lower left target... but surprising me were the readings on the chronograph:
Shot #1-1828, #2-1835, #3-1801, #4-1775, #5-1794. What the....? I was flabbergasted! These were nice plinking loads, not a single one pushed harder than any of my cowboy loads! In fact I've used this loading as my competition load in CAS for many years... never have they chrono'd in that range. But really, for loads made up on a progressive, and ES of 60 and average of 1801fps and SD of . If they were going that fast... which I doubt. I redid that rifle on another target where the bullet path would have been farther away from the sensors and found the fps were much more in line with the other 4 rifles.
#1-1076, #2-1090, #3-1084, #4-1051, #5-1055. ES of 39, SD of 17.4 and average of 1071. This group is on the upper right target.

Next up, the Uberti 1860 Steel Henry, 24-¼" octagon barrel. Rifle is a 2008 production an probably less than 1K rounds downrange. Shots measured 1073,1109, 1023, 1103, 1116 for an ES of 93 and SD of 38.2 and average of 1084.4.

3rd rifle up is the Rossi 1892 "Short Rifle". 20" octagon barrel from EMF Co. It was purchased new in 2004 and has less than 5K rounds thru it... I have used it cowboy action and Wild Bunch shooting... mostly WB... This one surprised me. It's target is the middle right one. Shots were 1072, 1097, 1098, 1101, 1083. ES of 29, SD of 12.3 and an average of 1090fps!

#4 rifle is the Browning 1885 with 24" ½-Oct/Rnd barrel. I had the hardest time with its sights as the sun really reflected off the back of the rear sight... It also shot quite high, with one shot cutting the edge of the backer up high, & walked the remaining 4 down... with the final shot between that upper and middle left targets... just above and to the right of the 1st two shots from the 1860. I was using a spotting scope so I knew that I needed to keep adjusting downward, but the rear sight was already on the lowest step of the elevator... and I was trying to hold under... Maybe if the sights were so 'shiney', it might have been better. I was actually expecting the BEST performance from this rifle... so I need to figure out something... I have a tang sight on this rifle, but... the rear sight is in the way... and I had too small a aperature for the lighting conditions. Anyway, the 5 shots from it were: 1098, 1086, 1071, 1079, 1054 for an ES of 44, SD of 16.5 and average fps of 1077.

The last rifle was my 1894 Marlin, 17" octagon barrel. I only fired one round from this rifle as it doesn't feed 45Colt thru the action... the carrier's been modified to feed the Cowboy45Special... but that one round clocked in at 1078fps.

So for a total of 21 shots I ended up with an ES of 93, SD of 21.1 and an average of 1080.8. To me, for production type ammo from 5 different rifles these are real world numbers...

Oh... the groups you say?

I now don't know if it was me... or every rifle... but each time, the 1st shot was higher than the remaining 4. Each rifle's 1st shot was from a clean bore. The only one I then tried to 'walk' shots into the black was the 1885... as it was initially nearly off the cardboard. There's one shot @ ~7 o'clock, just off the edge of the right middle target, that was the 1 shot out of the 1894 Marlin. There ARE 5 shots in that line from center on that target from the Rossi 1892... Again, I LIKE that rifle!

Frankly, these weren't the best lookin' bullets I've ever cast... and they were actually sitting in the house on top of my safe for at least 2 years since they were sized and lubed... almost directly under a a/c-heater vent... some of the lube was dried out and flaked off while loading... My shooting didn't help! But, I'd say that with good bullets, well lubed and loaded with consistent charges, there ain't any reason that any good couldn't shoot well with the twist rates these 5 rifles have. Whether they'll ever been MOA rifles... who knows?
Last edited by Griff on Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Range Day - 5 .45 Colt Rifles - picture heavy

Post by Dusty Texian »

Looks like you had a good day out shooting. Very nice rifles. Happy Thanksgiving ,,,,,,DT
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Good old red dot :-))

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

What a great bunch of rifles! I have to say my Rossi 92 .45 with 24" octagon barrel matches the performance of your short rifle -- which is to say, sweeeet! :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Great range report and looks like fun.

Maybe the picture doesn't reflect the angles well, but it does look like you could have been sending lots of ricochets out past the tree-line. Hopefully no neighbors that way...

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

That berm is about 6' high behind the target... and the target stands a little under 4'. Berm is soft, sandy dirt fill from the pond behind it. But, any structures in that direction are over a mile away. Nothing but pasture in between. However, I watch for where the neighbor's cows are before I do any shooting.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Very fine bunch of guns Griff!
I was shooting a 45 today trying to sight in a new rec. sight had to call it off @#%%^!!# WIND

ollogger
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Looks like it was agreat way to spend the day. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

ollogger wrote:Very fine bunch of guns Griff!
I was shooting a 45 today trying to sight in a new rec. sight had to call it off @#%%^!!# WIND
ollogger
Duh! Wyoming = wind!

I have no such excuse... there was just the barest hint of a breeze! Gonna go out tomorrow and drop off two Marlin 1894s to a stock maker to have him fix what I can't... then coming home for more loading! I need some more CAS ammo, and some WB stuff... In the midst of making labels so I don't waste ammo like I sometimes do now...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Griff,
There ain't nothing better than a good ole boy redneck with redneck tendencys like me. Me too, I don't worry about bullets sitting around for a while.......I never really noticed the difference anyway.

Don't worry 'bout those groups....they look like mine anymore. Good enough for "minute of torso" :D

There's just something about 6 grains of Red Dot and a 250 gr cast...or your load of 6.5 with a 225. As you know, Red Dot burns like Bullseye. I have a few boxes of original military 45 L. Colt ammo made by the Frankford Arsenal that have "6 grs. Bullseye" stamped on them.

As for the "berm", don't concern yourself...if any idiot has the stupidy to walk around in the woods when there's shooting going on, they need to catch some lead....you know, it will help to cleanse the gene pool.-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

It's the cows I concern myself about... anyone out in those woods would be trespassing!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Griff wrote:
ollogger
Duh! Wyoming = wind!
What does a truck driver know about Wyoming wind???? :lol: I had to come home that way a couple of weeks ago to avoid the bad roads in SD. I think I would have preferred the snow pack to the wind. I remembered why I seldom go that way.

You have 5 guns in .45 Colt??? What do you shoot on Monday and Tuesday?? :(
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Consummate showman Griff! Consummate showman ! :D :D

My favorite cartridge - my favorite "platform" (leverguns in general) - and here you are wringing out 5 of them at once !

Bravo sir
----- Doug
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Streetstar wrote:Consummate showman Griff! Consummate showman ! :D :D
My favorite cartridge - my favorite "platform" (leverguns in general) - and here you are wringing out 5 of them at once !
Bravo sir
Ssshhh... it's about to become six! Got my eye on the Cimarron "Brush Popper"!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

ollogger
And around here, that's til June :mrgreen:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Well... #6 got here... but it's a Taylor's & Sons ½-rnd/oct 18" barrel. Same one I put new lever/lifter & trigger safety springs into.

So today... I go out to test these same loads in the this rifle... er... picked up the wrong box... these were 200 grain round nose with 6.3 grains of RedDot.

Then got stuck in the front pasture... note to self... big heavy V-8 diesel & 6-spd auto trans sink into mud VERY quickly when fully saturated black, gumbo mud is present! One of those cases where more speed might have pushed me thru... not easin' along at 3 mph! Half an hour later, & usin' good 'ol farm tractor... truck is pulled out and back in the driveway...

So, I just set up the chrono at the pasture edge and shot into the mud! This rifle chrono's these loads at: 1082, 1083, 1019, 1067 & 1090. I noticed when I opened the box I'd segregated the loaded rounds by actual bullet weight... these were all weighed at 190.1 grains... But individual charges weren't weighed, not were bullet diameters checked...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Range Days - 6 .45 Colt Rifles - picture heavy

Post by Sixgun »

Griff,
You got stuck with a dually? That sucks....the worst part is getting the 6 thousand pounds of mud that gets over the entire undercarriage. Good thing you did not use the Black Rose to get her out......I've seen them stuck.....sometimes for days. :D

Ok. On to the rifle......that's all you did was shoot 6 rounds into the mud and got some velocities........all of which are match velocity.....they will be accurate. And for that you paid untold hours of aggravation and cleaning?

Sorry bro......been there myself many times.......a couple of years ago, I got "ole Yeller" stuck out back....so I got the Rubicon to pull it out and got that stuck too........got the Kubota out to pull both of them out. Took me a week to clean them all up. The funny thing about it all was that I can't remember why I even drove Ole Yeller out there. :D ------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Range Days - 6 .45 Colt Rifles - picture heavy

Post by Griff »

Yep, went to a Wild Bunch match today and used this 1873... didn't miss a single rifle target. But, they aren't all that far. Now, tomorrow it'll be cowboy action!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JReed wrote:Looks like it was agreat way to spend the day. :D
+1 :mrgreen: